Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=767c723e896a8e111a95f41588d89aa5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cloud City Leia - WIP + questions (advice welcome!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EldawenEmileia ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Cloud City Leia - WIP + questions (advice welcome!) Reply with quote

So a while back, I had (with lots of help) made this costume, but came to question whether I would be able to finish it, and have it be accepted for entry to Rebel Legion. Came here to see what others had to say. That thread is here, but suffice to say, after the replies to the question, I came to the conclusion that I needed to start over.

Given this past history of mistakes, I want to take extra care to make sure I'm doing it right, this time. Advice and assessments, particularly from anyone who would be judging this costume, is very welcome.

So on that note, I first sample ordered swatches of fabric in the rust color, for the tunic and sheer lining of the cape:

Rust Stretch Silk Charmeuse (from Mood)

and

Rust Silk Wide Chiffon (also from Mood)

If these two fabrics work, I would be looking at ordering them online from Walmart and Etsy, respectively, as I think I have found the same thing there, for better prices - barring anyone waving their hands at me in caution for something maybe I don't know about. Smile

Once I received the samples, I photographed them in various lighting situations, then washed them, and photographed again in the same. Made photo composites for each lighting and wash state (as listed below), each photo patterned like so: Row 1 - fabric side one, view from above, view from angle two, view from angle three; Row 2 - fabric side two, views same as row 1; Row 3: fabric sides one and two, demonstrating drape (as best I can). (Confession: I did get lazy about flipping over the sheer swatch after a while; didn't seem to show any difference)

Pre-wash:
- Sunlight (also the only one I showed drape on the sheer)
- Shade (camera had trouble getting color right particularly in the shade)
- Fluorescent
- Warm lamp

Post-wash:
- Sunlight
- Shade
- Fluorescent
- Warm lamp

What say you? Yea? Nay? Shall I go ahead and order these?

Last edited by EldawenEmileia () on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That charmeuse is gorgeous. I might have to remake my pants and tunic out of that fabric!
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
EldawenEmileia ()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plushie wrote:
That charmeuse is gorgeous. I might have to remake my pants and tunic out of that fabric!

I appreciate the vote of confidence! Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut feeling says Yae. Smile Looks like a nice shade of red/rust.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
EldawenEmileia ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
My gut feeling says Yae. Smile Looks like a nice shade of red/rust.

Woot, two in favor!
EldawenEmileia ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so gonna leave that first question on rust/red fabric open for a few more days, just in case anyone else wants to chime in on it, but I'm going to go ahead with my next question I think I need to answer: The main patterns.

On the tunic and pants: Am I correct to think that the pattern that we used for the tunic and pants for my version 1 of the costume can be reused now? But with a couple of tweaks. Like, I know I need do cuffs on the pants instead of elastic, for sure. I also think the tunic might actually need to be slightly longer (maybe), and slightly more fitted (maybe), with the sleeves a bit more fitted as well (probably).

For reference, here are a few pics of me wearing it:
One
Two
Three

On the cloak:
The costume standard reads:
Quote:
The lining and outer fabric of the cloak should be pleated and sewn together with no top stitching. The lining can have side seams if necessary.

Does this mean that the off-white fabric should be all one piece, no seams? Or, am I not understanding what is meant by side seams? (This is entirely possible, even probable, and also this might be a good place to mention that my sewing knowledge and experience is about 95% how to hand sew ribbons and elastic on my pointe shoes.)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it the patterns should be pretty good, once you fit them more and get a cuff added to the pants.

Question 2: Yes, it does. Ideally the embroidered part of the cloak is all one big piece of fabric, but we do allow for side seams (three pieces of fabric sewn together) if that is necessary for someone. Seams in the lining should be easy to hide.

EldawenEmileia ()

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so this has been a rather slow build, but I'm back on the horse, making steps to continue! I have a status update and a question.

Status update:
Rust fabric purchased, as well as the Spoonflower pattern fabric for the cape. Found a tailor to help me the non-sewer with the sewing things, and we've begun putting it together! Just had my first fitting today, and I'm psyched. Smile

Question:
One of the next things I'll need is the belt. My tailor is limited on what she can help me with on that. I'm going to need to make at least the stiff part on my own (or to find someone else to help, but, if it be not hubris, I feel like I can at least manage that much). From a couple things I've seen, it seems like maybe EVA foam is my best option? Any input on material choice for that is welcome! Also, about how thick should that foam or whatever material be? I was browsing JoAnne's today where they had 2mm and 5mm thick options (and some thicker still, but that definitely looked too thick).
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you are still working on this. Smile Slow progress is still better than no progress.

Regarding the foam I'm afraid I'm no help as I've never worked with it. Thick enough to keep the shape, but not so thick as to get defined edges.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: