Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=be11a9a983ef185ebc5fb22a4d076932Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senatorial Leia Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benolyn Solo (Bethany Nolin)
D'Qar Outpost XO
D'Qar Outpost XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Senatorial Leia Build Thread Reply with quote

Time to get cracking on this one, would like to be done and approved by end of April for Supanova Melbourne, but we'll see.

I currently have 8 yards of white jet set from Joann's I sent my incredibly awesome mom to grab for me in the US (I moved to Australia a few years ago and am desperately missing Joann's and Michael's!).

Going out leather shopping tomorrow, using this pattern as a base and hoping the 95cm waist is close enough to mine! If not it will just need a cm or two added and can adjust the plates as necessary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o6JIEYFp2vRw2_yKvfbpe2TplC7Cc9md/view

Boots from Amazon on the way: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBUPGLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just need to remove buckles

I also have a nude coloured leotard on the way as someone has a few too many tattoos Wink https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NZNGIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but I"m still not sure what makeup i'm going to use to cover the ones on my hands and neck, if anyone has any suggestions go for it! I know there's a lot of products out there, all with mixed reviews!

I'm not sure what i'm doing with my hair yet, my hair is quite long and unsure if I want to add in kanekalon braiding hair to my existing hair and using temporary hair colour, or try to shove everything under a wig. I think the wig will be easier for me to style as I am HOPELESS at styling hair to begin with but don't reallllllly wanna wear a wig....hmmmmm......

"I'm on it!"

Knights of the Solar Storm

Drop Bear 7, Drop Bear Squadron
Patchouli 72, Rouge Squadron
Standing by...
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're off to a good start with materials. I have those same boots, and they work pretty well. The bottom straps are easy to remove, but when you take the top ones off, the top of the boot gaps. For the moment, I've just taped it shut with masking tape from the inside, but I'm trying to work on a more permanent solution.

I will say, I love using a natural hairline for Leia over a wig. For one, wigs get super heavy. There are a number of easy, temporary products that blond Leia's use. I know of a temporary brown conditioner as well as a spray-on temporary dye, though I'm not sure what you'll be able to get locally. Usually sprays don't ship internationally.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
D'Qar Outpost XO
D'Qar Outpost XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! And thanks for the heads up about the boot straps Smile

I managed to score 5 boxes of 8-day rinse out hair colour for like $2.50 each so hopefully those work! I guess I should get dyeing and figure out what colour braiding hair I should order!

"I'm on it!"

Standing by...
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
D'Qar Outpost XO
D'Qar Outpost XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, it's been a while since I've updated but here's my progress so far!

Hair:
Using Kanekalon smooth seal jumbo braids in cocoa, I've gotten pretty close to my natural hair colour so feel pretty happy about that. I'm using one braid per bun plus my natural hair. Note, this is the first and only time I've put my hair in buns so they're a bit wonky Wink

[/url]

Belt:
The belt is white leather sourced locally (and was conveninetly already painted!). I used the pattern from the Bun Squad Facebook group and found that the belt is a bit too wide for the plate size, I have yet to cut it down but is my plan for next week, along with painting the plates and basically finishing the whole thing on Good Friday. Plates are 0.5 mm aluminium sheet (with 29mm self covering buttons for the centre bits)

Tattoos:
Kryolan Dermacolour for the win! I was in Melbourne in February and was able to go the Kryolan store to get colour matched (note, there is usually a big green frog tattoo on my hand!!!)

Dress:
Only picture I have of the dress, when I was about to cut it out (scary!) based on a mockup I made from an old sheet. The lining and the outer dress have been sewn together at the sleeves, hoping to do the collar and hood in the beginning of April while I'm on Easter break from school.

"I'm on it!"

Standing by...
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, you will probably be able to trim your belt a little to have the edges of the white faux leather closer to the plates.

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
D'Qar Outpost XO
D'Qar Outpost XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my plan, about 5 mm needs to be removed from the top except for the top centre of the belt where I think maybe about 8-10 mm should be taken out to hopefully make that top centre curve a bit more prominent (if that makes sense!). And I might try to round out the bottom centre point as well.

"I'm on it!"

Standing by...
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're off to a great start from what I can see. Smile The basic shape of the belt looks good.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
D'Qar Outpost XO
D'Qar Outpost XO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt finished! I cut down the leather so it fit the plates better, spray painted the plates and self covering buttons with Rustoleum 2x ultracover in metallic aluminum, epoxied the buttons to the plates and riveted them to the belt.

Goal is to finish the dress in a few days, and then submit for approval as soon as my tattoo concealer comes in from the states.

"I'm on it!"

Standing by...
D'Qar Outpost XO
D'Qar Outpost XO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tattoo concealer has finally arrived in the mail, but even more exciting is that my dress is nearly finished!!! I just need to add elastic to the waist and hem the bottom, and iron. Hoping to submit this weekend if not before Smile

"I'm on it!"

Standing by...
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Smile Your belt is looking really nice.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: