Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5c02102adc257648e68959e9695b96cdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Helmet Painting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dance Commander (Andrew)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Helmet Painting Reply with quote

I am looking for some advise for painting my helmet. My original plan was to mask off the helmet and spray, but I have been unable to find the paint I was hoping for; I was looking for matte colours but I can only find gloss.

So, I have 2 questions:
1) Will gloss paint work? Will I still get a good effect when I weather it?
2) Has anyone had any success hand painting? I know I can find plenty of matte acrylics.
pandatrooper ()
Falcon Base XO
Falcon Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mask it off. Spray it the color you want, then clear coat with satin clear.

Weather it using acrylics.

This is my gloss painted helmet
https://youtu.be/lqpDPORysro

Weathering
https://youtu.be/OIv50-vOalA
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Pandatrooper said. If you use a flat/matte clear coat it'll dull out the gloss of the paint. Weathering it will dull it even more.

I always paint my helmets by hand. The base layer is spray paint (usually Blossom White, I just tend to like that as a base color), and then all of the other painting is done by hand with acrylics, and with water-slide decals. I actually usually give my helmets a few coats of semi-gloss clear coat after I'm done painting them and before weathering, and then use flat clear coat with weathering. The semi-gloss isn't really needed, it's just my preference.

When it comes to weathering I mostly use acrylic washes, though I also use flat black spray paint in tiny bursts over soapy water if I want to add any scorch marks.

FYI, satin clear coat will still have a slight shine to it, flat/matte has no shine. Satin can work pretty well, though, depending on the look you want. When it comes to gloss the list goes from shiniest to dullest...

Gloss
Semi-Gloss
Satin
Flat/Matte

Also, for the record, if there are any parts that you might happen to want shiny, you can get bottles of gloss lacquer to paint over acrylics. They'll be in the acrylic paint aisle. I always keep on hand a bottle of gloss and matte, and semi-gloss the rare times that I can find it.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Pilot Mentor - Alpha Base Member

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dance Commander (Andrew)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info!
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My entire helmet is Matt Clear Coated and it looks realistic. You've seen it.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Outlaw10 (Jeff Harris)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spray a Matte color over a Gloss color. Odds are the paint will crack. I always use Matte, then clear gloss coat it. After that, weather with acrylics. It gives the look like that there is a shiny helmet underneath that layer of dirt.

Outlaw10 by Birgle38, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: