Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a0a930489417ce0b188728a04af606d1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Helmet

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
XilaleStrange (Priscila)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2016
Posts: 218
Location: Porto, Portugal
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Endor Helmet Reply with quote

Hello

I'm on the process of making my Endor Leia, but i need help with the Helmet.

I need help with the soft part of the Helmet, are there any patterns?

And i have these files for the donut is this aprovable?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2488643/#comments
_________________
"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only Hope."

Work in Progress: Briefing Room Leia, Endor Comando Leia, and Jedi Leia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO


Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 612
Location: Switzerland
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep there are those 2 links from the tutorial

http://www.greyjedi.me/role_clothing/tutorials/_AN-H-15HELMETPATTERN.pdf
and
http://www.greyjedi.me/role_clothing/tutorials/endor_helmet1.html

Regarding the hard helmet, can't tell, I'm no judge, but my 3D model will be available soon too, cut for 15*15*15cm printers too, and with 3 possible back : indented or not Wink and 2 indents shapes, to match various existing helmets, and references pictures (according to costume book, no indents, only painted stripes)
_________________
CO Rebel Legion Helvetica Base (serving Switzerland)
Member of the RL Galactic Senate Council
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 994
Location: Arizona
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Friendly FYI:

A problem with the tutorial patterns for making your own AN-H-15 soft cap replica,
is that the original real visor on the AN-H-15 Flight helmets was never included in the patterns.

You can see how much material is missing from the forehead when comparing to these real AN-H-15 soft caps:




Some soft cap replica makers have assumed that the missing visor is not needed and sewn the larger (Movie added) visor directly to their soft cap replicas.
Sewing the large visor directly to the soft cap replica pushes the front of the Donut helmet up and is usually the primary reason why the Donut helmet is often rocked back really far in many costume submission photos. (And get turned down by the costume judges.)
The screen used large Movie visors were attached to the Donut helmet, Not to the AN-H-15 soft caps. So it was easy to adjust the height and angle of the Donut helmet.

The original real visor is an essential component of the soft cap's dimensions, which covers the forehead and also provides a comfort layer to help protect the forehead and keep the Donut helmet from digging in.

You may add another piece of material to your soft cap to replace the (real) visor that wasn't included in the patterns. It needs to come down at least an inch or more below the existing front edge of the soft cap pattern.
It doesn't necessarily need to stick out like the real visors do, it just needs to come down more and cover the rest of the forehead.

Now, when I make my soft cap replicas, I have modified my patterns to include at least an additional inch (25mm) of material at the front, so it covers most of the forehead.


This eliminates the need to add a smaller visor, and you can still finish your replica the way that the tutorial shows.

David L.



More info in this thread:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69008
_________________


http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO


Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 612
Location: Switzerland
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. As it seems you have an ANH-15, may I ask you if the ear "buns" are supposed to be some or hard material in the originals ?
_________________
CO Rebel Legion Helvetica Base (serving Switzerland)
Member of the RL Galactic Senate Council
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XilaleStrange (Priscila)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2016
Posts: 218
Location: Porto, Portugal
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Yep there are those 2 links from the tutorial

http://www.greyjedi.me/role_clothing/tutorials/_AN-H-15HELMETPATTERN.pdf
and
http://www.greyjedi.me/role_clothing/tutorials/endor_helmet1.html

Regarding the hard helmet, can't tell, I'm no judge, but my 3D model will be available soon too, cut for 15*15*15cm printers too, and with 3 possible back : indented or not Wink and 2 indents shapes, to match various existing helmets, and references pictures (according to costume book, no indents, only painted stripes)



Thank you 😊

What do you use for the ear cups?
_________________
"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only Hope."

Work in Progress: Briefing Room Leia, Endor Comando Leia, and Jedi Leia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
XilaleStrange (Priscila)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2016
Posts: 218
Location: Porto, Portugal
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
This is a Friendly FYI:

A problem with the tutorial patterns for making your own AN-H-15 soft cap replica,
is that the original real visor on the AN-H-15 Flight helmets was never included in the patterns.

You can see how much material is missing from the forehead when comparing to these real AN-H-15 soft caps:




Some soft cap replica makers have assumed that the missing visor is not needed and sewn the larger (Movie added) visor directly to their soft cap replicas.
Sewing the large visor directly to the soft cap replica pushes the front of the Donut helmet up and is usually the primary reason why the Donut helmet is often rocked back really far in many costume submission photos. (And get turned down by the costume judges.)
The screen used large Movie visors were attached to the Donut helmet, Not to the AN-H-15 soft caps. So it was easy to adjust the height and angle of the Donut helmet.

The original real visor is an essential component of the soft cap's dimensions, which covers the forehead and also provides a comfort layer to help protect the forehead and keep the Donut helmet from digging in.

You may add another piece of material to your soft cap to replace the (real) visor that wasn't included in the patterns. It needs to come down at least an inch or more below the existing front edge of the soft cap pattern.
It doesn't necessarily need to stick out like the real visors do, it just needs to come down more and cover the rest of the forehead.

Now, when I make my soft cap replicas, I have modified my patterns to include at least an additional inch (25mm) of material at the front, so it covers most of the forehead.


This eliminates the need to add a smaller visor, and you can still finish your replica the way that the tutorial shows.

David L.



More info in this thread:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69008


Thank you so much.

Where can i find those ear cups?
_________________
"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only Hope."

Work in Progress: Briefing Room Leia, Endor Comando Leia, and Jedi Leia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 994
Location: Arizona
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Thank you for the info. As it seems you have an ANH-15, may I ask you if the ear "buns" are supposed to be some or hard material in the originals ?

I don't actually own an original vintage soft cap, but I have modded one for one of my customers.
The ear cups or "buns" are molded from some type of hard rubber. They are fairly thick and will flex just a little but not much.

While I had the vintage soft cap in my possession, I copied the exact shape and size of the ear cups and made molds to vac form them from sheet plastic.



The ridge around the ear holes isn't exactly perfect, but they are about as close as you can get to the correct size and shape.
It's very difficult to get those right without a vintage soft cap to take measurement from.

XilaleStrange wrote:

Where can i find those ear cups?


I do sell the ear cups, but the cost of shipping overseas would be expensive unless multiple sets of them were purchased together to save on shipping.

David L.
_________________


http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XilaleStrange (Priscila)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2016
Posts: 218
Location: Porto, Portugal
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
Ritin Kornas wrote:
Thank you for the info. As it seems you have an ANH-15, may I ask you if the ear "buns" are supposed to be some or hard material in the originals ?

I don't actually own an original vintage soft cap, but I have modded one for one of my customers.
The ear cups or "buns" are molded from some type of hard rubber. They are fairly thick and will flex just a little but not much.

While I had the vintage soft cap in my possession, I copied the exact shape and size of the ear cups and made molds to vac form them from sheet plastic.



The ridge around the ear holes isn't exactly perfect, but they are about as close as you can get to the correct size and shape.
It's very difficult to get those right without a vintage soft cap to take measurement from.

XilaleStrange wrote:

Where can i find those ear cups?


I do sell the ear cups, but the cost of shipping overseas would be expensive unless multiple sets of them were purchased together to save on shipping.

David L.


How much would cost with shipping?
_________________
"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only Hope."

Work in Progress: Briefing Room Leia, Endor Comando Leia, and Jedi Leia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO


Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 612
Location: Switzerland
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case, I was planning to 3D model them to print them for myself (with the advantages to be able to resize if not looking good, specially as this is not complicated print and doesn't require much plastic, you can easily experiment until right size achieved). Now that I have confirmation it is not supposed to be super soft like a leather-like material, I'll move on Wink

Thanks for the info droidwelder !
_________________
CO Rebel Legion Helvetica Base (serving Switzerland)
Member of the RL Galactic Senate Council
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 994
Location: Arizona
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XilaleStrange wrote:
DroidWelder wrote:




I do sell the ear cups, but the cost of shipping overseas would be expensive unless multiple sets of them were purchased together to save on shipping.

David L.


How much would cost with shipping?


I sent you a Private Message

David L.
_________________


http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group