Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e2aeee551e5b7c7a1adbcf8488b2d106Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Corran Horn - X Wing Pilot WIP --UK Builder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milimar Nilstro (Chris smith)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks sorry to appear Pushy but by a massive stroke of luck
a company has offered to make me a green flight suit and though I like to make all my own bits on this one I will not argue.

However this means I can start my flak vest sooner than I thought.

So may I ask the previous post of the fabric I have am I ok to proceed please ???
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks / clearance team, with reference to my posts back on 19th and 22nd September 2017 as I have had no positive or negative feedback on the fabrics I have put forward

Flack Vest.....

And My Flight Suit (which is being custom made - in the UK by a well know company :-))

I am proceeding with these fabrics.

I hope at clearance I will not have the issue I had with the Jedi version of Corran Horn and it be rejected on fabric (It had been OKed by Elstree were my WIP was running - but US would not uphold there ok on the fabrics hence this one on here), that was a major upset after I got OK to continue commented on the WIP. Sadly that costume has never been cleared.

While I fully appreciate all are busy and colour is difficult on cameras as well as I am not a pro photographer.

But here we go.....

Keep safe all and MTFBWY :-)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks I don't know what t do d o ihave spent the weekend just sitting when I should have been making a start on my Flak vest.

I sad problem is simple fabric, no one will say yes or no. I understand that but is this not why we run a WIP ?

I got told after my Elstree WIP I should run any new one on the US site ad they are the only ones to approve fabrics etc......

Well Elstree di approve my fabric and US refused to updold ther approval.

So I run this on the US site and I get no approval on three fabric submissions for my flak vest.

Does this mean all are ok or non are, So I choose wait till submission then hope.

I appears recently making a costume means a shopping list of brought parts, finer is you can,

but I am an odd size and like to make my own parts. As the costume standards say the Flak Jacket is not one fits all.

So I need to make one that ok with me but..... whatt fabric.

The last is off white nylon I think the best option but......

Please I already have one costume wasted and £100.s of pounds too because of "wrong fabric", after the case. Ok mt fault I did not know not to run a WIP on Elstree, but I suffer for that, Please don't let me suffer again at least they gave fabric feedback.

Yes I am upset as because someone had the decency to approve my fabrics and colour but one guy in the US didn't I cant troop it. I don't want o go there again please folks have a heart, help a cosplayer who needs to make his parts.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Guys.....

I just had to post this I have found "Ballistic Nylon" well I found out that ballistic nylon is in fact its the weave type.

so I looked deeper and found this....

1. Semi Translucent White Nylon. (yes)

2. Ballistic Nylon (Yes)

3. Available in UK Oh YES :-)

What do we think is this it ?????

Can I go ahead please.

:Xwing: :Xwing:
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not been on for a while but....

Little Update, I have some new Jack Boots had to have these baby's custom made is I
have very large feet. Very happy with them all leather to. Yes bit shiny I agree
but that will dull off and scuff over time.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks well a busy weekend......

I have started on my belt upgrades much happier with this one (thank you all for your guidance),

I have replaced my Harness as well.

As you will be aware if you have been following my WIP I planing to make my own Flak Vest as the Costume Standards state its not a one fits all fix.....

With this in mind I have made a sample one out of a bit of fabric to see if I have the size etc. right.....

Please comment as I need the feedback before I put scissors to Ballistic Nylon, it wasn't easy to find it.

Many thanks :-)
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's looking pretty good so far. As for the flak vest pattern, you've got it pretty close. I think you could actually lengthen the shoulder straps a bit as the back of the vest is sitting up too high, and the front of the vest is sitting up slightly high, too. The side straps are up a bit high on the front panel but that's an easy fix. The front panel also looks a little long down to the bottom edge. The back is a little bit long, too.

Have you looked at this guide?
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19556

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
The front panel also looks a little long down to the bottom edge. The back is a little bit long, too.

Have you looked at this guide?
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19556

Hi Blue Banshee Leader, many thanks for the feed back much appreciated the link you have posted is what I have based my pattern on just adjusted for my size etc....

May I ask are you saying panel sizes front and back are ok I just need to lengthen the arm cut-outs therefore shortening the side drop or that the panels are simply do long / deep ?
or to wide eg go to are round my sides ?
sorry to ask so much but I must get this correct.

Shoulder straps is easy, though the front panel sits on my collar and the back is 2" lower then my collar ???

I agree the side straps need to be lower by approx. a good 1" to 1 1/4"
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was that the vests are long from the bottom of the arm curve to the bottom edge of the vest. The back of your vest, for example, where you have the side strap currently... Where the strap is looks to me like about where the vest should end (and the strap would then be an inch or so higher). The front panel of the vest would be around the side size as the back.

The vest needs to be sized to you, definitely, but that's usually just regarding the width of the vest panels (from one side to the other) and the length of the shoulder straps, not usually the length of the vest panels. Smile

The top edge of the front of your vest should sit about two or three inches below your collar. The back top edge would be around two inches below as well.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee I have based this on the costume standard stated on Corran Horn costume standrads it contradicts what you are saying as it stated....

"The top of the front and back panels should begin at the base of the collar in front and approximately two inches below the collar in back."

Plus
"The bottom of the front and back panels are even and should completely cover the chest while not extending toward the waist any further than one-half to two-thirds the distance from the arm pit to the waist, and should allow for approximately 3″

Not as you state
"The top edge of the front of your vest should sit about two or three inches below your collar

Following the costume standards makes my front and rear panels deeper to fit in with the spaces specified.
Can you please confirm if in need to follow the sizes in the link you posted but simply wider to fit me. Or follow the spacings etc stated in the Costume Standards as there is a massive difference as you can see. from the two sets of photos posted.

As now I am totally confused as what to do sorry.

Mean while comments taken on board re flak vest below are the Take 2 photos comments please :-)

Many thanks.... :grin: :grin:
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guys please if some one can give me some guidance as to what to follow Costume Standards or comments hear I fully agree with both but the Clearance Officers will have the final say.

The Costume Standards state Flak Vests are NOT a one fits all so were do I go I have posted a second set of photos with slight tweeks.

I feel its ok but the back could be wider that I mean go further round the side by about 1".

HELP Please folks I don't want to waste my time clearances time or very expensive fabric.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning folks hope yu oall had a great weekend well here we go I have made some progress on my Flak Vest prototype as per comments received ..... all feedback very much welcome PLEASE.

Also after finally getting a paint match to my flight suit work has continued on the helmet.....
Black 3mm lines to green sections to be added and I hope to print off my water slide decals later today.

I eagerly await comments / feedback bless you all.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot to report I managed to do a bit more my helmet while waiting feedback on the sample Flak Vest.
Every little bit gets one step closer to going for clearance :-)

The lines will look much better once weathering is done ..........
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Bunny today added decals to one side of helmet last night.
These are home made water slide decals so that I could try to match the green (yes I know I am sad).

But I have to say I am very happy......

Thoughts please.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will keep posting hoping to get some feedback before making my Flak Vest It would appear to me since my post of the 17th questioning the placement of the Flak vest versus the Costume Standards comments I have had no further comments. I was not being awkward its just the two contradicted each other I need the HELP.

Well in any case here are the next set of flak vest shots
this time the front has been turned up to allow the chest box to sit lower.

Yes I think it does look better....

oh I added my holster rig I ran up as well to see how it all starts to come together......
Happy with the rig not made this type before and the metalwork was a challenge.

Comments as always please folks.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: