Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2ab1d9385bb30d55c4f1032f5ad04b2fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Circulating cooling Vest Find

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Circulating cooling Vest Find Reply with quote

Wanted to offer some new information for anybody looking for a vest.

I just bought and tried out a new vest from CompCooler. It is a CIRCULATING vest that comes in 2 styles. All in 1 which I have and one where vest and tank are 2 pieces (@ $50 more and has a slightly larger water/ice bag).

The all in one that I have is $199 on Amazon with free shipping (link below). This is the cheapest circulating vest you will find and first one I have seen under $600. It has been tested by myself in a wookiee and a friend in a full latex Ninja Turtle. It worked well for both of us. It is not much more than an ice pack vest at this price point and well worth it. I have seen it on a few other sites but not as cheap when you add shipping. It took about 6 days to get to me during the holiday period, so pretty quick shipping.

The water/ice pouch has an ice pack you fill and freeze. You drop that in and then fill the surrounding area with ice water. Close and then you are set as long as you charged the pump battery.

Instead of leaving it on, you should turn it on as needed to cool down then turn off. Keeps water cold for hours. I wore mine for the Last Jedi troop and it was still cold 4 hours later. Not as cold as the start, but still cold and my ice pack was not fully frozen when I started (my fault, I forgot to freeze it overnight). Motor is quiet also.

Downside... if wearing with shoulder pads you may need to find a way to make them work together. It can give you a little bit of a hunchback.

If interested here is where I purchased mine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q1QSCR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. This is the first one I've seen that is self contained. The others all set to require an external ice chest to attach to.
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh now that's cool. How long does it stay cool for you?
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really awesome, Dev! I second Mark's query and add a question: how cool does it get? The Phase change I have has a lowest temp of 54 degrees, which has never quite been cool enough for me. Always wanted to try this style.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I dropped off the face of the rebel earth for a bit.

The cooling vest will last quite a while if you don't run it all the time, but turn it on and off as needed. I ran it this weekend under my Ninja Turtle suit and left it on all the time 1) because I needed it and 2) to test time it would work. The battery finally died after I think it was maybe 3 hours give or take of non-stop running and a full charge at the start.

It has a hard container that fits into a pouch for water. I fill that with ice water since I forgot to freeze it (again!) and then pack ice and water in the pouch before securing it. It is easily 2x+ colder than any ice pack vest I have used. The ice water from the cooler I had drinks in with ice and water in the pouch was perfect. The vest will not make the water colder, but it keeps it cold pretty well since it is in an insulated pouch on the back.

The first day in my ninja turtle the ice and water started to not make a difference about 4-5 hours into the event just because at that point it had warmed up.

Sunday I wore it till my battery died than I changed back to ice pack vest. I felt like I had no cooling on at all. It really made that much difference to me.

Granted my ninja turtle is all latex and wookiee is not as hot, so I have never had the urge to run it full time in the wookiee. I really recommend this vest, especially after using it this weekend and testing it out on accident.

I LOVE this vest!
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Gigglesdatrooper (Jason Widger)
Utapau Base CO
Utapau Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't ship to Thailand damnit. How heavy is it with no water or ice in it???
Tatooinetako ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one also for my wookie. Expensive but well worth it. There are other less expensive options. You can find vests which hold ice packs on eBay.
Tatooinetako ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigglesdatrooper wrote:
They don't ship to Thailand damnit. How heavy is it with no water or ice in it???

I think the vest is heavier than the empty bag. It’s basically a backpack with a small water pump. The vest has tubing in it that circulates the ice water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: