Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=31af6d008ac4425fcc0421fc14366a4cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka (later Clone Wars) Costume advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerdylowcostplay (Christie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Ahsoka (later Clone Wars) Costume advice Reply with quote

Hey, everyone! So I'm working on this costume, and I'm curious what parts need to be fixed, besides the lightsabers, which are "toy." Any thoughts?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba21AyDAmkR/?taken-by=nerdylowcostplay

Also, can I really not use my sabers? *sniff*
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base XO
Takodana Base XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toy sabers are not allowed.

Hopefully some of Asoka experts can give you better feedback on the rest. If you can post images here that will help.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011–2013 • LCJ • Assistant Rebel Legion Webmaster
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell from one picture, but there appears to be stripes running down the front of the dress. ??

If you want more detailed feedback we would need more pictures. There are some different things I'm not sure about from looking at the picture, but I can't really tell just from this one whether they might be issues or not.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hard to tell from one picture, but there appears to be stripes running down the front of the dress. ??

If you want more detailed feedback we would need more pictures. There are some different things I'm not sure about from looking at the picture, but I can't really tell just from this one whether they might be issues or not.

Ah, yes. It's supposed to be texturing. I got it from one of the games.

And here are some other pictures. I know the sabers are no bueno. Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156650813@N04/?
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base XO
Takodana Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thank you! I couldn't figure out how to do that.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base XO
Takodana Base XO

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdylowcostplay wrote:
Oh, thank you! I couldn't figure out how to do that.

You're welcome. If you go to the all sizes page and right click and copy the image address you can paste here, add the img tags.
Code:

[img] [/img]
on either side and they'll display.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, what game did you get your references from? Because there are no stripes in the clone wars show, and those are the references we usually use, so by those references and the standard, the stripes would be a no go.
The hole on the back would also need to go deeper, the hole in front to be more teardrop shaped, and the back of the montral looks too slim to me.
What material are your bracers and halfchaps? Looks like fabric to me.
The dark orange in/on the leggings won't work either and you need the correct number of cut outs.

So, all in all, I'd say there's some work to be done on this. Perhaps our Ahsoka costumers can help you out. Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Okay, what game did you get your references from? Because there are no stripes in the clone wars show, and those are the references we usually use, so by those references and the standard, the stripes would be a no go.
The hole on the back would also need to go deeper, the hole in front to be more teardrop shaped, and the back of the montral looks too slim to me.
What material are your bracers and halfchaps? Looks like fabric to me.
The dark orange in/on the leggings won't work either and you need the correct number of cut outs.

So, all in all, I'd say there's some work to be done on this. Perhaps our Ahsoka costumers can help you out. Smile

Thanks for the reply! I got the stripes from the Star Wars: Force Arena game. Is that not a good source?

Also, I was planning to re-make the bracers and bootcovers with craft foam and then cover them with a moleskin or vinyl fabric--would that be good? I'll probably re-make the leggings, since as it is they aren't actually cut-outs.

Hm, you're right about that back lekku. I'll widen it.

Last edited by nerdylowcostplay (Christie) on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 am; edited 2 times in total
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base XO
Takodana Base XO

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdylowcostplay wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I got the stripes from the Star Wars: Force Arena game. Is that not a good source?

Not really, games, figures and the like are a secondary source because they often get details wrong from primary sources like the films and animations. They are best for filling in details not trumping primary (original) references.

nerdylowcostplay wrote:

*also, I apologize that I can't get the HTML working. As you can see, I think I've done the tags correctly....

Alas no. It should begin http:// and end with the image type. You have extra information there and thus it isn't working.

Be sure and click it, the image is much larger.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
nerdylowcostplay wrote:

Not really, games, figures and the like are a secondary source because they often get details wrong from primary sources like the films and animations.

nerdylowcostplay wrote:

*also, I apologize that I can't get the HTML working. As you can see, I think I've done the tags correctly....

Alas no. It should begin http:// and end with the image type. You have extra information there and thus it isn't working.

Ha-ha! I got it! Very Happy

Bummer about the stripes. I suspected this might be an issue, but I thought it added texturing that looked nice, so....
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, Sith happens, as we say.

I'll recommend that you study the clone wars references and make your costume to look like that. Smile

AhsokaFreakingTano (Kelly Hawthorne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Advice from an Ahsoka Reply with quote

Hey there, while not a judge I am an approved Ahsoka. You can look at my WIP thread to get some ideas.
I didn't use craft foam for the bracers and I don't suggest it, vinyl with a heavyweight interfacing will be the best bet for you unless you'd like to swing for actual leather.
As for the rest of it, if you'd like help and advice for what I did I'm more than happy to walk you through what I used for my costume if you'd like. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base XO
Takodana Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/\/\/\
Some good advice from Kelly. She does an excellent Ahsoka and would be good to have as a resource.

Last edited by ionicdesign (Michael) on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Advice from an Ahsoka Reply with quote

GigglingGothGirl wrote:
Hey there, while not a judge I am an approved Ahsoka. You can look at my WIP thread to get some ideas.
I didn't use craft foam for the bracers and I don't suggest it, vinyl with a heavyweight interfacing will be the best bet for you unless you'd like to swing for actual leather.
As for the rest of it, if you'd like help and advice for what I did I'm more than happy to walk you through what I used for my costume if you'd like. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.

Thanks very much! I actually just bought some vinyl. Smile Do you think I need the interfacing? The vinyl seems pretty sturdy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: