Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2e10bb69bbcc14f2a8705a25e9aa058Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rose Tico WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Rose Tico WIP Reply with quote

First off I just want to say I’m so happy that Star Wars is finally going to have an Asian female character on screen! And from the sound of it a pretty significant character! I’ve been planning this costume since I saw Kelly Marie Tran walk on stage for The Last Jedi panel at celebration. Representation matters, seeing her up there with the main cast and hearing her described as an unlikely hero was more than I ever could’ve hoped for.
Now onto the costume. I’ll also say I’m new to sewing, this is my first sewing project, so I may not get all the terminology exactly right. I’m already planning updates and probably a completely remade version. But I’ve got version one completed so I wanted to start a WIP thread. I will also be adding updates in this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/124795324852358/

Hair: Pulled back into a ponytail with a teal blue hair tie. Straight bangs with face framing on the sides flipped out.

Scarf: Burgundy material. It appears to be looped around her neck inside the collar of the jumpsuit.

Jumpsuit: The jumpsuit looks like a shade of yellow with heavy weathering. I used olive green fabric and color remover. I’m still experimenting with the color, I used a 5 minute bath in the color remover on this one. I found a fabric the looks closer online, “butter cup” duck canvas from Joann Fabrics. I plan to get some and most likely use that for my version 2. There is a hood attached to the jumpsuit. There are front seams on the pants and additional seams on the sleeves. The pants are tucked into the boots and blouse over the top, hiding the top of the boots and the cuff of the pants. All stitching is white.

https://i.imgur.com/aiQf81D.jpg

Pockets: There are 2 pockets, one chest pocket on the left side under her rank badge and one on here left leg around mid thigh. Both pockets stand out and have flaps with gray webbing tabs. The chest pocket has top stitching around the edges of the flaps and 5 lines of vertical stitching on the center on the pocket. The thigh pocket has a window for a com pad. The window is not centered, it is positioned to the left of the pocket. I’m estimating the window and com pad are about 2.5inx2.5in. The flap has 15 lines of vertical stitching, 7 on each side and one down the middle. The chest pocket is smaller than the thigh pocket, I cut it as a 6inx6in piece. The thigh pocket I cut to be a 6inx8in piece. I cut 2in wide strips to go around each pocket to make them stand out.

https://i.imgur.com/hWEJaYj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JHehPWV.jpg

Aurebesh: There is a patch, roughly the same size of the chest pocket, on the right side of the jumpsuit. There is Aurebesh writing on it that says “GLD Landing Officer”. GLD is in bigger type, around 1in. Landing Officer is about ⅓ of the size.

https://i.imgur.com/Ol306kq.jpg

Greeblies: There is a rank badge on the jumpsuit, it is above the chest pocket. It is sewn into a small fabric pocket (not sure if worded correctly). The left side of the pocket is not sewn to the jumpsuit which allows the badge to be removed. There are 4 barbed hose connectors on the right shoulder of her jumpsuit. They are held on with tan webbing, I think 1in. The same type of connectors are also on her belt, 5 on each side. My girlfriend designed a 3D print file for these and I plan to add them soon. I designed a 3D file for the com pad. The File for the rank badge I got on Etsy. I used a hammered dark silver spray paint for the rank badge and com pad.

https://i.imgur.com/8LmMnim.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Njn78Dq.jpg

Belt: The belt is from ebay, the some one used for the resistance pilots in TFA. “British Army Sand Desert Beige Plce Webbing Belt Roll Pin Buckle Military”. It is worn inside out and the pull tab on the buckle will need to be cut off. There are also hose connectors on the belt, 5 on each side of the buckle. There is also a loop to hold her tool. I’m still figuring out how I want to do this piece.

Boots: The boots are brown leather. They appear to be the same style as the ones worn by Poe at the beginning of TFA. Those boots are not currently made in women’s sizes. They are mid calf height, tops hidden by the jumpsuit.

Details: She is wearing a ring on the ring finger of her right hand. It appears to be a silver band with a large oval setting.

Weapons/Tools: She has a tool that is clipped to her belt. I’m guessing it is about 8in tall. The handle of the tool is black on the grip/body and orange on the bass and top of the grip. There are 2 prongs on top. They are silver and one is taller than the other. In images it appears to emit some kind of electrical current. The 3.75 action figure comes with an EL-16HFE blaster, the same one Poe uses at the beginning of TFA.

Lots of things I plan to change but here is what I have for now:
https://i.imgur.com/oWEmTS3.jpg

I’ll add any new details I think of or updates as I make them.
Here are my reference images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SuodQ42N6uV1JhcV81TnM1WjA

Here is my materials list, it is still very in progress but I will try to update soon:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FA1o_96G4sjsLoVmUm05GLrCP6E6AFZVTBDTGShpigI/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by horsegir48 () on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to post this WIP in fringe as well. We are not sure where TLJ characters will fall yet as to detachment. Your list looks very good so far.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • MEB Membership Officer
  • Temple Master Tosche Temple Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stardancer1914 wrote:
You may also want to post this WIP in fringe as well. We are not sure where TLJ characters will fall yet as to detachment. Your list looks very good so far.

Or stay here until the decision and then ask a moderator to move the topic if relevant. Please don't make copies of topic and do the forum heavier than it is already Crying or Very sad

Again horsegir48, very nice costume. For a first sewing it's really nice! Better than my own sewing after multiples ones Razz

Regarding the hair, here is a better resolution version of one of your references, where you can see the color, for people wondering where the hair clip color come from Wink http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/07/star-wars-cover-57.jpg

And regarding the greeblies, first I looooove the hammered paint you used Smile
But if you plan to print more, may I suggest two possible change to get better print quality on the top layers (difficult to see with only pics which of the 2 is the problem).
- Increase the shell thickness so that you have at least 6/7 layers, depending on your layer height.
- Set in the slicer a slightly smaller diameter for the filament (e.g. 1.7 instead of 1.75 mm, or 2.8 instead of 2.85mm) It seems like your printer is a little under extruding Smile

Impatient to see further development !! Smile
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
stardancer1914 wrote:

Or stay here until the decision and then ask a moderator to move the topic if relevant. Please don't make copies of topic and do the forum heavier than it is already Crying or Very sad

Again horsegir48, very nice costume. For a first sewing it's really nice! Better than my own sewing after multiples ones Razz

Regarding the hair, here is a better resolution version of one of your references, where you can see the color, for people wondering where the hair clip color come from Wink http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/07/star-wars-cover-57.jpg

And regarding the greeblies, first I looooove the hammered paint you used Smile
But if you plan to print more, may I suggest two possible change to get better print quality on the top layers (difficult to see with only pics which of the 2 is the problem).
- Increase the shell thickness so that you have at least 6/7 layers, depending on your layer height.
- Set in the slicer a slightly smaller diameter for the filament (e.g. 1.7 instead of 1.75 mm, or 2.8 instead of 2.85mm) It seems like your printer is a little under extruding Smile

Impatient to see further development !! Smile

Thanks! The higher resolution picture is much better, I'd been using the action figures for some of the details.

For the printing those were done on fast settings. I'm still planning to modify the com pad file so I'll print it on higher quality settings when I finish that.
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I think I found a fabric that is a more accurate color. I bought some and plan to remake the jumpsuit and add some of the updates I skipped on the first one. The main ones would be the seams on the sleeves and pants.
This is the fabric, the color is "butter cup": https://i.imgur.com/MhmCg76.png

https://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-duck-canvas-fabric/prd23683.html#q=duck%2Bcanvas&start=1

I'm going to use my version one to test some weathering techniques since version two will still need some. I'll also would on tailoring my first one so I can use it for a more accurate pattern when I start version 2.

As a side note I'm interested in becoming a costume judge for Rose and helping write the standards!
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks indeed the right color. Take care over, sometimes it can be good to get a slightly not good tone as the weathering might darken the full fabric and thus bring it to the right tone once weathered Wink

Regarding weathering, as she is I think supposed to be a mechanic (but doesn't seems to be so dirty for a mechanic), you can use shoe polish for "greasy" effects.
And if you have some scrap piece, you should try on it first before the suit, even if it's v1 Wink
iamwintermute ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that you printed the blaster yourself? How heavy is it? I'm looking to get the file but I'm debating on whether to do some of the parts in foam. A lot of cons these days are iffy on prop guns but will allow foam... Just a thought. Ideally I'd do it with a printer but I don't have access to a large format one at the moment.

And Id be interested in the file for the hose connectors if you'd be willing to share??

I'm going to have to order an entire roll of silver filament for this lol...
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamwintermute wrote:
You mentioned that you printed the blaster yourself? How heavy is it? I'm looking to get the file but I'm debating on whether to do some of the parts in foam. A lot of cons these days are iffy on prop guns but will allow foam... Just a thought. Ideally I'd do it with a printer but I don't have access to a large format one at the moment.

And Id be interested in the file for the hose connectors if you'd be willing to share??

I'm going to have to order an entire roll of silver filament for this lol...

The blaster isn't actually too heavy. I had to split it into pieces, my print bed is 8x8x10, my 16x16 isn't set up yet sadly. I attached small hooks to is so I can add a strap to make carrying it easier. The hooks are small enough that the aren't noticeable. I can take some pictures later.

And I'm happy to share the files for the hose connectors, I'll have to do that later when I'm back at my home computer though.
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Looks indeed the right color. Take care over, sometimes it can be good to get a slightly not good tone as the weathering might darken the full fabric and thus bring it to the right tone once weathered Wink

Regarding weathering, as she is I think supposed to be a mechanic (but doesn't seems to be so dirty for a mechanic), you can use shoe polish for "greasy" effects.
And if you have some scrap piece, you should try on it first before the suit, even if it's v1 Wink

I definitely have some scraps and I'll have more soon. The pattern was designed for a man so I'm still working on getting it tailored right but that means more scraps for testing.

I'll have to try shoe polish! If I was still at my old job I could get covered in actual grease haha.
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple updates.

Here the the painted hose connectors, I might shorten them a bit, they are slightly longer than the width of the belt. Once I get them attached I'll see how they look. Same hammered spray paint as the other details.

https://i.imgur.com/8y87Vvw.jpg

My girlfriend started working on a model of the hand tool. This version is a lttle bigger than I'd like and we thing there is a slight tamper towards the top. we are also making the top orange portion smaller.

https://i.imgur.com/RybYnOi.jpg
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little note regarding the hand tool. We can see a lot the print lines, usually judges will not validate if you can see it is printing, so if you go for another print, you should sand it more Wink
Can't say anything about the shape, got no idea how it is supposed to be Very Happy
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Just a little note regarding the hand tool. We can see a lot the print lines, usually judges will not validate if you can see it is printing, so if you go for another print, you should sand it more Wink
Can't say anything about the shape, got no idea how it is supposed to be Very Happy

I'm sure on my finial version I'll take care of the lines, I use a coating so I don't really want to waste it when I'm still making changes. But it is hard to scale it without having an actual assembled part to compare to the other pieces.
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horsegir48 wrote:
Ritin Kornas wrote:

I'm sure on my finial version I'll take care of the lines, I use a coating so I don't really want to waste it when I'm still making changes. But it is hard to scale it without having an actual assembled part to compare to the other pieces.

Ok Smile Are you printing in ABS or PLA or others? If ABS I can give you tips to polish final piece easily with no need of expensive resin, but just Acetone (different form acetone vapor smoothing, it's more acetone rubbing in that case.) Plus ABS is far easier to sand than PLA specially on small piece with lots of intricate designs!
horsegir48 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
horsegir48 wrote:
Ritin Kornas wrote:

Ok Smile Are you printing in ABS or PLA or others? If ABS I can give you tips to polish final piece easily with no need of expensive resin, but just Acetone (different form acetone vapor smoothing, it's more acetone rubbing in that case.) Plus ABS is far easier to sand than PLA specially on small piece with lots of intricate designs!

I don't usually print ABS, PLA has been more consistent. None of my printers have enclosures right now so I've been waiting to print anything other than a couple small things with ABS.
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horsegir48 wrote:

I don't usually print ABS, PLA has been more consistent. None of my printers have enclosures right now so I've been waiting to print anything other than a couple small things with ABS.

You don't really need the enclosure if it's something this size (I guess it's supposed to be handsize more or less). The important is really the kind of bed you have and if you have PEI or something similar on it, compare to glue, tape, spray, etc... the PEI is magic to hold the ABS while printing ^^ Trust me I've had to print without for a month or two and when I could finally put PEI... it was really like magic happened! Sticking with 0 problem and printing in good quality again Smile
But for sure ABS can be a bit more tricky to get the right settings I guess!
Good luck anyway Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: