Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd3ecd06b4c44e1de7dd86e90f8b8e65Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jawa WIP - So it begins...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Ducky (Jessie Lynch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Jawa WIP - So it begins... Reply with quote

Hi There!

I got my first costume approved back in November, and have had such a blast trooping with it, I wanted to jump headlong into another one. After a bit of research, I figured I'd go in a different direction than my normal Jedi path, and go for a Jawa instead.

I picked up a bolt of cotton Monkscloth from Jo Ann fabrics in natural cotton, and will be seeing about dying it in the coming weeks. I'm open to suggestions as to what color or dye combinations work best to get the right color on the fabric. Photo of the fabric in question: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGZqWSuqkeCrBaIc2

I'm looking forward to suggestions for how to get the mask and eyes set up - in the past, my experience with getting LEDs working is questionable at best. But I'm looking forward to trying again!

Cheers,
Jessie[/img]
Jawa - Duk'ki
OT Rebel Pilot - Fable "Needles" Thek (Human), Kara'tau Daucus (Twi'lek)

Twi'lek Jedi Librarian - WIP
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 RIT dark browns to 2 sunshine oranges and make sure to wash and dry because there will be fabric shrinkage.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
4 RIT dark browns to 2 sunshine oranges and make sure to wash and dry because there will be fabric shrinkage.

Awesome. Thank you. Fabric is washed and drying now - so next step will be to acquire the dyes and get that going - thank you for letting me know the formula.
Jawa - Duk'ki

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabric is washed and dyed (and washed again to make sure it is set). Hoping the coloration is right. It's a good rich brown color with a little bit of warmth to it, and it came through nice and even.

Color looks a little different depending on the angle I photograph it from. Lighting in my work area is great for seeing what I'm working on, not so great for getting good photos of fabric color.
Jawa - Duk'ki

Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good from what I can see.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress has been made. I've got the fabric draped and cut to length. I believe the fabric is wide enough, even after washing and pre-shrinking it - that I can just make a T-robe (one piece, just sewn up the sides).

My question is: Is there a guideline for the length of the sleeves? When I tried it on (before cutting the excess off) the sleeves hit right about mid-way on the back of my hands when my arms are at my side. They will lose a little length once I rough up the edge for giving it that tattered look.

Should I continue with the T-robe style, or should I do the sleeves separate from the body, and sew them so that the seams are hidden under the edge of the hood/cowl?
Jawa - Duk'ki

Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make the sleeves separate. Because if you do the T, you can't make them longer if it doesn't work.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my robe is coming along nicely - I'm almost done with the basic assembly - had to take the sleeve seams up so they would be hidden properly. It is very oversized right now, as I wanted to leave plenty of room for weathering and fraying the sleeves.

I took a break yesterday while working from home (due to the icy weather) to play with an idea I have for making the eyes. I have a lot of amber colored pill bottles laying around from prescriptions over the years - and realized that with some adjustments, they would be a pretty good size and color for Jawa eyes.

So I set some battery operated tea-lights under them - layering a smaller bottle inside a larger bottle, and I'm rather happy with the initial results. I'm going to add a little bit of lighting gels I have sitting around from another project to properly hide the raised numbers on the bottoms and diffuse the lights a bit more.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/F5yHay]

Maybe if I have time this weekend, I'll see about adding them to a mask and doing an initial overlay with black fabric to see how they look in place.
Jawa - Duk'ki

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress, but I don't have pictures of all of it yet.

My robe is all but finished, just needs to be weathered and the edges frayed a bit. I zig zagged about an inch up from the edge to keep it from fraying into nothing over time (sleeves, hem, and neckline).

I started on the hood last night, since I had the perfect piece of frabric for it after I cut the robe down to size. Stitched the inside of the hood to the outside, and pinned the horsehair braid in place to offer some shaping. Will be adding an extra two lengths of braid to add stiffness and keep the hood open.
[/url]

I also got the eyes to a point I think they will work - made from amber pill bottle bottoms, battery operated tea lights, and orange/yellow lighting gels, and enough hot glue to hold them all together. I don't have my mask base yet, but that should be here on Wednesday. Hopefully I can get the attached easily when it arrives.

I'm rather happy with how it diffuses the light and makes a pretty solid glow effect.
Jawa - Duk'ki

dbuck (david buckley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, great work so far. I am going to say that I believe your eyes are too large. Most costumed jawas have this issue, so you're not alone.
A search of original images shows eyes that at best are an inch in diameter.

http://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-7-things-you-might-not-know-about-jawas

There's also a great image I used in researching my wife's costume, three jawas outside the cantina. Great image of their faces and hands. I don't have it saved anymore, I got it from Rancho Obi wan, but I'm sure it's available on Google.

Einstein

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbuck wrote:
Hi, great work so far. I am going to say that I believe your eyes are too large. Most costumed jawas have this issue, so you're not alone.
A search of original images shows eyes that at best are an inch in diameter.

http://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-7-things-you-might-not-know-about-jawas

There's also a great image I used in researching my wife's costume, three jawas outside the cantina. Great image of their faces and hands. I don't have it saved anymore, I got it from Rancho Obi wan, but I'm sure it's available on Google.

Darn - I was rather afraid I had made them too big. I think the first set I had made, which was just the amber pill bottle, with the lighting gel, should be closer to the right size - they are almost exactly 1" in diameter. Just need to modify them a bit to difuse the light properly. I'll try that out.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Jawa - Duk'ki

dbuck (david buckley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used those little kiddie quarter machine toys dispenser caps, sanded them opaque, and used amber LEDs.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4557/38162530402_2378e1e99c_b.jpg
Edit:
Found a low res version of that photo mentioned earlier here:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/363595369899424455/

Let me also congratulate you on not using coax cable to keep the hood open, those end up being far too unnaturally 'round' and inorganic.

Einstein

Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a bunch of the little bubble gum machine thingys if you want a couple.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
I actually have a bunch of the little bubble gum machine thingys if you want a couple.

If you have a bunch, that would be awesome. I was just playing around with what I had on hand at my house. I'm still going to give the smaller set I made today a shot, at the very least to get the spacing figured out, and be able to see the soft parts together with the glowy eyes.

I've got the hood and robe assembled, just working on fraying the sleeves and hem. The shoes have all the scraps and trimmings from my sewing stuffed in them waiting to be glued together this week.

Last part I need to order is the bandoleers, and those are likely going to need to wait until February to place the orders for them...

Pictures coming within the next few days - I completely forgot to take any when I was still in my work area.
Jawa - Duk'ki

Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayjan Thek wrote:
Amalphiea wrote:

If you have a bunch, that would be awesome. I was just playing around with what I had on hand at my house. I'm still going to give the smaller set I made today a shot, at the very least to get the spacing figured out, and be able to see the soft parts together with the glowy eyes.

I've got the hood and robe assembled, just working on fraying the sleeves and hem. The shoes have all the scraps and trimmings from my sewing stuffed in them waiting to be glued together this week.

Last part I need to order is the bandoleers, and those are likely going to need to wait until February to place the orders for them...

Pictures coming within the next few days - I completely forgot to take any when I was still in my work area.

Even if you order them in Feb, start searching for them now. It can be hard to find good ones.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: