Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e8e032556fdce1aa5524832b234af1a9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

UK Chewie build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty McFett (Tony Vaughan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: UK Chewie build Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm dipping my toe well n truly into the wookie world, I've spoke to quite a few of you on FB and collated all my research and knowledge and help you've all given me. And I've ordered my netting. I'm going to be watching quite a few box sets well listen to lol whilst I put the fur ball together.

I'm still in two minds about getting myself off the ground. I've never worn stilts before & thyre quite and investment to find out I can't use or do it lo. Anyone know if anywher in the UK rents them ? Or do I build or construct my own lifts. I've seen the buckets and that also an option.

I decided on my head supplier, a fella from England that I hope to purchase from late spring next year one I've got the rest of the bugger done. I really wanna go for lip snarl as well.

One thing I am having a problem with is viewing all the posts with pics form photobucket, is it a me thing I need to fix or is everyone in the same boat.

Once the netting has arrived I'll put the top together and I'll do the bottoms once I've decided on lifts/stilts.

Cheers all here's to a Wonderfull Wookiee time a head.

Ps I've been practicing my wookiee since I was about 5 lol
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty McFett wrote:
I'm still in two minds about getting myself off the ground. I've never worn stilts before & they're quite an investment to find out I can't use or do it lo. Anyone know if anywhere in the UK rents them ? Or do I build or construct my own lifts. I've seen the buckets and that also an option.

I can't speak for the situation in the U.K., but here in the U.S. you won't find people renting stilts and many companies won't sell them either due to liability concerns.

With my first Chewie, which I finished in 2005, I initially went with homemade steel stilts, then switched to 14" Dura-Stilts in late 2006. I wore those stilts until 2012 when I decided to build a new costume and use 7" KISS boots instead of stilts.

The commercial drywall stilts are all very nice. Light-weight and have a bi-directional articulated ankle mechanism, with two adjustable compression springs to control tension.

I never tried the Skywalker Stilts which were popular for a while. The manufacturer, Marshalltown, got out of the stilt business a while ago,including their traditionally-designed drywall stilts, but you can find them on eBay and other second hand sites, but they are nearly $800 now. Skywalker's also had an articulated ankle mechanism, but of a different design.

I have never tried the High Steppers, either. At some point I would like to try the various options and do a video about them.

Overall stilts just take a bit of practice and soon you will be comfortable on them.

I recommend getting your stilts early on. When you are building your suit you want to think about how to make yourself look like a giant, not just a guy with stilts on.

With stilts you have a tree trunk leg problem; the legs have to be as big around as the length of your feet, so a lot of the work is trying to figure out how to make it look natural.
You also have a proportion issue, so a lot of us wear shoulder pads and have some trick to make the arms look longer than they are. All of this has to be considered at the design phase when you are making your mesh suit.

For the most part you want your Mesh suit to be semi form fitting. The hair will add some bulk and you want to make Chewie look thin and lanky.

If you go with platform shoes/boots you have a different problem; you want the feet to look small. A lot of the home made platform shoes end up looking like they have humongous feet. The key is to build them like heels so that your feet slope down. This helps disguise the side of the feet.

Marty McFett wrote:
One thing I am having a problem with is viewing all the posts with pics form photobucket, is it a me thing I need to fix or is everyone in the same boat.

That's a photo bucket thing. Everyone is dealing with it. Very annoying.

Check my signature for some reference sites. The first one is my old Chewie Resources page which I haven't updated in nearly a decade. The second link is the updated one I am building now. There are also lots of great resources on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers buddy, I'll try n get some stilts I'm think on eBay n see how I get on. I'm only 6'1" so the kiss boots wouldn't get me to 7' so I'm gonna have to go big. Luckily I'm quite lanky in the arm department lol, apart from middle age spread I'm nearly Chewie shape lol. I've got an ice hockey buddy helping me source asset of pads to give me a big of width up top I'll see how I look once I've got the height sorted using a big pair of pjs to see if they look ok or not.

Cheers bud glad you said about photobucket it's doing my head in, is there a fix ?

& I'll Deffo check out your builds.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Have a look at the high stepper bucket stilts a lot of Wooks are using. Super light weight and can be modified/ cut down. I’d have those myself, but I need a full 22” to get to 7’ I use Marshalltown Skywalker stilts. Good luck and post any questions you may have Smile

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie, I've just bought some skywalkers fingers crossed I'll be able to get on with the,. Of not I think I'll go with the steppers or lifts.

Any tips gettin used to slits😬😬.

Once I've either snapped my ankle/ built mi lifts/buckets I'll get my net suit built. 😃😃😃😃

Thank for the support all.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start off in a hallway so you can use both walls to stabilize yourself. Then try grass (that's at least soft to fall on). I've fallen twice and forced myself forward both times. That isn't ideal and I was lucky not to hurt myself. Be careful and if you're uncomfortable, try the steppers. I personally LOVE my Skywalkers Smile

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know how I get on from either A&E or 7 foot in the air lol

Cheers matie
Gigglesdatrooper (Jason Widger)
Utapau Base CO
Utapau Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the bucket style stilts and at first I was worried but getting more and more use to them. Try not to look down when you start, try to walk normal. There is a mod to do to them to make them more stable that if you send me your email I can send to you. It makes it a million times easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: