Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cf09898076287d8c51b27a9d05840d51Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Qi'ra Jacket Standard Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Qi'ra Jacket Standard Discussion Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
Qi'ra Jacket with Optionals Discussion

JACKET:
*The jacket ends at the costumers ribcage and is eggshell or off-white in color and made from microsuede or suede.
*There is a large collar that has an inset of fur that resembles black or dark brown sheep skin.
*A secondary collar that is top stitched 4 times with thread that is the same color.
*Two clips are attached to the section between the base collar and the stitching. The clip has a metal top bar
*The jacket is hooked on the left of breast with 4 black hooks with bars.
*There is a small rectangular greeble on the costumers bottom right edge of the jacket. The greeble is black with inlay and squares and features a single red square on the left.
*There is a black gusset under both armpits.
*There are knife pleats on the inside of both sleeves.
*There is dark brown or black piping running down the outside edge of the sleeve.
* At the back there are two princess seams.
*There is a border on the jacket that is approximately 1.5' tall.

OPTIONAL:
*the sleeves are raglan style with a shoulder seam and wrap around stitching
like a normal sleeve.
*The stitching on the collar is double top stitched.
*The trim on the inside edge of the jacket is two rubber strips.

SHIRT:
*Simple V neck shirt made from a satin or peachskin like fabric.

SKIRT:

*Skirt is made from leather or leather like material.
*The skirt is high waist with a wrapping style design and is knee length.
*The skirt opening is located near the costumers mid section.

Optional:
*Double stitched side seams.
*There is no top stitching on front edge or bottom.
*There is a single seam at the back center.

There are some things that are listed as optional that perhaps shouldn't be? For example, the "trim/piping" on the back princess seams as well as under the sleeve are definitely there and can be seen in all shots of the jacket. If we are being super specific on other costumes ie;Jyn and the details on her vest etc, why wouldn't we be that clear for this costume as well?

The skirt has very specific stitching and should be included and not optional. Otherwise anyone could pick up a leather wrap skirt and be set.

The shirt (if it is indeed the same shirt) has flutter sleeves and is a somewhat fitted V neck. The sleeves aren't fitted to her arms so that should be included IMO.

Also, there are 2 jackets currently on display. One with the hooks and one without. Perhaps we can put the hook closures as optional? There were probably several jackets made for the film and being able to wear it open or closed depending on the hooks may appeal to some people. I know I'd prefer it on days when it is really warm in California.

I'm still not convinced on the eggshell white. To me, that is TOO light of a color. Her jacket isn't that light. When compared to the Corellia jacket, this is definitely more of a cream/tan/taupe color than white.

Can we also update the blaster name? I listed it above and it is now easily accessible as Nerf has made a toy version and there are many 3D prints now available online. I agree it should still be optional but at least we have a name for it now. Very Happy

In hindsight, I'm thinking this costume may eventually be merged with her outfit during the Enfys Nest scene as it's pretty much identical except for the pants/skirt switch.

The color chart is a great idea. If a costumer is confused on which color to use, she/he can refer to the chart and as long as the color is in the range shown, it would meet approval.

Just noticing more things as I fine tune mine. Sorry if I am being too specific! Embarassed

In progress/planning: Jawa, Qi'Ra, SW 7 Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional observations on this costume and standard draft.

The jacket tubing goes all the way down into the jacket and down to the end. The pleats are roughly 1/2 inch in size. I had thought they were bigger but they are smaller.
Here is a comparison pic against a penny. It was hard to take with the glass being in the way and on an Iphone but you get the idea.

The pants also appear to have an elastic waistband. There is no other visible closure that you can see from back/side/front angles at all. I tried to zoom in as much as possible to get a clear shot of what I am referring to.

Skirt is EXTREMELY high waisted. It sits just under her bust line.

Black shirt worn under the jacket has bell/flutter sleeves (not sure of terminology for exact type). Shirt has a keyhole back that extends to at least 2 inches below where a bra strap would normally sit. You can see it clearly in this shot from the trailer.

In progress/planning: Jawa, Qi'Ra, SW 7 Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
KittyKat (Kat Moore)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So I've been looking at all the pics as they get released and I agree with Natalie that the jacket is not white. It is more of a sand colour. It is worth noting that the jacket (worn open) with the pants is overall more weathered than the closed jacket and skirt combination. Even the belt stitching is less white.

I agree with the dark brown piping and fur liner. I would suggest maybe a dark brown faux suede piping. That is what I am seeing from the close ups.

The fur may be a Persian or lamb fur that has been roughened up, but a Sherpa or fleece lining is more attainable to buy.
KittyKat (Kat Moore)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the greeblies that look like pen lids use the same clip as a dosimeter (see Krennic's code cylinders)

The stitching on the collar requires twin needle or double top stitching. The sand coloured piping ( appears to be suede also) is used on the length of the sleeves on th the back.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KittyKat wrote:
Also, the greeblies that look like pen lids use the same clip as a dosimeter (see Krennic's code cylinders)

The stitching on the collar requires twin needle or double top stitching. The sand coloured piping ( appears to be suede also) is used on the length of the sleeves on th the back.

All imperial officers, since the OT, use code cylinders with those special two part clips. (vintage 1960's Stephens radiation dosimeters) You can buy recreated clips on the Imperial Officers forums, for ultimate accuracy with this, and just paint them gloss black along with the cylinder.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to be sure ! some place are saying the jacket is in leather and not suede or micro-suede !
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is suede, the designer confirmed it in a tweet response.

You can clearly see material in this image:
Karsinei ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can see it !

Sad that most of the jacket sold online are leather only :/

So nobody can buy one (if they can't sew it like me) because of a basic sewing machine !

So I can't clearly make her !
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faux suede is very doable substitute to real suede. It is also very easily sewn on all machines.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Even the most basic sewing machines shouldn't have a hard time sewing faux suede. Even actual suede would likely be ok to sew, given how thin it has to be for this jacket. (much more expensive, though, and hard to source in the right color)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out the discussion going on in the spoiler area of the Underworld Detachment.
I absolutly for certain can say that the jacket and the dress with yellow will for sure be 501. Further discussion here is just fine, but know that it's not going to be a Rebel Legion costume.
Thanks guys!
Dawn Bright
Legion Membership Team

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Indy Magnoli (Indy Magnoli)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you may know we're currently working on a Qi'ra suede jacket for our White Label line (should be the same pricing as our Solo Suede Jacket @ $325 (shipped).

Now, the big issue is the front closure. The simplest thing would probably be offering both a hook-and-bar closed version and a no-closure open version.

But it seems a shame to spend this much on a jacket and not have both options available. Unfortunately, magnets are just not strong enough to hold such a fitting jacket in place.

So, we had this idea of including a somewhat hidden zipper (green line in image below). The idea is to have the zipper pull hidden behind the flap of the right side of the jacket (red line) and the left side to have a matching cream-colored nylon zipper (magenta line) set into the seam that's already there. When worn open, it should be fairly subtle and not jump out as out-of-place.

So the only thing that would be visible in the above image would be a narrow row of cream-colored nylon zipper teeth following the seam indicated by the magenta line. No zipper pull would be visible nor anything else on the right flap (the red line side).

The question is... would the Legion accept this type of closure for open wear (Level 1 certification at least)? Obviously this type of decision would be pending some images of what it looks like in reality, just curious if this would be worth pursuing.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Indy!

Rebel Legion isn't going to be hosting this costume after all, the 501st is. So your question would be better asked there, where the CRL is in the process of being developed. I'll shoot you the links.

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all I wanted to post this here to let you guys know that Qi'ra will be a 501st costume.

Thank you so much for all of your discussions

You can find CRL updates and discussion on the Underworld forum

https://501stunderworld.com/

https://501stunderworld.com/forums/index.php?/forum/43-sw-spoiler-zone/

Please do not hesitate to mail us at

LMO@501st.com
LMO@Rebellegion.com

Have a good day!

Dawn Bright

ALMO-RL
LMO-501st

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: