Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a2c19c93e111cd550d2e2dd69cb1a6e0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Princess Leia comic jumpsuit and cloak outfit - help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RacheLeia ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Princess Leia comic jumpsuit and cloak outfit - help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm working on my first costume that I'm hoping to get approved and I could use some help! This is only the third costume I've made and I'm a relative newbie at sewing, so I'm a little intimidated, but also very excited about it and looking forward to the challenge! (My first two costumes, which I made last year — Hoth/Bespin Escape Leia for myself and ANH Han Solo for my husband — would likely never be approved without significant revamping.)

This is the costume I'm making:

Thanks to another post I've seen on here about comic book Leia, I decided to get the McCall's M7217 pattern for the white jumpsuit and modify it as needed: [url] https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7217[/url]

I also found this pattern (McCall's M7202) which looked like my best bet for the cowled, hooded cloak (as long as I lengthen it considerably): https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7202. Does this look like a good choice to you all?

I've been researching some of the accessories, and I have to admit I'm stumped when it comes to the gold filigree bun covers and the cylinders to go around the braids at the end. I've searched Etsy, Amazon, and Google at length and nothing seemed to work very well. The only thing that seemed remotely like the bun covers are these crocheted ones meant for Padme's meadow dress: https://www.etsy.com/listing/250948595/pair-of-golden-bun-covers-costume?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=gold%20bun%20cover&ref=sr_gallery_13 but I'm guessing those won't be approvable?

Does anyone know where I might find the appropriate hair accessories, or, as seems more likely, how to go about making them?

I was also looking for gloves, and I saw these on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/529053062/swordsman-medieval-leather-gauntlet?ref=similar_items-1 I'm not sure if they bell out enough, but maybe I could modify them somehow? Leia's gloves have a cut down the undersides, so I'm wondering if maybe if I make a similar cut if I can make them bell out how they're supposed to. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
RacheLeia ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another picture that shows the bun covers a little better:

I couldn't find any other good pictures I could post here but here's a link to two of the RL reference galleries for this costume, which include some even better pictures of the bun covers:

http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=leia-organa-marvel-comics-white-jumpsuit

http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=leia-organa-marvel-comics-cloak-jumpsuit
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to see how this will turn out. Smile
This costume seems in the comics it could be very stylish!

Regarding the buns and the cylinder, I could probably help in a little bit of time by 3d modeling them, if you think it should be hard and not soft.
The cylinder would not be problematic, in facts, it seems to be same style than slave leia's one.

For the buns well, would be far more tricky but could probably be doable.
Do you think it's kind of half sphere with dents in it painted black (a bit like the orb of infinity from guardians of the galaxy), or do you think it's not dents but lot of holes ?
RacheLeia ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ritin Kornas, thank you so much for your help! That's a great idea about 3D modeling the hairpieces — I'll consider it! I believe my husband has access to a 3D printer so we may be able to do it ourselves. I also got some suggestions on the Bun Squad and Ladies of the Legions Facebook groups about using craft foam, Sintra/Worbla or even hot glue, then painting it to look metallic.

Quote:
Do you think it's kind of half sphere with dents in it painted black (a bit like the orb of infinity from guardians of the galaxy), or do you think it's not dents but lot of holes ?

The bun covers are supposed to be filigree so it's an intricate design with a lot of holes/cut-out bits so you can see the hair beneath.
RacheLeia ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got a pair of hair extensions (Kanekalon silky smooth) in the mail, and I had a lot of fun playing around with them to try and nail down the hairstyle! Here's my first trial run (featuring my just-out-of-the-box blaster). I have a few kinks to work out, but overall I think it went pretty well:

Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ! Can't see it's any extension like that Smile
so she has 2 different hairstyles right ?

RacheLeia wrote:
@Ritin Kornas, thank you so much for your help! That's a great idea about 3D modeling the hairpieces — I'll consider it! I believe my husband has access to a 3D printer so we may be able to do it ourselves. I also got some suggestions on the Bun Squad and Ladies of the Legions Facebook groups about using craft foam, Sintra/Worbla or even hot glue, then painting it to look metallic.

Well, those can be good solutions too. And if you have access to a printer and don't need to go through the prohibitive cost of professional printer, in the end there is no big difference of price between each of those technics. I would not recommend the craft foam however if you want to keep your piece a long time, also given the shape of the buns covers, seems overly complicated for me to do it with foam as you can't apply it on a master shape like worbla for example.

In the end it will depend what you prefer I think. Here is my thinking on the different things, if it can help, to have work with all of them Razz

Hot Glue : Will be super easy to just draw lines on a master shape (a bun, be sure your master shape in priming so you can pill off easily the glue). This will make the process of getting the holes naturally during the build. So it will probably be the fastest and cheapest of all three. However it will be hard to post process the piece (forgot sanding on hot glue for example) and if you want sharp line it will be hard. One possibility to counter act that would be to remove it from the master shape (probably need to make so cut and re-glue that together, like for worbla, see after), and then return it like socks.
It then end you will have something flexy. And the paint on it should stick ok if you go for acrylic, but not super durable.

Worbla : I think the easiest would be to form it (double thickness worbla) on a master shape, then cut lines to pull it off and join it back together. And then either use knife blade to cut the shape, or for something more organic, maybe use a hot tool, like a welding iron to punch holes in it Wink See punching methods can also be used for 3D printed part). Surface is not really great if you want flat metal look, but it will be directly perfect for an antique metal one.
If you put 2 layers of worbla to double the thickness or even 3, should be more sturdy than glue but still a bit flexy.

3D print : Assuming you print with PLA/PETG or ABS and not a flexy filament, you will need a bit of sanding and post production, but this one will be really sturdy compared to the other two methods. Also, it will be the easiest one (from far) to get a smooth surface if you want to get flat shiny metal look and if you want to polish the paint too. Paint should last long. You can also achieve antique paint look I think if you sand it with a rough grit (50 or so) in a circular pattern to avoid lines. As I said it can also be done as just a bun for a very easy model, and then punch holes in it with hot tool for an organic and unique feel. Just take care of fumes if you do so, whatever plastic it is, and wear a mask for solvant (not the poodoo ones against dust).

That's my analysis of the three methods ^^ hope it can help you make your choice.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with this project. Smile It's nice to see people taking on some of the newer costumes.

We have another who have made a progress thread about this costume, have you looked at that? If not I suggest you do as it might give you some useful tips.

I'm not sure about the cloak pattern you have found; it closes in front whereas Leia's is open in front. Hood might also be on the small side, but I'm not sure about that.

I think you could get a wonderful result with 3D printing the bun covers, but worbla should work well, too.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
RacheLeia ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas — thank you SO much for your detailed analysis of the methods! And yes, she has 2 different hairstyles, one of which the bun covers are optional for (the one I posted pictures of earlier). I'd like to be able to do them both!

Lora Skywalker — thank you so much for your input! I will have to find that other thread! The cloak pattern may end up being the bane of my existence. I've spent hours poring over cloak patterns at Joann, but I really couldn't find anything better as this was the only one I could find that combined a cowl and a hood. I was planning on heavily modifying it so it doesn't fasten at the front and so that it's much longer. I could also make the hood bigger if I need to. If anyone has any better suggestions for patterns, though, let me know!

I am at least 75% done with my jumpsuit! All that's left to do there is hem the sleeves and sew on the zipper placket and various patches. Here are some pictures I took tonight. Apologies for the room in progress in the background of the last two. Also the waistband looks really awkward where it's attached near the zipper but that should be covered by the placket.

As you can see, I modified the original jumpsuit pattern to add the curved yolks in the front and back. I also got rid of the seams that separate the torso from the legs in the front, and added a seam down the front of each leg that was continuous with the princess seams.

I've been trying to decide what fabric to use for the cloak. The standards require it to be white, off-white or cream-colored and a matte, medium-weight fabric. I'm personally imagining something that has a nice woven texture to it, not too dissimilar from the cloak Padme wears with her jumpsuit in AOTC (which I honestly wonder if the Leia costume was inspired by). I've checked Joann and Hobby Lobby and didn't find anything I was 100% happy with, but here are a few options I found at Joann:

This is an ivory cotton monkscloth. I liked the two-way woven look of this one the best, but it didn't seem like the best texture — it was a little scratchy and stiff and would probably have an issue with wrinkling (though not as bad as a twill).

This is a nice rib knit that I really liked the feel of, but I'm not sure how it would look in a cloak with such an obvious one-way grain?

I'm pretty sure this one isn't approvable but I'm posting it anyway for reference. It's an acrylic sweater knit, and I like the idea of so much texture. It's a little too shiny on one side, but I was thinking if I did use it or something like it I could use the non-shiny, smoother side as the outside. It's a bit too dark of a cream for my tastes though.

I guess if all else fails, there's always flannel, shown here in white or cream. I'd prefer something with a little more of a woven texture though.

Any suggestions?
RacheLeia ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I've been looking for boots and despairing until I saw General Princess' post about this costume where she said she found these boots at Target: https://www.target.com/p/women-s-bridgitte-tall-riding-boots-merona-153/-/A-52511736#lnk=newtab&preselect=52474096

Are these still approvable? I know they have a little strap in the back near the top and the standards say the boots need to have no decorations, but do you think I'd be able to take that off/modify it in a way so it would be approvable? I guess the other question is that the spats according to the standards are supposed to have no visible closures, and these have a zipper on the inside part of the leg.

I'd really love some feedback on this. These are the best ones I've found so far, but I'm not sure whether they can be approved or not. If not, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? Thanks.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you have done with your jumpsuit so far. Smile Looks well fitted.

Honestly not sure about the boots. Hmm.

For the cloak, maybe garbadine? I've had a woolen garbadine in my hands before and liked the feel and weight of it.
Of course, the tricky part with the comics is that they tend not to show any texture to the fabrics; the fabric are almost always very smooth and plain. So I wouldn't go for anything with too much texture.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
RacheLeia ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I apologize, I really slacked off with my updates! I got a version of my costume ready in time for a con at the end of October, but I still have more things to do before I send it in for approval. Here's a couple pictures from the con — I'd love feedback:

I kind of doubt that the vest will be approvable. I made it out of a thrift store jacket. What do you all think? Either way, I'll be making the cloak according to standards, and the cloak version of the costume is what I'll try and have approved.

The gloves ended up being too dark, so I'm planning on dying them a lighter brownish tan with Tarrago leather dye (as it claims to be able to dye leather lighter).

That holster was the most challenging part of the entire thing, as this is the first time I've worked with real leather and in the end I had about four days to get it done before the con. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though I'm planning on tightening it as it's hanging too low on my hips (and making a few other adjustments, too). It was difficult to figure out the proportions of the holster part, as the blaster is larger and would come down farther below her knee than it looks in the comics. It's like when she puts it in the holster, the end of it is magically sawed off, lol! I tried to compromise between the art and reality as best as I could.

The boots were a surprise find at a thrift store! Genuine leather, with no ornamentation. Eventually I might try to figure out a way to do the spats, but seeing as those are optional I'm not going to worry about it right now.

Lora Skywalker wrote:
For the cloak, maybe garbadine? I've had a woolen garbadine in my hands before and liked the feel and weight of it.
Of course, the tricky part with the comics is that they tend not to show any texture to the fabrics; the fabric are almost always very smooth and plain. So I wouldn't go for anything with too much texture.

Ooh thank you, this was exactly the advice/suggestion I needed! I ordered some samples of some white and ivory polyester gabardine from OnlineFabricStore.net, and after seeing how they both looked with the jumpsuit I ended up ordering the white. Unfortunately I got an email a few days later saying my order's been delayed due to it being temporarily out of stock. It's been a few weeks since then and I'm starting to get a little worried. Hopefully it will come in soon — I'm ready to get back on this!
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look really great !
The problem of blaster's end magically disappearing is something that seems to happen really often Laughing Or you have some other stupid things like that when it's not a live props (example : hera head set, supposed to rotate so the goggles come to her eyes I guess... but how it is constructed, then it would fell of her head so she can't use them...)

Regarding the vest, I must say it still looks great, but I don't think it will be approved by the judges as it lacks the yoke, and it should not have the pockets :s

Please keep us updated with further developments ! Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help. Smile

I think you have already mentioned the things that needs to be done; tightening the belt, lighten the gloves, new vest/cloak, upgrade boots at some point. Jumpsuit looks well done, so unless you have missed something completely I think you are good there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: