Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9369504dd8620a648ab36c6d442b09deMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hobo Luke (TLJ) THXBOYs WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thxboy (Chris Greene)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Hobo Luke (TLJ) THXBOYs WIP Reply with quote

Finished the first pass at my Hobo (TLJ) Luke and thought maybe post here to discuss. A lot of help from some great folks

Last edited by Thxboy (Chris Greene) on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can see is that you need to really darken your boot wraps and darken your trousers a little. Otherwise, it looks good. Are you going to make a shillelagh to go with it?

Also, if I might make a suggestion, you need to wax your rain slicker. I'd suggest something like otter wax. Just rub it over the slicker and then use a hair drier to melt it in. It'll give the slicker a waterproof look. (By rain slicker, I mean the cape thing.)

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!

Poncho was waxed but lighting plays tricks. Take a look at the closeup photo that shows he buckle details. It’s quite shiny.

I agree on coloring. I’ve got new boots coming from Gio and once no have those in hand I’m going to get the coloring of the pants and wraps all lined up.

I guess you didn’t scroll down through my pics because I’ve already made the shillelagh. I have to wrap the handle in leather still but it’s done. Credit goes to Woodchuck for a job well done.
Thxboy (Chris Greene)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucrazy719 ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This costume looks great. Did you have someone make it for you or did you make it yourself? Is the inner tunic a knit wool material? Is the middle piece leather? If so what kind?
Thxboy (Chris Greene)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucrazy719 wrote:
This costume looks great. Did you have someone make it for you or did you make it yourself? Is the inner tunic a knit wool material? Is the middle piece leather? If so what kind?

Inner tunic is similar to a knit wool, it not quite. It was a found blanket from target that just had the right texture.

By “middle piece”if you mean the rain slicker that’s a faux leather fabric found at Joanns. All heavily modified.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thxboy wrote:
lucrazy719 wrote:

Inner tunic is similar to a knit wool, it not quite. It was a found blanket from target that just had the right texture.

By “middle piece”if you mean the rain slicker that’s a faux leather fabric found at Joanns. All heavily modified.

I'm looking for an actual knit fabric from Joann's, but good call on the faux leather. My wife actually has a jacket pattern for that style of jacket (the leather bit), so I'm set there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the cape made? What kind of material? Where did you find it? And what color is it??
LotlBotl (Christopher)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

As i am planning a try on that costume, too, i have a question about the belt. To me it looks like a modified Nazi Germany army belt, without buckle, but the strapend hammered around and reduced in width to make it work as a fastener. My problem is, those belts were all 45mm wide, when i tried to calculate the width from the pictures it seems more like 55mm.
What did you use?
Thxboy (Chris Greene)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I got approved!
Thxboy (Chris Greene)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LotlBotl wrote:
Nice work!

As i am planning a try on that costume, too, i have a question about the belt. To me it looks like a modified Nazi Germany army belt, without buckle, but the strapend hammered around and reduced in width to make it work as a fastener. My problem is, those belts were all 45mm wide, when i tried to calculate the width from the pictures it seems more like 55mm.
What did you use?

Lol. Nope.

Paul Haga (PHProps) and I just crafted a belt from scratch Paul made the buckle by hand. The buckle, hole and overlapping belt is all BS. Just details and non functional. The belt closes in the back with velcro so it can be adjustable.

I think Paul is going to keep making them so reach out to him on FB. I'll ask him to post on the forums too.
Thxboy (Chris Greene)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Paul has them up on his Etsy site

https://www.etsy.com/listing/545361096/luke-skywalker-inspired-tlj-belt?ref=shop_home_active_3
paul_haga ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris reached out to me with the challenge of making this sucker from scratch. As he said prior, we built the front closure as a faux closure. The buckle/clasp was hand fabricated from sheet steel and the rivets are 10mm in diameter.

I went with a 3" scale for Chris because of his height so it looked proportionately correct. I can tool them for 2.5" scale as well for those closer to Mark's size.

If you have any other questions or would like to see a couple build photos, you can check them out on my PHProps FB page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/PHxPropsx/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1723720777638278

-Paul
mikid ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job...im planning on making yes for myself also....just into a project now that I have to finish....will be waring my TFA outfit for now....
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Chris!

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: