Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4f2ae95907051176634925635ef29d00Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Briefing Room Leia Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Rebel Briefing Room Leia Build Reply with quote

I had a friend ask me to help him put together an Endor Luke Skywalker costume and in doing the research on it, I decided I would make a Leia to match his for when we go to events.

This looks like a very simple costume in theory but once I started researching it further, I realized there is rarely something super simple in the Star Wars universe. Surprised

I am always striving to improve on my meager sewing skills and decided that this would be a good challenge so dove right in.

Pants are not my strong suit so I hit up the thrift store in the hopes I would find a good base. Luck was with me as I found a pair of Merona pants that were exactly my size, the correct material and needed very simple modifications to fit the current standard. They were beige so I needed to dye them blue but that was really easy to fix. I also removed the belt loops from the pants and I was set for the base.

I used RIT dye in "Sapphire Blue" (5 capfuls) to achieve the color blue I wanted. I found the perfect 1 inch yellow ribbon at JoAnn's and spent the last two nights hand sewing the ribbon down the sides of the pants. All I can say is thank goodness for Netflix! It made the sewing easy to get through when I had something to watch and listen to in the background.

I did a preliminary try on with the pants last night and they look great! I don't currently have the correct boots so I just tried them on with a pair of my black Jedi boots just to get an idea. I think overall it works and am pleased with the progress so far.

I also found the perfect shirt at the thrift store to match. It was a very light beige so I plan on dyeing it a bit darker with RIT dye in "Taupe" once I remove all the extra pieces I don't need. I found a men's shirt with the proper collar and extra long sleeves that would work as a base, if nothing else. I plan on using the extra length on the sleeves to make the pockets etc. That will be worked on, and hopefully finished, tomorrow. Progress photos to come.

Leia wears a compad watch looking thing and I lucked out and was able to find it in a free 3D print file on Thingiverse. My friend graciously printed it out for me and will be shipping it to me shortly. Once it arrives, I can sand and paint it.

This is what the print looks like fresh out of the printer. The one on the right is Leia's and the one I will be using for this costume.

I found a cheap watchband at Walmart and plan on using that as the base and then attaching the print to the band.

We will be printing her greeblie tonight. Here is what it looks like straight out of the file:

I checked out military supply stores and all the belts only come in 1.5 inches and not the 2 inches needed for Leia's belt. I purchased the material to make it at JoAnn's (which luckily comes in 2 inch width!) and dyed it last night using some leftover RIT polyester dye that I had at home.

The belt closure was a bit confusing to me so I asked around. Luckily I have many friends who were in the military and they informed me the proper name for the belt buckle used is a "roll pin". You can purchased the buckle at Army Surplus stores as they come with nylon BDU belts. I found the buckle online from Amazon for only $7.99 and have that coming in in the next few days.

I also purchased 2 Rubie's toy blasters and will be modifying them to make the one needed in the standards. My friend, who made my Rey staff and my Jyn IGC batons, loves to make props and he is going to be putting it together for me this week.

I found a great pattern that can be modified to make Leia's vest. It even has the cap sleeves needed!

I plan on omitting the bottom portion of the pattern and then adding in the stitch detail needed for her vest.
Question for anyone who has made this though. Does Leia's vest have darts? It's hard to tell. The pattern I bought has them in it but I don't need to add them if they aren't required.

I also found beautiful gray fabric on clearance at JoAnn's last night and as it was on clearance, I got 2 yards for $7! I cut out the pattern and laid it out last night on the fabric and cut everything out this morning.

I'm hoping to make the vest this weekend as I have a build day planned with a few friends.
Very Happy

I had a question for the judges on the pouches needed for this costume. The holster for the blaster is stated as needing to be leather. The pouches are supposed to be twill. In looking at other approved people with this costume (and in speaking to a few very recently approved Leia's), most are making the pouches with leather/pleather and being approved with them. Is this acceptable? My friend will be making the holster and possibly the pouches and I wanted to confirm this before he started on them.

If anyone has any tips/tricks/comments on this costume, please let me know! I am excited to finally see it start to come together. Mr. Green

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that watch/wrist piece is sooooo cool

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)
Executive Officer, Alderaan Base (2017-2018)
Membership Officer, Alderaan Base (05/2016-10/2017)

In Progress:Loyalist Senate Gown Padme, Mustafar Padme

Photos by Robbins Studios
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:
that watch/wrist piece is sooooo cool

It came out really well! I can't wait to finish it.

I noticed you're a judge. Any comment on the pouch question? Can we use leather/pleather or does it need to be twill as stated?

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update. The 3D printed greeblie and watch compad are finished and being shipped to me. They came out amazing and I can't wait to paint them and add them to the costume.

He accidentally printed the Endor Commando compad as well so we have a spare in case anyone needs it. Mr. Green

Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the standards call for twill but I think based on the reference images from the new costume book the pouches are leather and the standards need to be revised- this is why people are getting through with leather pouches-

Until it is an official revision technically "twill" is technically correct but you could make them from leather and use some of the images from the new costume book to support the decision in your application until the revision occurs. Does that help?

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the standards call for twill but I think based on the reference images from the new costume book the pouches are leather and the standards need to be revised- this is why people are getting through with leather pouches-

Until it is an official revision technically "twill" is technically correct but you could make them from leather and use some of the images from the new costume book to support the decision in your application until the revision occurs. Does that help?
'

That does help! Thanks so much. I agree with you. Based on the new photos they look to be leather .

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a build day at a friend's house this weekend and I was able to get a tremendous amount done on this build.

First, my boots arrived! I ordered the same boots that I use for Sentorial Leia but in black and they are perfect. All I did was remove the bottom strap (it is not attached and slides right off) and removed the top strap with a seam ripper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBUNN0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the boots I used and I love them! Highly recommend and great price.

I worked on the top most of Friday night and am very happy with how it turned out. Tried it on with the pants and the belt and the buckle and it's coming along really well.

I tried the mock vest with the shirt and just wasn't getting quite what I wanted from it so I think I may just need to attempt to draft the pattern on my own and make it that way. It's a bummer since I was hoping it would work but the seams aren't matching up how I thought they would and would need a lot of modifications.

I plan on fixing the pockets on the shirt a tad more but wanted to do a try on with the pieces I had already and it's looking good!

I used a Men's shirt size 3XL as my base. I cut the sleeves and the hem quite a bit and was able to use the extra fabric from that to make the pockets and still have enough fabric left for the cuff needed on the sleeves.

My machine started acting up right as I finished the shirt so I decided to switch to the poncho to give it a break. I found a great fabric on clearance and bought 4 yards of it. I really wasn't sure how much I would need for everything so I figured more would be better than less. Wink

In my researching of the poncho, I stumbled across this pattern for the base of the poncho. I want to say this is off of Vera's build but I'm not positive so I am sorry if I am crediting the wrong person for it.

Using the measurements off of that pattern, we cut the fabric to hit me right in both front and back.

I also tried it on with the belt to make sure it still kept to the correct length, which it did.

Once the poncho was cut, I set about creating the camouflage look. I used several types of paint including fabric and acrylic to get the look I wanted. I used a sponge for a lot of it but also would mix the paint on the fabric by hand when needed.

The hood was the big challenge. First we made a hood big enough to hang correctly in the back. Once that was done, we cut out a rectangle and shaped it similar to an infinity scarf and attached them together. I then hand stitched the hood to the cape and voila!

I will be tackling the vest pattern this week.

Shocked

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further progress was made on this build and I can see the finish line! It's a bit in the distance but getting closer.

Because the Rebel Briefing Room costume and the Endor Commando costume are essentially the same (with the addition of the poncho added to Commando), I focused on getting more of the Endor stuff done last night.

The paint dried beautifully to the fabric for the poncho. Once it was completely dry, I hand stitched the hood to it and made sure it draped correctly. The only thing left to do on the poncho is to cut the holes in the front for the belt to go through and I should be set on that!

Christine sent me a reference image of the back of the Leia doll and the doll has 3 pouches in back. In addition, she has one on her left side.

I visited a local Army surplus store last night and lucked out and found 4 grenade pouches (the perfect size!) to use. They were $4 each so not too expensive. I need to do a bit of touching up on them to get them to sit right etc but they are perfect otherwise!

I tried them on with the belt last night and they worked perfectly.

Please excuse my dirty mirror. I didn't realize it needed cleaning till after I took these shots and uploaded them. Sad

I then tried on the pouches with the belt and poncho and it all came together really well!

My friend was able to work on the Rubie's blaster yesterday as well. We bought the $12 one and measured it.

Then, using reference photos, he cut the pieces OUT of the toy we did not need and pieced together the pieces we do need.

There are these stopper things he wants to buy at Home Depot to add to create the last missing pieces from the blaster and then it should be good to go. My other friend is then going to use the finished blaster to make the leather holster with. Once the holster has been made, I will paint the blaster and it should be good to go.

The vest is the thing that is killing me. My grandmother's machine decided to stop working last night so we took a break from sewing and took a look at patterning the vest. I was able to check out the Endor Commando bunker group on Yahoo and while the general patterns were helpful, it didn't really work with how Leia's vest is.

My grandmother suggested we try a pattern I already owned and we lucked out and found one that would actually work really well!
This is the pattern we ended up using.

We went primarily with View B as it has the pieces needed. We took the View A sleeves and omitted the View B collar/pocket and lining on the bottom. The back yoke even has the same shape needed for the stitching at the back of the vest.

Once all the pattern pieces were cut out, we called it a night but I am feeling much more confident now that I have a pattern that I can use to make this. I'm going to pick up some cheap fabric to make a mock with tonight and will hopefully sew the vest mock up tomorrow. Amadalia

Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirt looks great! I have some concerns about the belt, buckle, poncho and pouches- happy to offer any thoughts or support. Are the versions posted WIP or your final draft?

Last edited by Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt) on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirt looks great! I have some concerns about the belt, buckle, poncho and pouches. Are the versions posted WIP or your final draft?

Belt is 2 inch twill material I purchased at JoAnn's and dyed to olive per the standards. Buckle was removed from the one I purchased on Amazon placed on correct belt material. Does the buckle need altering? I was told by numerous former military members that the buckle
I'm using is correct type based on the reference photos. I can prob alter it if necessary.
Pouches can be modified if necessary. Poncho is final version or as close as I can get to it.

Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thank you so much for posting your build on the forums. I think it's so helpful for other members to see the work you are doing.

#1 - regarding your belt, it looks much narrower than 2 inches, and I'm wondering if the buckle is creating this illusion. The buckle should be closer to 3.5 inches in height. In making mine, I had to create my own out of a sheet of .25 styrene plastic sheeting, and painting it.

#2 - regarding your pouches, all four of yours seem to be secured with a snap and have a very round shape to them. Ideally they should be more boxy/squared and the front pouch should have a thin strap to secure the flap, not a snap. I would also be weary of using toys as references (especially earlier Kenner/Hasbro figures); while some can be more accurate than others, often times the sculpts can be inaccurate or guesses by the artists. It's better to work from resources like screen caps or production photos. For instance, the OT costumes book that came out a couple of years ago has great references for the front pouch. The back pouches are harder to find good photos of.

#3 - regarding the poncho, the sides should hit at about your elbow mark when your arms are down, which makes me think yours might need to be made wider to accommodate this. Ideally, the poncho would also be self-lined so that no hem lines are showing. The hood of your poncho seems very large. I've been trying to find my own pattern to try to offer some help in the correct shape, but we just moved, and it's MIA at the moment. The hood on mine had more of a "Pacman" shape opening that has a oval/donut shape attached to the front opening. Your pattern has the wide seams down the side; however, your poncho doesn't appear to have that strip added, which would be necessary for approval. My only concern with the pattern is that there shouldn't be a shoulder seam on the poncho. Your paint job and colors look great; however in some places, the blotches look a little more like lines or streaks. A lot of people use spray paint colors to create a more even dispersal of the camouflage colors. If you're interested, I can suggest the brand/colors that are most often used for this.

Edit: I forgot that the poncho should have openings in the front to accommodate the belt passing through it. These should hit at your natural body line so that extra poncho fabric is visible on either side and helps narrow the waist when viewed from the front but has the belt invisible when viewed from the back.

I'm super crazy about the watch/communicator 3D print - thanks so much for sharing! Your pants fabric is also dead on. I'm really loving following your build. Please let me know if you have any more comments or questions. I'll keep looking for that hood pattern and will share it if/when I find it. It's gotta be around here somewhere... Smile

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thank you so much for posting your build on the forums. I think it's so helpful for other members to see the work you are doing.

I'm super crazy about the watch/communicator 3D print - thanks so much for sharing! Your pants fabric is also dead on. I'm really loving following your build. Please let me know if you have any more comments or questions. I'll keep looking for that hood pattern and will share it if/when I find it. It's gotta be around here somewhere... Smile

Thank you so much for all the feedback! These little tidbits of information are extremely helpful!

Now that I have an exact measurement to use for the buckle, I can make one and attach it very easily. You are right, the current buckle does tend to make the material of the belt bend in slightly and that's probably what makes it look not as wide as it is. That is something I can probably knock out tonight when I get home so I will look at that and post progress photos when I have something LOL.

The pouches definitely need to be modified. You are correct in the shaping of them. I plan on taking them in and adjusting the straps etc. so that they look more like they should. It's super easy to modify them and I can probably do that in the next day or so as well. Good to know about the toy figures. I know they are secondary references but it was nice to get at least an idea of what it should look like. For now, I will go on The thought that she has one in the front and two in the back.

I agree with you on the poncho. Luckily I purchased more than enough fabric and can easily add that extra strip down the sides that you were referring to. I think once I do that, it will most definitely reach my elbows. It did when I measured it and cut it initially but I think I didn't accurately add in seam allowance and that took away from it. When I paint the fabric for the additional length, I will also touch up the color where it looks like it might be lines instead of splotches etc.

I do not have a shoulder seam on the poncho. I cut it straight from the fabric and just seamed the ends and the areas around the neckline. Maybe the lighting in the photo looks like it does? Here is what it looked like before I stitched anything or painted it.

The photo that I posted of me wearing the belt is actually the poncho with the hood not sewn to it yet. I did that today and have yet to take pictures of it but that took in the size of the hood significantly. If worse comes to worst, I can always re-cut it and sew a new one on.
Thank you again for all your feedback on my build! I really appreciate it. It helps tremendously.

My Friend shipped me the 3-D printed stuff today. I should get it very shortly and will post better detailed photos of the print itself and the paint job when it arrives.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More work done over the last day. I wish I had more done but when your sewing machine is broken, costume progress stalls. Rolling Eyes

I took Joy's advice on the poncho and took the hood in quite a bit and also gave it a more thorough dye job. Two years ago, I ran the SW 10K as Endor Leia and had made a cheap cotton version of the poncho to run the race in. When I made it, I purchased the spray paint others had used for their ponchos. Luckily, I still had the paint and ended up using it on mine. For reference, the colors I used were a hunter green fabric spray paint, Krylon spray paint in "Nutmeg" and Krylon spray paint in a light green color (don't remember the name off the top of my head). I was able to use the spray paint to mask the look of the lines that Joy referred to and it actually came out really nice! The paint dried overnight and this is what it looked like this morning after a second touch up to the poncho was added.

I also added the additional sleeve length needed to the poncho. This was actually easy considering it just needed to be added to the ends and not completely remade. Once the paint dries, I will do a try on of the entire outfit complete with belt and new buckle.

I took the measurement given of 3.5 inches and made a mock pattern of the belt buckle out of craft foam. Once that was done, I cut the pattern out of some leftover Worbla and painted it. That is also drying now while I am at work but once it dries, I will attach it to the existing buckle and that should be good to go.

The 3D prints arrived last night and they look great!

I sanded the compad print and spray painted it this morning. Once it's dry, I will attach it to the wristband I purchased and that should be done as well.

I just gave the initial coat of paint to the greeblie. Once the color is where I want it, I will add a pin backing to it and that should be set as well.

I'm hoping to tackle the vest tomorrow after work and at least get the mock up done by this weekend. Fingers crossed all goes as planned.
Queen

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3D printed items remember that to get the best looking result: sand, prime, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint. Smile This helps remove the printing lines and gives you a beautiful result.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a fair amount done since my last post. I wish things were moving more quickly but in all fairness, this costume has a lot of little components that I didn't realize when beginning this build.

As of today, my boots, pants, top, compad and poncho are done. I am picking up my modified Rubie's blaster today from my friend and giving it to another friend to make the holster with it.

The belt buckle work has stalled but I'm hoping to finish it tonight. The 3D printed greeblie needs a bit more painting before I am happy with it but it's definitely going in the right direction.

Here is my finished compad and I really like how it came out. Very Happy

This vest is what is killing me. The detail work on the stitching is so specific!

I attempted a mock build on Friday night and was happy with some parts of it but not with others. I used padding for the back portion and the front right portion and I think it definitely has the look I need but may be a tad "too" padded.

I'm going to modify the pattern further tonight and make another mock in the next few days.

If anyone has an actual pattern that I can follow verbatim, please let me know. Being a beginning seamstress, this is not my strong suit at all. Sad

I did, however, find a great fabric at JoAnn's for the vest. It wasn't on sale when I went so I was able to use a 50% off coupon for it.

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-bottomweights-solid-classic-twill/xprd810633.html

I dyed it to the proper gray color with RIT dye and it is ready for when I am ready to make my final version of the vest. I bought 2 yards and I think that that should be more than enough fabric. Fingers crossed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: