Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e55040984dcc369a7e4c0932d58eec97Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala's Red Throne Room/Invasion of Theed Gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to shape the sleeve, and then we'll be going fabric hunting, hopefully this weekend! Fingers crossed that we find good material and the fur we're looking for!

Also going to be using the die cutter to begin construction of my headdress and to cut out appliqués from fabric for the embroidery pieces on the tabard!
Discord: Nobody_XIV #3868
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent progress. Very Happy Are you going to add the second layer of sleeves to the main gown or do you have something else in mind? (I've never understood why a Queen needs three layers of sleeves, but apparently she does). Rolling Eyes

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we all knew that Naboo royalty was super extra?! 3 sleeves... light up eggs... what is the poooiinnnntttt! Laughing
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced it's really cold in Theed (but probably not the Lake Country?) and all of those extra sleeves are there so that she doesn't freeze her royal arms off.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone knows if you're royalty you've gotta have it all xD Even if it's 3 sleeves! Razz

I apologize for the late reply, work and things, per the usual. I figured the circumference of the bottom of the dress, and have constructed a rough 'pattern' for the tabard to compare length and that sort of thing, and I will be getting flexible conduit 'tubing' to make the ring in the bottom of the dress so we can get an idea of where things will hang and attach. I am currently in the process of drawing up the shape we need for the sleeve, and then making the mandarin collar to attach at the neck of the dress.

As for the layered sleeves, I think we're going to make a half-sleeve that slides over the first (tightest fitting) sleeve, and adjust it as needed for the right shape and 'fluff'.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that. Smile

And yes, Theed must be colder than it looks considering how much (heavy) layers the Queen wears. Or she must have a cooling system underneath. Razz

Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, been a little while since I last updated, so here is where we are currently:

We got the conduit tubing, and it works great! It's firm enough and heavy enough to give the right shape and hold, but light enough and flexible enough to not be a problem lifting or carrying around. (I didn't want to show my face xD)

I made a mock-up tabard, so I can check length of where it will hang vs. the 'orbs'. Pinned the paper version I printed out on top to make sure it is centered/follows the shape right. Also, i found a mold that will work for my orbs!

I'm currently working on the underskirt, which will be constructed rather differently from a hoopskirt! I'll update on that as it's made! Then it's on to the collar (the big thing xD) and hopefully fabric shopping in the very near future!

I have been working on editing the embroidery designs on a software program on my Mom's computer that links up with her die cutter machine. I aim to cut the symbols out of fabric for the 'appliqués' used under the gold embroidery.

https://i.imgur.com/wYjURtYr.jpg
(What I started with)

https://i.imgur.com/eEDrnzir.jpg
(Top of tabard after clean-up in software)

https://i.imgur.com/1Rc7FsHr.jpg
(The hidden symbol under the top part of the tabard)

And I found shoes that work awesomely with this costume! They may not be red, but they won't be seen from under the dress o-o

Last edited by Rialynx (Darcy Renich) on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your shape looks amazing! You're making really great progress. I really like what you did with the embroidery and scaling it that way, too.

Just wanted to add - you're right about the shoes not being seen, but you might want to make sure those shoes are comfortable... like reeaallllyyy comfortable. When I wore Red Invasion at SWCO I was so thankful for the sneakers I wore, especially since I'm flatfooted. The fact that you can hardly move your head in the headdress is enough to worry about, lol!

Can't wait to see more progress! You're doing a wonderful job x
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shape indeed !
Are you going to embroider all the golden front details ?
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embroidery work? Yes, I think that was the idea, after we get the fabric appliques made. Mom said she had an idea on how we could do such an intricate design without it taking very long.

It's been a while since I posted, so here is a tiny update! I found a Simplicity Underskirt pattern that will work wonderfully, and fabric-wrapped boning to help with structure.

My mold came!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorah! I guess we will soon see 'eggs' for this dress then. Smile

Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaaasss this is my dream dress. Can't wait to see it come together!!

"I dislike smiling. It contorts the face."
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yes, this is my dream build too! Yes, eggs!! As soon as I can find a good resin kit and some enamel coloring ^^ I'll post them up.

The underskirt pattern I found has 3 pattern pieces. I'm dividing all three into thirds, so that we'll have nine major seams to provide shape and support for the dress!

Update on the sewing plan; I'm pitching in to buy my Mom a dual function sewing and embroidery machine for Mother's Day!! It's computer-compatible by USB so we can download/upload/transfer patterns to the machine! Here's hoping we can do the embroidery on the tabard with that!!

Also, my tax return/refund is coming! Know what that means..? Fabric hunting!! Very Happy So excited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: