Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=655b5d935f6da8c6c4705873e74416d8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

BroadSword's TLJ Poe Dameron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: BroadSword's TLJ Poe Dameron Reply with quote

Just got approved for my  TLJ Poe Dameron. Open to all constructive criticisms. 

Waxed Cotton Jacket by Magnoli Clothiers
Homemade Shirt
Ebay Pants with mulitple modifications
Homemade Belt and Holster
Modifed Nerf Poe Blaster
Po-Zu Boots

The only complaint I had about the Magnoli Jacket is that it doesn't have nearly enough wax out of the box to make it look leathery. I used Otter Wax: 
CaptainTightpantsCosplay ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BroadSword's TLJ Poe Dameron Reply with quote

Nice Job! With the extra coating of Otter Wax it looks dead on. I'm about to re-do my jacket in a heavier pre-waxed cotton, and I think I'll still need to wax-up to look SA.

BroadSword wrote:

Homemade Shirt
Modifed Nerf Poe Blaster
Po-Zu Boots

The only complaint I had about the Magnoli Jacket is that it doesn't have nearly enough wax out of the box to make it look leathery. I used Otter Wax: 
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Can't wait to get my new Poe jacket from Magnoli. Smile

Are your boots black instead of brown? That's the one thing that stands out to me.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BroadSword's TLJ Poe Dameron Reply with quote

[quote="CaptainTightpantsCosplay"]Nice Job! With the extra coating of Otter Wax it looks dead on. I'm about to re-do my jacket in a heavier pre-waxed cotton, and I think I'll still need to wax-up to look SA.

BroadSword wrote:

Homemade Shirt
Modifed Nerf Poe Blaster
Po-Zu Boots

Yes... it needs a lot of wax and really need to work it in with your hands.
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:

Are your boots black instead of brown? That's the one thing that stands out to me.

Yes... they are black. I've been wearing them around since I got them, but they are not nearly scuffed and dirty enough.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
kman wrote:

Yes... they are black. I've been wearing them around since I got them, but they are not nearly scuffed and dirty enough.

You're trying to turn black boots into the accurate brown? I'm not following you.

Looks fantastic overall, though. Do you have a build thread? I'm curious about the modifications made to your pants.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
BroadSword wrote:
kman wrote:

You're trying to turn black boots into the accurate brown? I'm not following you.

Looks fantastic overall, though. Do you have a build thread? I'm curious about the modifications made to your pants.

My boots are black. I know that is point of contention, but the standards call for black boots or brown boots dyed black. To some they look weathered black and others brown.

I didn't document on the pants, but this is what was done. I knew alterations would be required so I ordered extra material from the vendor.

Problem #1- The Pocket’s did not extend down far enough to be accurate and were not double top stitched

Solution- Using extra material, created new pockets with more accurate sizing and shape.

Problem #2- The pants are just straight leg pattern with no knee detail

Solution- Cut out the section of each pant leg that need the knee panel. Using extra material, created a total of 4 panels (2 per leg, 1 front and 1 back)
and sewed them in.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
My boots are black. I know that is point of contention, but the standards call for black boots or brown boots dyed black. To some they look weathered black and others brown.

I didn't document on the pants, but this is what was done. I knew alterations would be required so I ordered extra material from the vendor.

Problem #1- The Pocket’s did not extend down far enough to be accurate and were not double top stitched

Solution- Using extra material, created new pockets with more accurate sizing and shape.

Problem #2- The pants are just straight leg pattern with no knee detail

Solution- Cut out the section of each pant leg that need the knee panel. Using extra material, created a total of 4 panels (2 per leg, 1 front and 1 back)
and sewed them in.

Gotcha. And nicely done! Do you mind sharing the eBay vendor? I like the way you went about this. Very clever to get extra fabric that's the exact fabric used for the pants! Saves so much hassle trying to match it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot to answer this. I went with this vendor. Not particular reason, just wanted a basic set of pants. I knew I would have to make modifications and they were willing to send me extra material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Vol-8-Poe-Dameron-Man-Halloween-Cosplay-Costume-Comic-Con-Fancy-Dress/272847080034?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: BroadSword's TLJ Poe Dameron Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:

Any tips for applying the wax? I've tried it once before (on a different jacket) and it wasn't very successful. I'd love to know how you did it in as detailed an account as you're willing to provide.
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real trick to it. I just applied even heavy coats to it. You have to work it in by hand though. Rubbing it in with your thumbs and then up and down and side to side with your palms. It takes a about 5-6 coatings to get to to look this way. Magnoli has already made note to add more wax so it may take less for future production. Just really work it in with your hands.

I also watched this video: https://vimeo.com/54678282
Mawee ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
There's no real trick to it. I just applied even heavy coats to it. You have to work it in by hand though. Rubbing it in with your thumbs and then up and down and side to side with your palms. It takes a about 5-6 coatings to get to to look this way. Magnoli has already made note to add more wax so it may take less for future production. Just really work it in with your hands.

I also watched this video: https://vimeo.com/54678282

What is your height and what size jacket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: