Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a0ad1d4dfd8ce2240c2935ccfd197a6eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rose Tico
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamwintermute ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Rose Tico Reply with quote

I know TLJ is not out yet and we've see sooooooooo little of the footage (I was at D23, aside from that and the toy/merch releases, there hasn't been much more at all...) (and we're not even sure where her loyalties lie) but I want to get this ball rolling because I'm super hyped for the first female Asian main character (FINALLY!) in the SW universe.

I think I've collected every scrap of reference images I could find from the interwebs, I'll post them if anyone's interested. I'm still in the sketch stage until after NYCC when I'll have time to work on it, but here's what I have planned:

- Camel color jump suit (not unlike the background color of this forum lol), most likely a medium weight cotton drill/twill, fitted with wide legs and modified with hood attached. The top of the jump suit has a similar style to the kind of jacket that Cassian wears. Front right chest has Aurebash lettering. The front left chest has a card device, as well as the left leg pocket. there are... idk what they are... attached to her right sleeve with what looks like webbing. The pant legs may have velcro straps that closes around the ankles to help them stay in place inside the boots.

- Shoes are short boots that looks like a cross between Finn's boots and Rey's boots. They have similar body as Finn's boots, but ankle/low calf length, but the back seems to have leather ties like Rey's, but they could also be just shadows of the seams. I've posed the question to Po Zu but they gave a vague response that is possibly a yes to the hybrid? but they have no plans to make a Rose boot. I guess this will be completely DIY with lots of Barge Shocked

- She has a PLCE belt with the old style metal buckle worn inside out, with modifications to put other parts she carries around with her, and holster for her hand tool.

- Since we have no reference, idk what she wears under the jump suit. I'm assuming it's similar style tunics to what most rebels wear, or a tank top. She does have a scarf? thing around her neck in a warm dark brown, possibly a necklace on a leather string.

- Hair is short, probably shoulder length, more or less straight, with quite a bit of bangs cut evenly at eyebrow height. There are some longer fringes on the side of her face, flipped out/forward, and she has the rest of her hair in a short pony tail in the back. I need my hair long for other cosplays so I'll probably end up using a wig :\ (sucks... I wish I can use my natural hair)

Anyway. Let me know what you think. I'm hoping to get something together before the movie comes out so I can wear it to opening night.
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also super excited a to have a female Asian main character! I just finished version one of my Rose costume. I've got a lot of updates I want to make but I was rushing to get it wearable for an event this past weekend.

I'm working on writing up my take on the costume and my WIP. Also organizing pictures and my materials list. I'm planning to post a WIP thread hopefully later today or at least some time this week.

If you want to talk about the costume at all let me know Very Happy I'm really excited about this one!

Here is what I have so far: https://i.imgur.com/oWEmTS3.jpg
iamwintermute ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG you look amazing! I've been fabric sourcing and since I'm going for screen accuracy I'm fairly sure I have to dye my own fabric... :S

Please do! I'm going to post my WIP but I'd love to compare notes!
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figuring out the color of the fabric has been the worst! I used color remover on olive green but it ended up as yellow as the other fabric I had looked at haha. I'm planning to try less time in the color remover and also weathering before I give up on this fabric.
iamwintermute ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start with a tan/beige/light brown and add yellow, and add layers of color with weathering.

Also looking into 3D modeling the hand device. She uses a resistance blaster so I may look into modding a nerf gun.

What are your thoughts on the boots? I'm having a hard time looking for something to mod with...
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on modeling the hand tool too! I started a test print yesterday but I want to split the files a little differently. I made a model for the com pad in the thigh pocket and my girlfriend made a file for the things on her belt and shoulder. The blaster I paid for the one file that I could find, it's huge but awesome.

I got boots on ebay that I think will work. Teva Capistrano, they are discontinued so ebay seems to be the only place I've found them. I bought 2 pairs because I wasn't sure on size. I usually wear around an 8 and there was a 7.5 and 8.5. I like the 8.5 a bit better, its a bit long but the rest fits well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TEVA-CAPISTRANO-BROWN-LEATHER-TALL-BOOTS-WOMENS-6-RIDING-BOOTS-WATERPROOF/331703332790?hash=item4d3b0f2fb6:g:4TUAAOSwPhdU3ipw
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at fabric again and I think I found one that is pretty close!
https://i.imgur.com/MhmCg76.png
https://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-duck-canvas-fabric/prd23683.html
Its the same kind I used before but a different color.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool costume so far!

Can't wait to see both of your progress in the making Smile please post WIPs! Very Happy
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to start a post in the fringe detachment as we are still not sure which detachment Rose will fall under for judging. Plus it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
iamwintermute ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horsegir48 wrote:
I was just looking at fabric again and I think I found one that is pretty close!
https://i.imgur.com/MhmCg76.png
https://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-duck-canvas-fabric/prd23683.html
Its the same kind I used before but a different color.

Hey! that is super close! And a heavier weight fabric too... I might have to hit up a Joann in the States to take a look...
iamwintermute ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stardancer1914 wrote:
You may also want to start a post in the fringe detachment as we are still not sure which detachment Rose will fall under for judging. Plus it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes.

Good idea! And if anyone has any links to add, post it and I'll add it to the OP.
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! that is super close! And a heavier weight fabric too... I might have to hit up a Joann in the States to take a look...[/quote]

I bought some last night, I'm sure it will still need weathering but I think it will work. I'm thinking I'll use my version one to test weathering techniques.
iamwintermute ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been looking over the pictures and I think I've got a good idea for the undershirt. It looks like it's got a collar that meets in the middle with rounded corners, probably weathered beige. This may mean she's also wearing a pair of pants underneath since the coverall is meant to be worn over clothing.

(my eyes are also about to pop out from concentrating too hard lol)
Shara Kender ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this because I wanted to make this the moment I saw it.

Other than the one picture of Rose that everyone has, are there any other reference photos out thee?
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shara Kender wrote:
Following this because I wanted to make this the moment I saw it.

Other than the one picture of Rose that everyone has, are there any other reference photos out thee?

These are my reference pictures so far: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SuodQ42N6uV1JhcV81TnM1WjA

Making a model of the necklace is probably my next piece. I'm planning to remake my jumpsuit but I'm waiting to get the elite figure in case there are more details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: