Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=38e0bd1e63c82c84f30b6d1abe72514fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tuscan WIP much questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhseverson60 ()
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Tuscan WIP much questions Reply with quote

Starting the hubbys tuscan build and my first question is the out robe seams. I figures out how to do the arm openings, however my question is for the neck and front opening. there are no hems but it looks finished and not damaged. Was thinking thread lock? Working my way out then in with this one. Thanks for the help!
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhseverson60 wrote:
Starting the hubbys tuscan build and my first question is the out robe seams. I figures out how to do the arm openings, however my question is for the neck and front opening. there are no hems but it looks finished and not damaged. Was thinking thread lock? Working my way out then in with this one. Thanks for the help!

I used two pieces of monks cloth (since my arms breadth is wider then a single piece). Each about four-yards long so it will go up and over my arms with no seam there. I measured from the nape of my neck to the floor, and sewed the two pieces (selvage edges) together. Reinforced the neck area so it wouldn't split open back down.

So the selvage edges are my front opening edges.

I put it on and measured the "sleeve" length with my arms down at my sides (your arms are longer then if stretched out). Then I cut my side seams to length. Those seams will not fray much once sewn together, up to the arm opening. I ran a zigzag stich about half an inch from the edge around the arm opening so it wouldn't fray beyond a certain point.

I then measured my robe length with my arms out, till it was just touching the floor. After cutting that, I ran a zig-zag stitch about two inches from the hem and pulled out the weft to about that point so the edge could get fuzzy on it's own over time.

Note that any measuring, sewing and cutting is done after the fabric has been dyed and shocked, since monks cloth can shrink up to 25% during that process.

501st: ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Rebel: RT, RS, JD, WH, RP, JD, RT, CL, RT, RS, RT, WH, JD, RT, RT
Apollo Base - Columbus, Ohio
dhseverson60 ()
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks! I am going to upload a few pics of what I have so far. He is 6’2. I have not sewn anything yet but this is the basic look so far. This is a weave fabric I found that looks a lot like the reference photo on the CRL.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100708258@N08/shares/v9vXiD
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this canvas? It should have a course texture like monks cloth. Can you take a close up pic?

501st: ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Rebel: RT, RS, JD, WH, RP, JD, RT, CL, RT, RS, RT, WH, JD, RT, RT
Apollo Base - Columbus, Ohio
dhseverson60 ()
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not canvas or minks cloth but a textured weave.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100708258@N08/shares/Uhg4RS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: