Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b8af6159e77d354df7b890394d7ec1dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Master Skywalker (flashback) costume WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Master Skywalker (flashback) costume WIP Reply with quote

I am completely in love with all of the Luke Skywalker costumes from the new Trilogy. At the moment, Iím working on two. The first is the ďnormalĒ Old Man Luke from TFA/TLJ (the inclusion of a glove and a metal beating stick is an easy change). This thread is for the other costume that is seen in TFA and the previews for TLJ. Specifically, this is the costume that Iím calling the Master Skywalker costume.

The costume is seen as his sleeved arm in the flashback that Rey had as well as the flashback sequences seen in the TLJ previews of the praxeum in flames. While this isnít enough detail to show off the entirety of the costume, there is another picture from the filming of TFA showing Luke (or a body-double in this case) in his full costume as the director shows him what he wants in the scene (reach out and touch R2).

While the entirety of the costume isnít visible, itís visible enough for some general observations and dissection. Iíll do that below, but not the typical wall of text that I usually do. Instead, I will be comparing it to the TFA costume and bringing up the points in regards to the Generic Jedi CRL. Specifically, I will be bringing up the minor inconsistencies in between the costume and the Generic Jedi for a Jedi Judge to give me a yea or nay on.

1. Outer Tunic
The OT is identical to the TFA OT, except that it is PT-length. The only place it deviates from the standards is that it does not have a 2 inch wide collar.

2. Tabards
The tabards are a shortened version of the two-strip design from the TFA costume and extend to just a bit below the hem of the OT.

3. Obi
Identical to the TFA obi and follows the Generic Jedi standards.

4. Jedi Belt
The belt is identical to the TFA belt from what I can see. Itís the same belt body and buckle, thus I am going to infer that it is the same belt. That means that it is a Style B belt. It follows the standards, except for the boot inclusion (see below).

5. Lightsaber
While Luke is never shown to carry a lightsaber, I can include a ROTJ belt-hanging saber.

6. Lightsaber Clip
I plan on including the hook on the belt as per the TFA standards.

7. Pants
The pants look to be the same pants as worn in TFA. They follow the standards.

8. Boots
Hereís the first point totally out of the standards. All of Lukeís costumes have the same design: Tattoine Farmboy boots with leg wraps. In TFA they were the cream color of his pants and for Hobo Luke they are the same brown as his pants. Thus, it is my belief that he will wear the same boots/wraps that he is seen wearing in TFA. If this isnít allowed, then I can put together a pair of brown boots to match the belt. (JEDI JUDGES PLEASE LET ME KNOW)

9. No visible t-shirts.
Got this one covered since it would be hidden by the IT.

10. Permitted Colors for Outer Tunics, Inner Tunics, Tabards, Obi, Pants and Robes/Cloaks(capes)
The Cloak is brown, the IT is white, and the rest are cream.

MINIMUM REQUIRED EXTRAS

1. Inner Tunic
Itís the same IT as seen in TFA, but is tucked in (it canít be seen under the OT which is the same length as the IT in the end of the movie).

2. Jedi Pouches
Because it is the same belt, there is only one pouch. If this is a problem, please let me know.

3. Food Pellets
Nope. Those are PT.

4. Jedi Robe or Cloak
Itís the same design of cloak from TFA, but it is in a more PT material. So, it is a cloak with an opera strap.

Accessories
Because I am doing Luke, Iíll be wearing my wig, not shaving off my beard, and wearing my robot-hand glove.

-------------------------

What say you, Jedi Judges? Would it pass or not?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the only pic?

we would still need front/back/rightside pics , for this to be an 'approvable' face character costume.

also, the judges have never accepted 'promotional pics' or 'behind-the-scenes' pics as a viable costume reference before..

even the promo pics of anakin and obiwan from EPIII -- the onscreen costumes have minor differences (re: number and position of food caps and whatnot).

the mantra has always been: promo pics and exhibition photos are not trustworthy.

I'm not sure what the position is, on "behind the scenes" pics or "deleted scenes" pics -- I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

it might be better to just do it as "generic". Confused
Alderaan Base CO
Alderaan Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking forward to doing this version as well.
I'm hoping we get it in the flashback in TLJ so that we may possibly have more images.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm mostly asking about is if the lack of a collar, single belt pouch, and Luke wrap boots would keep this costume from being approved as a generic Jedi.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say: promotional images, behind the scenes, and exhibition photos are all fine as secondary references, just as detailed figurines, but shouldn't be used in place of primary references. (Aka the movie stills) Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. What I'm asking is very specific.

If I recreate this costume to the best of my ability, even though it lacks a collar on the OT and the boots are the Luke-wrap boots, would it be approvable?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I can see it the issues would be with the lack of collar, only having one pouch, and no lightsaber. Saying the cream boots are in the same color range as the brown belt would also be stretching it.

So no, it probably wouldn't be accepted as a generic jedi.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
As I can see it the issues would be with the lack of collar, only having one pouch, and no lightsaber. Saying the cream boots are in the same color range as the brown belt would also be stretching it.

So no, it probably wouldn't be accepted as a generic jedi.
The second pouch wouldn't be a problem and I can add a lightsaber without any problem. The boots are also no problem (they can't be seen, so they can be brown riding boots).

With that, what about just the collar? Would I be able to be approved as generic without the collar? Or is the collar a necessary part of the Generic Jedi costume?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, vests are approvable for generic jedi, so you'd need to alter it.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spoken with one of my friends. I don't want to identify them, but they were able to confirm a couple of things now that the movie is premiering. This costume will show up in the movie. It will also be seen from more than just behind and just the arm in the rain. So, I will continue working towards building it for approval as it appears and not as a generic Jedi.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck then. Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the movie out now and this costume seen in more than a BTS shot, I'm still continuing with it.

I just got a wild hair based on some of Dawn's close-up shots. I'll be testing it this weekend for the cloak and will be posting it soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: