Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9cb3cccf0a0884cd0fc3fc01c9797580Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Luke Skywalker TLJ - Crait Confrontation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyleKatarn (Alex Townsend)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Luke Skywalker TLJ - Crait Confrontation Reply with quote

Final "duel" with Kylo Ren on the Crait Moon, from the end of TLJ.

Last edited by KyleKatarn (Alex Townsend) on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KyleKatarn (Alex Townsend)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, this is the costume he wears when he appears as a mental projection during his confrontation with Kylo Ren on the Krayt Moon near the end of the movie. He looks distinctly younger in this guise, with shorter hair more like his ROTJ style, and more brown with less grey. His beard also appears neater, and with less grey in it. The costume has a real ROTJ-feel to it, although there are no elements of his ROTJ outfit directly reused here as far as I can see.

I did wonder if this is just a “clean” version of his hermit outfit, but there are parts which seem distinctly different.

Unfortunately, there is no reference to this costume in The Visual Dictionary which was released today, only his TFA-style robes, and the hermit poncho version.

Since there are also no screen caps yet, this is all recalled from memory, having seen the movie twice. Feel free anyone to correct me on any elements!

Black tunic - similar sizing to the knitted tunic from his hermit outfit (long-sleeved, bottom hem ending between crotch and knee), but the material is more like his ROTJ shirt, and the whole tunic appears flat-fronted, without any fold-over fastening, so more like something you’d pull over your head to put on. The hood appears sewn to the collar, and is part of the tunic rather than the cape, which is made from a different material. The neck of the white undershirt is visible at the collar and the white sleeves protrude 2-3 inches from inside the black tunic sleeves.

White undershirt - same as his TFA Jedi undershirt as far as I can see, so basically a white version of his ROTJ shirt. Square bib up to neckline with upper and lower panels, upright mandarin-style collar, thick cuffs at sleeve ends.

Straight-legged pants – I’m going to say black, as that’s how they seemed to appear on-screen. Obviously if they are a clean version of his hermit costume, then they may turn out to be brown or greenish brown.

Boots – same as his other two TLJ costumes, brownish ankle boots with vertical details around ankle, and tightly-wound brown leg wrappings up to just below knee.

Belt - dark brown leather belt, 2 to 2.5 inches wide, no visible snaps, hooks or d-rings. Octagonal metal buckle (again similar to ROTJ, not same as hermit outfit).

Cape – this is very difficult to make out. It seems to be separate from the tunic/hood, and is clearly made from different material. The fabric appears black, with a horizontal pattern. It covers the shoulders, and sits underneath the tunic hood when down. There is a vertical split in the centre of the back at the bottom, which extends up some way, giving the appearance of “tails” when the

Hair/beard - brown/grey hair, similar length and style to ROTJ. Full beard, thick but not straggly.

ESB lightsabre – this is one of the giveaways that this Luke is a projection, as the sabre is destroyed when Ren and Rey struggle for it, but it now appears restored.

Glove – I actually can’t remember if he wears a glove in this scene, or whether he has a mechanical hand, or two normal hands.

A bit vague right now, and we may not have the answers to many of these questions until the Blu-Ray is released around April, but hopefully it’s a start. It’s disappointing this costume is not included in The Visual Dictionary.

I’d like to do this costume since my hairstyle, beard, and eye colour resemble Luke in this guise, so I’ll have another look at it when I take my sons to the cinema to see it next week.

Any comments much appreciated!

Last edited by KyleKatarn (Alex Townsend) on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on with all but a couple of small details.

1) The tunic, cape, pants, boots, and wraps were black. The light was bright enough (and I was sitting close enough) that I could see the definite contrast between the belt and the tunic.

2) There was a glove, but it was a dark brown ROTJ-version glove and not the brown leather glove he wears during the rest of the movie.

3) The belt was not the same. It was the same base construction, but the saber clip was on the right side rather than the left and it didn't have any pouches. Oh, and the buckle was polished.

Otherwise, yeah. Spot on.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in making this as well. The only extra detail I might add from the second viewing last night is that there may not be a seam in back of the cloak. Saber hook did not appear to be OT style.

Have you ever danced with the krayt dragon in the pale moonlight?
Milla Sayven ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the cloak a poncho with tails?

Have you ever danced with the krayt dragon in the pale moonlight?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the cape is built into the tunic. I'd have to see it again to be sure, but even then I don't think they'd let me pause it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly missed the saber hook, thought the belt was completely plain apart from the buckle. I'll have to look more closely when I take my sons next week!

Really hoping for some references for this soon.

The cape is a different material from the tunic, whereas the hood is the same fabric, which is what leads me to think the cape is seperate, while the hood is part of the tunic.

In any case I'll probably make them seperately and look at fastening the cape around the shoulders somehow.

What are thoughts about the material for the white undershirt?

And are we thinking the boots/leg wraps are brown or black?

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the same shirt can be used for TFA and Crait; the collar looks different.

I'd love some screen caps to study this better, but I doubt we'll get that before the movies comes out on blu-ray and DVD, unless we get lucky with exhibitions.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I don't think the same shirt can be used for TFA and Crait; the collar looks different.

It actually is. The problem is with the way the cape is attached to the outer tunic. It's pulling from either side, which is pulling the shirt to the sides. The pulled shirt opens the collar up wider. However, the sleeves are the same and so is the priest-collar.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought, the squared off collar was definitely there, and the top of the bib was clearly visible. Just there was a wider gap between the collar edges than usual.

Dammit, need more references!!

erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collar appeared textured - like it was ribbed, similar to Krennic's in Rogue One. It might not have been, I didn't get the best look at it and they didn't let me pause the film either.

Saber hook is the same as on his Old Luke costume for TLJ. See photos of the display costume in my other post, going up momentarily, with links to the pictures I took of Resistance Rey and Old Luke at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum yesterday. They removed the rivets from the left side (TFA version) and put in a new hook on the right, just forward of the pouch. There's a single brown/bronze rivet about an inch from the bottom of the belt there, and that small triangular aluminum hook.
Oel Darkrider (Leonardo S. Furlani)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this costume too!!!
BXO Cruz del Sur Base 2016-16
BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016-16
SXO - RLSC - Cuntur Squadron 2015-16
SCO - RLSC - Cuntur Squadron 2016-17
SCO - RLSC - Cuntur Squadron 2017-18
Alpha Chaos 13 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just posting so I can watch the thread. Loved this costume!
501st NorthEast Remnant CO
Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies)
Mountain Base CO
Mountain Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots looked black or at least darker brown than the wraps. The wraps were clearly brown.
feltonbass (Steven Barbarich)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting to follow the thread as well. This is the build I want to work on.

Ive seen the movie twice ( so far ), and I keep going back and forth between Dark Brown or Black.

Belt looks RotJ on dark brown. The boots also look dark brown.

Hopefully we'll get some officially released pics in the coming weeks for reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: