Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=741cd2f223dd718e79c640659c95d003Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

OT X Wing Pilot Costume Revisions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC Standard Revision Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: OT X Wing Pilot Costume Revisions Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I am Gary Howe, XO for RLSC. I am starting a proposal thread here for OT X Wing Costume. As I go through the current standards, I will update this thread. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to add them here. I will up date my first post here with any proposed changes.

IF anyone has other questions about X Wing, here is a great place to ask.

www.facebook.com/pilotbay369
Andylah ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any measurements that the costume judges reference should be laid out - I was hit for sleeve length, as well as distance the com pad stuck out the glove

Where the cheat box hose actually goes

Details on the extra belt we can/ can’t wear

Coming from a 501st background I struggled with my pilot as a lot wasn’t defined, I had an off the shelf jumpsuit that needed tailoring to bring the shoulders up so the dosimeter pockets were at a certain place above the elbow? As well as the stuff above - no where is that mentioned....

This needs pictures as well, it shouldn’t be hard to have pictures that match the words for this costume given how many there are of us....
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where a single measurement falls down. People are different sizes so there has to be tolerance to allow a proportional variation in offsets and placements.
If a costume component is mandated then it should be properly illustrated and the standard composed in such a way it can be updated to allow alternative references to be adopted.
The RL costume submission allows anyone to submit without anyone else giving feedback so it's down to how a standard is interpreted before it hits a judge. If a costume requires something that's not documented a submission may be completely unaware of this and it's up one of the judges to raise that.
Khazara (Todd Felton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots - i recalll there is one point as Luke is climbing into his cockpit, we can just barely see there is a strap on the top of his jack boot. We of course are fairly certain he same boots were used for TIE pilots, which have this visible strap. But the X Wing Pilot costume standard specifically disallows any visible strap.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andylah wrote:
Any measurements that the costume judges reference should be laid out - I was hit for sleeve length, as well as distance the com pad stuck out the glove

Where the cheat box hose actually goes

Details on the extra belt we can/ can’t wear

Coming from a 501st background I struggled with my pilot as a lot wasn’t defined, I had an off the shelf jumpsuit that needed tailoring to bring the shoulders up so the dosimeter pockets were at a certain place above the elbow? As well as the stuff above - no where is that mentioned....

This needs pictures as well, it shouldn’t be hard to have pictures that match the words for this costume given how many there are of us....

I agree with everything you have said here. It is hard to give specific measurements on a lot of stuff, everyone is different sizes and heights, but general sizing is most important.

Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigFatCat wrote:
This is where a single measurement falls down. People are different sizes so there has to be tolerance to allow a proportional variation in offsets and placements.
If a costume component is mandated then it should be properly illustrated and the standard composed in such a way it can be updated to allow alternative references to be adopted.
The RL costume submission allows anyone to submit without anyone else giving feedback so it's down to how a standard is interpreted before it hits a judge. If a costume requires something that's not documented a submission may be completely unaware of this and it's up one of the judges to raise that.

Looking to tighten up issues such as these in particular.

Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khazara wrote:
Boots - i recalll there is one point as Luke is climbing into his cockpit, we can just barely see there is a strap on the top of his jack boot. We of course are fairly certain he same boots were used for TIE pilots, which have this visible strap. But the X Wing Pilot costume standard specifically disallows any visible strap.

Some pics pilots are pretty clearly wearing knee high riding boots, where others may be wearing Engineer, or "TIE" boots. I have heard "Blouse the buckle" on the calf high boots, and that becomes pretty frustrating for an applicant. You can blouse it for pictures, but the rest of the time you are walking around, the buckle will be showing.

This is all good. This is the stuff we want to hear from people. Keep it coming everyone!!!

JEDICHRIST (DELONG.CHRISTOPHE)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, the major adjustments that we make concern the size of the combination and the positioning of the pockets and the compad.

for the boots the CRL foresees that we can leave the buckles of the top of the boot, but the member must make blouse the combination on

another point: the number of rolls of the vest, some members lack but the overall appearance is good, others have a lot more and it causes imbalance.
XO RLFB 2011-2014
MO RLFB 2010-2011
member of Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order detachment
member of Rebel Legion Starfighter Command Detachment
Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khazara wrote:

Some pics pilots are pretty clearly wearing knee high riding boots, where others may be wearing Engineer, or "TIE" boots. I have heard "Blouse the buckle" on the calf high boots, and that becomes pretty frustrating for an applicant. You can blouse it for pictures, but the rest of the time you are walking around, the buckle will be showing.

This is all good. This is the stuff we want to hear from people. Keep it coming everyone!!!

Blackthorpe ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Com pad pocket:
-Clarify that it needs to be partially covered by the gloves and by how much.

-More details on the layout/colors would be helpful.

Flak vest:
-Clarify how much space there needs to be at the bottom, below the ribs. I bought mine from a recommended seller, but still had to shorten the fabric. Here is a "before" image: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJEIZmy0YxYQdsMNyCIO_jnCAk6P9inz0pAVJs

-I was confused by the need for the vest to start right at the collar of the flight suit. It would have required more modifications, which I would have done, but I was told that this is only for Rogue One X-Wing pilots, but the OT pilots had longer straps. Some clarification on this would be good.

Accessories:
-What extra accessories are allowed? Blasters? Tools?

-Is it allowable to wear a blaster holster? Should that belt replace the web belt, or be in addition to it?

-I have seen some pilots with squadron patches. Should those be addressed in the standard somehow?

Most importantly: PICTURES! I know this is where the standards are going, and it will be a huge help to those of us who are more visual learners.

The boards were a great help in getting ready to submit my pilot costume, but a new applicant shouldn't need to go there to get the basic details of what is expected, and that is how it is now. (Don't get me wrong, everyone should go to the forums for advice, but that should not be the place to hear that the compad pocket needs to be partially covered by the glove.) I am definitely glad to see this being overhauled, thank you!
Arlekan_Antilles ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that creating measurement standards are possible if you are specific about WHAT is measured and from WHERE in such a manner as to create the standard "look". For example, if you state, "the top edge of the compad must extend 1' from the top edge of the gauntlet" that provides the look and allows different arm lengths. Same with the docimiter pocket. instead of measuring up from the elbow or down from the shoulder seam, state "the top of the docimeter pocket should start at 75% of the measurement of your arm from shoulder point x to elbow point y. This, too also allows for any size arm.

Practically all costuming pieces could be measured out in these ways.

Obviously I am just throwing out numbers and am not suggesting what I have just said to be accurate in any way, just trying to show examples.
Hope this helps.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is a little bit off of the exact subject, sort of, but I've thought for some time now that helmets should be required for face characters. I mean, the helmet is the most recognizable part of a face character seeing as, otherwise, they wear the exact same outfit as every generic pilot. Currently anyone could submit as, for example, Luke Skywalker as long as they have shorter hair and don't have a beard or mustache. So what exactly makes that costumer "Luke Skywalker"? That's fine for generic pilots but it seems like face characters should be a little... more.

Helmets could still remain optional for generic pilots, of course, but for face characters it seems like they should be required...

But perhaps that's a different topic altogether.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree for face character pilots the helmet is the most identifiable part of the costume, ive not cleared any that haven't had their helmet but id like to see that a accurate helmet is encouraged.
Id also like to see that in the luke red 5 standards it says the helmet is hand painted - i have no issue with the black series helmet except theres some issues with the positioning of the rebel birds and it looks too mass manufactured.

As a judge presentation is the key,
we're constantly asking applicants to lower the height of their chest box, centre buckles. on the back and ensure that there isn't an abundance of excess strapping flapping about.

A visual guide with a perfect front and back view would be good (which we have already) but if it was written into the standards to please refer to example A for positioning that would be great.

the issue with the pockets in particular the commpad is that the pocket on several manufactures is too high, flightsuits that have bene auctioned off show the commpad closer to the cuff.
alot of the times pockets code cylinder pockets don't need to be raised but the commpad needs to be lowered.
This then creates an issue where some gloves aren't flared enough - leather next gloves in the UK are good example.

The issue i have with the boots is are previously mentioned, the buckles need to be covered up, many pilots wear their TIE pilot boots where are clearable with the buckles, some members have flatly refused to by a second pair of boots due to the additional cost when tie pilot boots seem to be virtually the same.
I would like us to have a hard stance one way or another on the boots.

We've also identified the correct buckle on the back the flightsuits which is a roko buckle and i'd like to see that mentioned in the chestbox description as an option.

Also i think reclassifying that modern seat belt material isn't acceptable as the correct webbing material has stitching running vertically not horizontally.
We think we've finally identified the original seat belt material here in the UK as (ironically) Mini Cooper seatbelt webbing from 1970-1976 circa.
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge
XWingKC (Joy Hargraves)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerrick Sunrunner wrote:

The issue i have with the boots is are previously mentioned, the buckles need to be covered up, many pilots wear their TIE pilot boots where are clearable with the buckles, some members have flatly refused to by a second pair of boots due to the additional cost when tie pilot boots seem to be virtually the same. I would like us to have a hard stance one way or another on the boots.

I also would love a hard stand on boots. It's not difficult to cut off buckles, and I don't understand why some want to keep them. But at any rate, buckles or not, the height is what bothers me most. Over the calf/knee high boots are not what the pilots wear. I do wear the same pair for my X Wing and TIE. But mine are engineer 11 inch boots with both sets of buckles cut off. But yes, agree hard stand on boots.
Approved: Jedi Archivist, Human X Wing Pilot, Twi'lek X Wing Pilot
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a page in the RL forum to generate interest in creating visual aides for the various pilot jump suits.

The jump suits will become vector images so there can more accurate measuring when the flight suits are preparing for fabrication and sewing.

Below is the proposal.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105822
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC Standard Revision Proposals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: