Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=53e6f8fcebdb47bbf790237fa361fe8dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amelia's Jyn WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Amelia's Jyn WIP Reply with quote

This is going to be a long post, and this is the Reader's Digest version of how I ended up here....

I cried after I saw Rogue One - not because of the ending, but because when I watched the movie, for the first time I could remember, I related with a female movie hero. I felt so empowered watching Jyn's story.

I absolutely love this movie. I loved the entire cast of characters. I loved the story. I might have a problem in that, at this point, anything that has ROGUE ONE slapped on it usually ends up coming home with me. (I bought Rogue One Chex Mix in a flavor I was meh about because it had Jyn and Cassian on the bag).

I decided (with some gentle enabling from one of my bffs) that I would dress up as Jyn for the Halloween party the martial arts school I teach at holds (fun job; not my day job). I told myself it would be fun for the kids because they like Star Wars, and Jyn knows how to fight, so it was perfect. (Spoiler Alert: I was rationalizing; I just wanted an excuse to dress up as Jyn). That was in January. I put together a costume with stuff I owned and stuff I bought on the Internet.

I decided I didn't like the scarf I had for the costume. It was too short. I couldn't find a scarf I liked. I looked everywhere. It suddenly struck me that the scarf I wanted did not exist. I was then faced with a decision: not get the scarf I want for my Jyn costume or learn how to sew and make it myself.

At the end of May/beginning of June, I learned how to sew. I inherited my grandmother's WWII era sewing machine, and it had been sitting in a closet gathering dust. Although I had not sewn before and had no idea what I was doing, I wanted a Jyn Scarf and I was going to get one if it was the last thing I did. I set the machine up and read the yellowing instruction book. I figured out how to sew pieces of fabric together and I made myself a scarf. I was quite pleased with myself for figuring out how to sew in a straight line. I understand this is very basic, but for me, it was huge. Sewing was terrifying and I had just done it.

Around the time I was going through my scarf decision angst, through the bff-enabler, I met another Jyn fan who was also making a Jyn costume. After we geeked out over how amazing Rogue One is, she invited me to meet a bunch of Jyn cosplayers. I was intimidated because they knew how to sew and I had made a scarf, but they were super nice and encouraged me. I decided to make a holster and a belt.

I learned that it was a thing to try to make costumes look as close to the movie as you can, so I spent a lot of time staring at the pictures in the Rogue One Visual Guide (because...it said Rogue One so I bought it eons ago) and trying to copy the belt. More sewing was involved. It took me three nights of after-work working (about 6 hours total) and two weekend days (about 20 hours total) to make it. This was in June.

In July there was a lot of life stuff so creativity time didn't happen. BUT at the end of July, there was a con near me. Jyn-friend and bff-enabler encouraged con attendance by pointing out that I could walk around dressed in my costume all day. Being a 10 year old in a 30 year old body, this sounded appealing. I ended up finding a local friend who was already going and would teach me about cons, and off I went wearing my piecemeal costume. I came home and was basically like, "I want to do that again." I'm an introvert, so for me to go, "I want to do that again" where "that" involved people means I really really enjoyed it.

August starts. I decided I was going to make Jyn's vest. I'm going to post more about that actual process in a later post, because it's a really long, long story. I taught myself So. Much. Sewing. I bothered anyone and everyone I knew who knew something about sewing with questions. (The other Jyn cosplayers are saints). The help desk at JoAnn's knows me now. It took me 22 days and over 100 hours (I stopped counting at 100). BUT - I made the vest. It was a labor of love, because I was going to do it right. Any time I thought, "maybe this is good enough," I stopped myself, tore it out, and redid it over and over until it was not "good enough" but "as good as I can possibly do." It's probably the nicest piece of clothing I own. The only thing I am waiting on for the vest is the screen accurate hook, which is currently in a package being shipped to me from Europe. It should arrive any day.

As I wait on the hook, I'm starting on the pants. That's the next project. Bought my fabric today. Here's my checklist of stuff:

Vest - mostly done
Shirt - done (bought from another Jyn)
Pants - next project
Boots - I want to darken the paint on my flaps just a smidge so they're perfect but then they'll be done
Holster - I have a little patch work to do and this is essentially done
Gloves - I have a new pair that should meet standards after they are weathered; need to weather.

So that's where I was with my costume. And now Jyn-friend has enabled me to do this. So...deep breath...here I go.
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wonderful, thank you for sharing your story and journey of costume building and self-teaching! You definitely can be proud of yourself!

Isn't it a great feeling when you overcome an obastacle, do your research, try again and again and end up with something that you made yourself? Smile
It can be frustrating too, of course, in the middle of the way.
But I see it as lession in patience and progress and as a crucial part of that hobby, of being a member of the legions, besides the charity aspect.
I am pretty sure that there are worse ways of spending your leisure time *g*.

All the best for your work in progress, I am looking forward to seeing it!

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive (Jawa) & Docking Bay 94 Fringe (Jyn Erso) //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps (Adm. Daala flightsuit)
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, AgnesAUT! It definitely has been one of the most empowering things I've done. I still have times when I look at what I made and think, "this started as a stack of fabric?" There was a point part of the way through where it started to look like clothes and I just jumped around the room happily while emitting a high pitched "eeeee" sound.

And, yes, definitely experienced the frustration. I agree with what you say about it being crucial to the process. Having to put in the time to learn and having to go through the struggle makes it better. If it was easy, I wouldn't appreciate what I've been through and what I've learned nearly as much as I do!

I got my hook so I'll try to find a way to post pictures later this weekend. I've also got my fabric for the next step and it's whispering, "come, start the project" so I'm at least going to cut things out and pin them tonight. I see YouTube videos about how to make pintucks in my future. Smile
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm working on pants. (Still have to write up the vest, but...in the middle of pants!)

I'm using a Butterick 6327 (B version) pattern. So far, I've modified it by removing pockets because the rules say no pockets and adding seams to the front and back of the legs (because Jyn's pants have seams there but the pattern does not). I am about halfway done (I think).

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21151728_1862878887072413_7539188306298191697_n.jpg?oh=3ccf831745c2ab134ed8a8949e35f59d&oe=5A53DCDB

Will need to figure out how to show Facebook images here. For now, link!

Required things included thus far:
Rules say black is one of three allowed colors - so black!
They are cotton.
I have my seams done on the front and sides. (Need a better pic to show this, but they're there).
Has a high waist.

Tomorrow I'm adding the waistband and the tab, the pintucks, and the casing/strap ensemble.

Knock on wood, but either I got a LOT better at sewing thanks to the vest or this is not as hard as the vest. Of course, this may change. Stay posted for pintuck adventures!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up the pants except for the rectangles on the casings. I was planning to hand embroider them, but I can't get the needle in far enough to do two rectangles. Ordered suede patches from Amazon and will make them out of iron on suede since tan/gray suede is permitted.

Added 8 pin tucks
Added waistband
Added tab that lines with right front leg seam
Added casings, strap, and buckle

It was really hard to get all 8 pin tucks into that little space. There was a lot of seam ripping until I got them. Phew!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girl on a Mission - working on my gloves. Took awhile to figure out how deglazer works. Ha. Making good progress now.

Also FINALLY figured out the right combination of paint for my boot flaps. Totally worth taking them apart and repainting them.
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to lie....I also bought the Chex Mix because it had Jyn and Cassian on it. Mr. Green

And welcome to costuming!!!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, you need Rogue One things - to include Chex Mix!

And thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: