Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9f63de206abeb68aff8adf6b5dcd37c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Female DS Luke having trouble with fit on waist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sister Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Female DS Luke having trouble with fit on waist Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm working on a DS Luke costume. I am also female, and I was hoping for some advice/clarification about how to balance meeting Rebel Legion standards with making a costume that actually fits. Just for clarity's sake, I'm not talking about exaggerating or feminizing any features, and I am taking steps to look as male and Luke-like as possible (wig, masculine "make-up," men's shoes, etc.). But the DS Luke costume is relatively form-fitting, and I'd like some advice on how to help it fit me as it fits Luke.

My main issue is the waist of the shirt. The plan is to modify the pattern for a button-up shirt, but most men's button-up shirts are boxy and billowy around my waist. Would it be acceptable to add a slight taper or subtle darting in order for the shirt to fit without billowing? Or is it preferable to have 2-4 inches of extra bagginess around the middle? I feel like the former would make the costume fit better and therefore look better/more realistic when I'm wearing it, while the latter would look better/more authentic on the hanger, but not on me. Does that make sense?

I know there are other female Lukes here, so I was hoping they could tell me how they handled this issue, if it came up. Judges, do you have any advice?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. Smile

Definitely fit it to you. Several inches of loose hanging fabric will look out of place and weird.
You can play around with the fit a little so it's tighter/looser in some places, but you are right that this is a very fitted costume.
If you plan to use a binder, then make sure to get that first and then take your measurements with it on. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Sister Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the advice! From what I've read on the forums I know that seam placement is important, and was worried that the judges would disqualify extra darting if it didn't appear on the original garment.

And thanks for the tip on the binder. I haven't decided if I'm going to use one yet, but I will keep that in mind while measuring. It's a WIP, but in the end, how masculine/lookalike I try to play it is likely going to depend on whether I can actually find the right wig!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Smile I know many women who do crossplay use binders to get a more masculine look, but it's not required.
Good luck on finding a wig you like.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: