Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b3990617ce0302cff058e369bc382c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Man's B-Wing Pilot W.I.P.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Man ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: B-Man's B-Wing Pilot W.I.P. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I joined the forum recently with the plan to build a B-Wing pilot costume.

Not far along yet but I have a few bits and pieces to start with.

A pair of red overalls for the flightsuit...

Please let me know if the colour looks ok. I'll be adding the required pockets and other bits with suitable fabric that I purchased today. I'll photograph it with the overalls tomorrow to confirm match.

This shot shows the red of the overalls with the fabric I hope is suitable for the flak vest.

Here's another shot of the possible flak vest material. There are actually two blankets in this shot, slightly different colours and textures. Any thoughts? Does the fabric look ok for the flak vest? Which one is better?

Here are my gloves. They are currently wrist length so I'll add the gauntlet extension with the black leather pieces I have that can be seen in the photo. The white paper is my initial template for the extensions. Long enough? Tapered enough?

Please give any advice,recommendations and suggestions.

Cheers,

Glen.

Last edited by B-Man () on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 am; edited 7 times in total
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies... having trouble getting images to appear. Please bear with me.

Confused

EDIT: image issues seem to be sorted now... whew! Rolling Eyes
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here's a comparison photo of the red overalls and the fabric for added pockets etc…

It looks perfect to me and the only discrepancy is the weight of the fabric, which is ever-so-slightly lighter.

I'm itching to start on the chest box and helmet but need to research how to do it first. Anybody have any thoughts on the best (low budget) way to sculpt these parts ready for vacuum forming?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. That color of coveralls should be just fine. As for the flak vest material, I like hte one on the right better, the left one looks too yellowish.

The gloves, it looks to me like the gauntlet should flare out a little bit more.

The chestbox, I made my original out of layers of foam, sculpted in details with PaperClay, and then sealed it with wood glue and resin, before I made a mold of it. I can't help you with the helmet, my helmet is cast from a Return of the Jedi mold and all I did was do some minor fixing before making a mold of it. Most people sculpt their helmets out of clay, though, unless there's a base helmet to work from (like how the X-wing pilot helmet was made). But there is no base helmet for the B-wing, it was completely sculpted for the movie.

If it helps any, I do sell chestbox, helmet and belt box kits... Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Pilot Mentor - Alpha Base Member

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Looks good. That color of coveralls should be just fine. As for the flak vest material, I like hte one on the right better, the left one looks too yellowish.

The gloves, it looks to me like the gauntlet should flare out a little bit more.

The chestbox, I made my original out of layers of foam, sculpted in details with PaperClay, and then sealed it with wood glue and resin, before I made a mold of it. I can't help you with the helmet, my helmet is cast from a Return of the Jedi mold and all I did was do some minor fixing before making a mold of it. Most people sculpt their helmets out of clay, though, unless there's a base helmet to work from (like how the X-wing pilot helmet was made). But there is no base helmet for the B-wing, it was completely sculpted for the movie.

If it helps any, I do sell chestbox, helmet and belt box kits... Razz

Hi Alex,

Yes, the left flak vest material is yellower than the right so I'll use the less yellow stuff.

You're right about the glove flare, I looked more closely at reference images and saw that my initial glove template is not flared enough. Are there any diagrams / templates with dimensions for this and other items such as the additional pockets on the flight suit? I know there's a dimension mentioned for the chestbox of 9x9 inches, so was wondering if anyone has done a list of dimensions for all the other bits and pieces.

Thanks for the chestbox sculpting tips. I was thinking of doing it with MDF and vacuum forming but I'll investigate your method more before going ahead. Sculpting in clay is worth thinking about too.

I'd love to buy your parts but my budget wont currently allow that I don't think. Please do send me a quote for all items though, just in case. Shipped to Whangarei, New Zealand.

Cheers,

Glen.
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a template I did for the chestbox...

I'm going to use layers of foam as suggested by Blue Banshee Leader, at least initially to get the shapes right and might do the whole process as per his suggestion.

But before I tackle that, is there anything that looks obviously wrong in my template? Do the dimensions look ok? Also, what is the depth of the chestbox at the deepest and shallowest points?

I got some of the black plastic buckles today too.

Slowly but surely...
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a sketch of the B-Wing pilot helmet side and decided I'll have a go at making the helmet using expanding foam around a polystyrene mannequin head.

Here's the sketch and head…

The head is smaller than my actual head so I wrapped it with some bubble wrap and taped an old T-shirt over it, then marked on the helmet outline...

I then taped on some cardboard around the outline to form a basic shape...

I'd never used expanding foam before and think I used a bit much...

I'll let it cure and then have a go at cutting away the excess and sculpting the helmet shape. I've not done much sculpting before so I'm not sure how it will work out, but it's worth a crack.

Also, is this template a better shape for the glove addition?

Any advice is welcomed.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Regarding the chestbox, from the highest point to the lowest point it's 9" x 9". The bottom edge of the right side (or the left side if you're wearing it) slants up just a little bit to the corner, it's not a flat edge, and all of the upper edges have a slant, too. The inner edges of the top parts slant upwards just a few degrees.

Also, the back edge of the chestbox isn't flat, either, around the last two or three inches of the bottom of the chestbox it bows out (on the back, not the front), the bottom edge tapers down and it curves around the stomach. It's kind of hard to explain, I guess. Heh.

And here are a few pictures of one of my chestboxes, for example...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Alex.

Those 'Prop Store' photos are the ones I'm going by. There are others that show the other side of the chestbox and I did notice the curvature that conforms to body shape that you mention. I've downloaded lots of other photos too that will help. The depth dimension I'm really after is from the front surface to the body, and the photos of your own chestbox shows that quite well. I'm guessing about 2 inches maximum depth?
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit of shaping on the helmet today…

Then I got the template for the AN-H-15 helmet (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69008&highlight=endor) and proceeded to cut up my pants to make the cloth helmet…

I pinned then stitched the top two pieces together…

Then pinned the side pieces on…

And stitched them up…

This is the result so far…

Note: I don't have a sewing machine so all my sewing on this costume will be by hand with needle and thread. I hope that's ok for approval.
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on the gloves today.

First I cut the leather...

Then I sewed up the side of the leather, turned inside-out, and pinned to the glove...

Here is the result after sewing...

Only showing one in the photo, but they are both the same. Look ok?
B-Man ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the flak vest today.

Cut it out of the donor blanket but then realised that I'd need to add the two ribs below the neckline and there wasn't enough material for that…

So I made an insert piece by hot glueing a couple of pieces of cord to the back of a piece of blanket…

Then rolled the blanket piece around the cords and glued in place…

The vest was cut and the piece added…

Almost done...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
War009 (William R)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo hoo Very nice

Womp Rat 14- "Because I was inverted, isnt the right R3."
501st- TI-31909 (RP, ANH, 181st, Fel, 181st Dress)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: