Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=293c44a855d1852cefdf3940067d01dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bodypaint Suggestions and advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Twi'leks and Togruta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueCosplayGrrl ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Bodypaint Suggestions and advice Reply with quote

Hey All! So I've never done bodypaint before and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as good brands, applications tips or any other useful advice on the matter. At the moment I'm working on Oola.

Thank you! ^^
darth_ana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most use alcohol body inks applied with an airbrush, brands like Reel Creations or Temptu. Alcohol don't smear the way water or oil based paints will. I've also used Mehron water based paints but I prefer alcohol.

Costumes: Shaak Ti, ANH Leia, Darth Talon, Juno Eclipse (501st, SL22031)
In progress: Battle Buddy child's armor conversion, Rebels Ahsoka, Cassus Fett for the hubs
RogueCosplayGrrl ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darth_ana wrote:
Most use alcohol body inks applied with an airbrush, brands like Reel Creations or Temptu. Alcohol don't smear the way water or oil based paints will. I've also used Mehron water based paints but I prefer alcohol.

Thank you!
Jaki ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ProAiir brand. It is a hybrid, it's sweatproof but will rub off a bit on clothes. It's also easy to remove, unlike alcohol paint.
jumping jehosaphat ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Late reply, but may be helpful to future readers.
I used liquid paint with an airbrush myself.
Iíve used a LOT of different brands. I used to love Ben Nyeís colours, but they stopped making it. Very vivid though. Flow was terrible, but it gave great results with even using a paintbrush.
Mehron was my least favourite. Itís super cheap, but smeared easily and sweated off. Came off on clothes and seats (from my legs).
Endura is a good alcohol based brand (Vibe is their water based) that Iíve liked in the past. Itís really smooth and smells pleasant. Itís really hard to remove though, even with 91% alcohol.
I am planning on using FAB (Silly Farms house brand) on my next character. Iíve painted my headtails already. Flow was ok, a little chunky, but no clogs. Itís supposed to be a hybrid as well, so Iím hoping for good staying power and easy removal. It also had a pleasant smell.
I highly, HIGHLY recommend sealing your paint with transparent makeup. I learned this way too late. It prevents stickiness, which is common in alcohol based paint. You do not want to paint your lekku and then have them stick together and peel the paint off (happened to me -_-). It also keeps your eyelids from sticking to your face XD. I use Flower translucent finishing powder. Just insure it is clear and not skin coloured! I have yet to seal water based paint, but Iíve heard it really helps longevity.
I use IPA 91% to remove it from my skin and lekku (when changing colours) for alcohol based paints. You will need lots of wash cloths. I buy a cheap bundle, use them, and toss them when done. I donít want to ruin that many of the hotels XD.
Check out Silly Farms for buying. They offer coupons if you join their mailing list for 10% off, which is why I use them, and their FAB brand is a good price. I think I got the best deal on Endura straight from their site (European Body Art).
Size wise-I usually use 4-5oz to get a good solid coat on my lekku alone. It is important to keep in mind how much you will need. The 12oz Endura size was PLENTY to do my lekku, legs, face, and arms. Iíd recommend buying at least 8oz min.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Twi'leks and Togruta All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: