Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=908a71f9505b9c2c9c2b1693505d552eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Qi'ra Black Dress... Who else is making?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ordered from Etsy the medallion necklace and the medallion for the back of the belt. Was just going to do a strip of patent leather and some sort of gold strand (have not landed on it yet!).
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
I've been working on putting this together! I actually found a perfect pattern for this costume. The Simplicity 8596 pattern is perfect for this dress. It has all the matching seams and the only change you need is to add the front slit. Found great fabric at JoAnn's that was on sale and plan on working on the mock up today. Have you figured out how you will be doing the belt?

The pattern is perfect! Which fabric sis you choose? See my next post about necklace and belt.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaomiSonfield wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
I've been working on putting this together! I actually found a perfect pattern for this costume. The Simplicity 8596 pattern is perfect for this dress. It has all the matching seams and the only change you need is to add the front slit. Found great fabric at JoAnn's that was on sale and plan on working on the mock up today. Have you figured out how you will be doing the belt?

The pattern is perfect! Which fabric sis you choose? See my next post about necklace and belt.

I bought a poly satin for both outer material and inner lining. It was on sale at JoAnn's. LOL

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, ERT, Jedi, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Cookiedala ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also working on Qi'ra's black dress. I posted a few pictures of my build on the facebook group Smile
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiedala wrote:
I'm also working on Qi'ra's black dress. I posted a few pictures of my build on the facebook group Smile

Which group?
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiedala wrote:

Tried to join, was denied entry (Mother of Falcons).
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiedala wrote:

Could you post pics here? THANKS!!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaomiSonfield wrote:
Cookiedala wrote:

Not sure why you would be denied. Perhaps try submitting again?

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, ERT, Jedi, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
NaomiSonfield wrote:
Cookiedala wrote:

Not sure why you would be denied. Perhaps try submitting again?

Mother of Falcons group? Was told it was a social group, guess not a build group.
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Small step Reply with quote

WiliQueen (Valerie Meachum)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really wasn't going to do it, and then I saw the full-length shot with the ankle-strap pumps, which I already had. Five days later, here I am. :-}

Wish I'd looked here first, as I made the bodice up to the neck in back. (Old -- i.e. pre-internet -- habits rear their heads when I get a bee in my bonnet to do something in a hurry, and I tend to go off half-cocked without checking what others are doing...) I've seen something else about the matching pendant in back -- is there a particular trailer or other shot that we're getting that from?

Looking at the sheen, and not wanting to get too spendy when it'll probably all need tweaked or remade once we see the movie, I went with a cotton stretch sateen (I think 2% spandex). The skirt lining is a gold poly satin I had in my stash. (It's also the source of all the little fiber bits you might see in the photo of th dress -- I need to go at it with a lint roller again!)

Since I just decided impulsively last Thursday to do it, it was too late to get the amazing-looking Etsy necklace in time, so I improvised. Plastic signs from the hardware store are my go-to for flat plastic pieces that need to be at least mostly rigid; this particular one was a yellow "No Trespassing" sign (or rather what was left over from one after I made a new sash brooch for my Phoenix costume last year). It quickly became clear that I wasn't going to get the finish I wanted from any paint, so I sprang for a roll of Cricut adhesive in a "foil" gold.

The strips are cut from a roll of urethane rubber picked up at American Science & Surplus; like many things you get there, I have no idea what its intended purpose is. :-D

The belt is made from some pleather I had on hand, but I'm not super keen on how it looks, so I'll probably try to thrift a better basic black patent belt sometime in the next week and add the Cricut stripe to it.

Other that that, though, I just need to decide between the ideas I have for attaching the necklace straps to the dress, and I'm ready to go!

At least until it's time to redo everything. X-D I already wish I'd given more width to the shoulder/narrowed the neckline by an inch or so, but with the short time frame I gambled on skipping the mockup, so really I'm lucky it looks as close as it does. I used New Look 6723 for the bodice and a skirt pattern I've had since the early 90s, which is straight and has the seam going down to the slit. (Though I bashed it a bit to remove the facing around the slit since I was fully lining the skirt, and lengthened it since it was meant to be mid-calf.)

Oh! And for those like me who don't have enough hair, I got this wig and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FP8XKF

It's Prime eligible, so you can get it in plenty of time, but as I type this it lists only 3 left in stock.

Nar Shaddaa Base: Rey ~ Mara Jade ~ Shalla Varee KJO
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Small step Reply with quote

NaomiSonfield wrote:
there is a German trailer. Shows the back. I will post it. There is a 2nd medallion in back of the belt. We just sewed up as bodice and it is super small. We have to wait for the plus size pattern(size 14) we did a 12 and it looks like it would fit a dress size 2. We used the simplicity pattern Leiaaurora suggested. It looks about perfect.
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiliQueen (Valerie Meachum)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thiank you! I think I might be able to tweak the back of my bodice in time...

Nar Shaddaa Base: Rey ~ Mara Jade ~ Shalla Varee KJO
NaomiSonfield ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: