Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6eb00f931e92673ff4ea1947f8f3bd6fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Barriss Offee help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiamondPadawan ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Barriss Offee help please! Reply with quote

Hello there! I just wanted to get my thread started before I forgot. Quick introduction. I came over from 501st as Barriss (unaccepted, still WIP) just not a lot of help there as not many consider her all that bad. So I was directed here to join as a Jedi Barriss Offee and get some help! I’ve been looking off a linked requirements list (501st is still working on getting one for Barriss) from here and a bunch of movie and tv stills as reference. Costume is mostly pieced together (may be bad since I’ve done so much hand stitching and I’m not tickled pink if I have to rip it out haha). I am shooting basically for Barriss as we first see her standing next to her Master onlooking the Jedi Masters having a chit chat with Palpatine about current events, seeing as that is the first scene I spotted her and said “those two in the background are cooler than all the ones in the foreground!” And started my mission of research! Also, fun fact, my best friend is moving in with me in November and I’ve nudged her into going for Luminara so super yay!

First draft of rough stitch for top, alongside dyed cape that the pattern will be added to (I’m on a budget, so I had to just go with dying a cape I bought for another costume years ago, hoping the color pattern will hide the texture). If you have any tips on how to add the pattern... that would be appreciated!

The belt buckle, which is a regular belt buckle I found on Amazon with painted scrap wood glued to it and glossed. (Yay budget!)

The one thing I sprang on (I love you, tax returns!): the lightsaber! I sent a picture of Barriss’ lightsaber to a replica maker and we back-and-forthed a bit until he got as close as humanly possible for a less-than-$100 replica maker to get on a custom job. Thank you, Mr. Custom Lightsaber Man! (And yes I have tightened the belt since this picture was taken)

Makeup test in which I was too lazy to fully become Barriss. This is from last week and I was still waiting for my matte lipstick in the mail, so what you’re seeing is actually eyeliner (same as diamonds). Bronzer didn’t help the skin tone at all, so next time I’m trying primer under it and maybe a hint of foundation? (What do you think? Might experiment Monday) Yellow facepaint is “Diamond FX” brand, eyeliner is whatever was on sale at the drug store, cosmetic lenses are exoticlenses.com. The lipstick came in the mail finally and it’s poor quality gloss so I stopped at the store and bought good quality lipstick that doesn’t seem to like to come off with anything put professional remover, so I have my hopes up. Thinking using eyeliner with a stencil for the hand tattoos, have not tried this one yet. Thoughts? Facial diamonds might to too tight.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and best of luck with this. Smile

I do have some knowledge of Barriss, but unfortunately your picture of you wearing it is too dark to offer any feedback.
So here's some general stuff: Are you going with black or midnight blue for the shirt and skirt? Do your skirt have the flare from just above the knees and down?
And do you have any close ups/detail pictures of your parts yet?

I hope you will get it all done, and yes, this costume is very much Rebel Legion, not 501st. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
DiamondPadawan ()

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your reply! I'm going with black on her clothing and I originally went with no fit in the skirt because I didn't have a reference and the picture I was going off of looked full flare. That can be remedied though. Looking at the post now, it looks like not all my pictures attached successfully. I did have makeup tests and her belt buckle and that sort of thing too. Problem is, I saved them on a temporary site to link here so I'll have to get on my tablet to retrieve the pictures. Ah well, I'll work on that when life slows down.
flutefreak05 (Lauren Lys)
Assistant Legion PR Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pattern on the cape is hand stitched (I can send you detailed pictures if you would like). If you have any questions or need any advice feel free to message me (my ATOC Barriss is approved). Good luck on your build Smile
The Flagship Eclipse Detachment PR Officer
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base XO
Takodana Base XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Welcome and best of luck with this. Smile

I do have some knowledge of Barriss, but unfortunately your picture of you wearing it is too dark to offer any feedback.

And do you have any close ups/detail pictures of your parts yet?

Yes, better lighting would make it so we can be more helpful.

I fixed the couple photo links that didn't have the right code to display.

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I hope you will get it all done, and yes, this costume is very much Rebel Legion, not 501st. Smile

Yes, and No {SPOILERS} Barriss goes villainous, bombing several at the end of The Clone Wars. That version, Traitor Barriss is 501st approvable, and has been for a while. We're working on finishing up the CRL.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011–2013 • LCJ • Assistant Rebel Legion Webmaster
DiamondPadawan ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for fixing the links. I had no idea what I was going to do about them.

I'm having some trouble with the skirt. I really don't have the sewing abilities to make it myself so I was hoping to buy it somewhere. However, I spent about an hour surfing the internet looking on clothing stores for this type of skirt and can't find it. Any pointers?

I'll try to retake the pictures if the sun decides to shine this weekend. Afraid indoor lighting isn't so good in my home. :/
ladyb (Brita Capell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is by no means surefire but I've found a few of these in thrift shops (mine Barriss Skirt included).

Might try stuff local first and see if some are there.

...she may have saved us...we lost our way...She [was] a true friend of the Jedi...
—Obi-wan Kenobi about Asajj Ventress
DiamondPadawan ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a better lighting picture of the top and cloak. Both need slight modification (ok, the cloak moreso as I have to get rid of the ties haha, but I have a method planned out).[/img]
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Smile

If your current skirt is a full circle, what you need is to cut it so that you instead have a fitted skirt in top, then the circle flare. Would be easiest to do if you have extra fabric for the fitted skirt. The rest can be reused and resized.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: