Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fd6fb0c663d172aaacfb800a8426e7e7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Princess/General Leia -- The Last Jedi - Which Group?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Princess/General Leia -- The Last Jedi - Which Group? Reply with quote

So -- I'm starting work on my pre-premiere Leia costume from The Last Jedi. Question though -- is she going to remain in the Rebel Commanders, or move back to Royalty? She's been referred to as both General and Princess in publicity for the movie, and the Funko POP that was released on Force Friday names her as "Princess Leia". (I know the TFA Funkos had one as Princess, one as General). Her two (seen so far) costumes for TLJ are definitely more on the "royalty" side of things, but if she's General now, that's fine with me too.

Mostly asking so I know where to post my WIP thread/progress, and where to propose standards when it gets to that time. Thanks! (Posted this in the Rebel Commanders forum too)
“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered the same thing, Heather, ever since the TFA General was moved into the RC forums. The two new costumes do look like 'royalty' wear.

Sort of on this topic: I certainly do not wish anything else to be moved from here (R/S), and not to cause any weirdness, but wasn't Leia also some sort of commander in both ESB and ROTJ? She was sporting a rank badge, and was giving orders to the troops, much like in TFA. This is why I feel the General should have stayed here, with the other Leias.

Just my thoughts. Smile
ROTJ Leia (complete)
TFA General Leia (complete)
Senatorial Leia (in progress)
Ceremonial Leia (in progress)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
AOTC Corde' (in progress)
Mara Jade (501st Approved)
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:

Sort of on this topic: I certainly do not wish anything else to be moved from here (R/S), and not to cause any weirdness, but wasn't Leia also some sort of commander in both ESB and ROTJ? She was sporting a rank badge, and was giving orders to the troops, much like in TFA. This is why I feel the General should have stayed here, with the other Leias.

Just my thoughts. Smile

I've thought about that too Lavonne -- and wasn't she called General in ROTJ? (Or assumed to be, or perhaps some other rank?). Also -- her blue dress from TFA is here, right? Honestly, I'm OK with either way -- but these costumes definitely seem to be ones that could benefit from advice and tips from those used to sewing much fancier/exotic items than some of the military stuff Smile

I'm excited because I think I've cracked the code on how to create her robe/coat (the grey one) for TLJ. I've been off social media a while now, dealing with some personal/medical issues, but I'm ready to get back in and start working!
“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:
LaV317 wrote:

Just my thoughts. Smile

I've thought about that too Lavonne -- and wasn't she called General in ROTJ? (Or assumed to be, or perhaps some other rank?). Also -- her blue dress from TFA is here, right? Honestly, I'm OK with either way -- but these costumes definitely seem to be ones that could benefit from advice and tips from those used to sewing much fancier/exotic items than some of the military stuff Smile

I'm excited because I think I've cracked the code on how to create her robe/coat (the grey one) for TLJ. I've been off social media a while now, dealing with some personal/medical issues, but I'm ready to get back in and start working!

She was definitely in charge on Hoth, clearly giving orders/directions to the troopers.

Awesome on the grey dress/coat. I'm still searching for fabrics for this blasted thing. I sent off for swatches from a couple of places, but don't think they will work. Not to mention, the price tag on two of them. Yikes!

Anyway, I hope you are doing better, and happy to see you back on the boards!
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the fabric will be tricky. Still trying to decide if it's patterned, a specific weave, or both. From the reference photos I have, it might be a tiny houndstooth pattern (or that in the right color could mimic the look). Regardless, I found a faux heavy silk-like fabric at our local discount warehouse for $3.99 a yard that I *think* will look close enough for a non-approvable costume. I think the real coat is a wool or similar.

I think the dress is honestly just grey jet set poly - it seems matte finish, flowy and very simple. Joann's has the right color they carry -- I'll probably have to order it, as my store didn't have much of it (and wait for a sale, since it was $15.99/yd!)

I've resigned myself to the fact I won't be able to make it fully accurate, but I want to fake it enough to wear to some events here in late November/early December, and the preview. Now all I really need is a decent look at the back of her hair, and I'll have that figured out too I think.

Good luck on your search, and once I have the chance, I'll start writing up what I've figured out, and when I get a mock-up done I'll post that too...wherever it ends up being Smile
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:
Yes, the fabric will be tricky. Still trying to decide if it's patterned, a specific weave, or both. From the reference photos I have, it might be a tiny houndstooth pattern (or that in the right color could mimic the look). Regardless, I found a faux heavy silk-like fabric at our local discount warehouse for $3.99 a yard that I *think* will look close enough for a non-approvable costume. I think the real coat is a wool or similar.

I think the dress is honestly just grey jet set poly - it seems matte finish, flowy and very simple. Joann's has the right color they carry -- I'll probably have to order it, as my store didn't have much of it (and wait for a sale, since it was $15.99/yd!)

I've resigned myself to the fact I won't be able to make it fully accurate, but I want to fake it enough to wear to some events here in late November/early December, and the preview. Now all I really need is a decent look at the back of her hair, and I'll have that figured out too I think.

Good luck on your search, and once I have the chance, I'll start writing up what I've figured out, and when I get a mock-up done I'll post that too...wherever it ends up being Smile

Sounds good. And if I find some stuff, I will post up, as well.

My first priority is to fix all of my build threads that had photos deleted from the Photobucket mess. Grrrr.....
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we think that the fancy gowns will be R&S, but nothing is set in stone yet. Constructionwise they certainly seem to have more to do with the costumes generally found here, than a military commander's costume.

There is no doubt, nor was there ever, that Leia is both a princess and a rebel leader.

So far it's a bit of a wait and see game. You are welcome to start wip threads if you like. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lora. To me, at least for the time being, her new dress/cape has more in common with the costumes we make in this delegation than in Rebel Commanders. If it winds up going the other way, we can always move build threads.

Also, I'm moving this thread to the Leia form so more people can find it. Stuff often gets lost in the general royalty form.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: