Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b6b2dcd1d21ca209f507edd890f16ab5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

M1 Helmet Templates/Cover Pattern & Pouches Q's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IggyPopov ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: M1 Helmet Templates/Cover Pattern & Pouches Q's Reply with quote

After a hiatus, I'm back to working my my Scarif trooper costume. After gathering up a bunch of what is required, the last big thing I need to figure out is the headgear.

As my funds are limited, it looks like I'm going to have to build my own. You know that Johnny Cash song, One Piece At A Time? That's what my plan is for an M1 style helmet.

First, is there a decent plastic helmet or M1 helmet liner that would be good to use? I've found a few on Amazon but I'm not sure if any of those are suitable for RL approval.

Next, are there any templates floating around for the outer shell? I've tried a few searches but all I can find are 3D print files & not a scratch build template. I'm also looking for a sewing pattern for the helmet cover as well.

Now onto some smaller stuff. I already acquired the proper 3 grenade pouch, but I'm not sure which other pouches are acceptable. I keep looking at stuff on various military surplus sites but again, am not sure exactly which ones to grab.

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greek Thompson mag pouches are acceptable, as are M3 Grease Gun bandoleers, and Sterling SMG bandoleers- though admittedly, the only way you're likely to find those last 2 bits is from a repro company, since originals are collector items at this point.

I did find- from China- a reasonably cheap metal M1 for mine. Let me track down where I got it (probably eBay).
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a Rogue One M1 style helmet that's scratchbuilt off of a halloween-grade M1 replica and an older-style Bell skate helmet. I'm not sure if it's too undersized, and the Bell helmet is needing some bondo work to cover the extra air-holes, and the ridge detail in the back. But it's been ~$20 so far, plus hours. Here's my pics for you to gauge your interest.

Gallery showing comparison with screen refs and 3D printed options:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9T1XmY

StephenDutton ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scratch built my M1 helmet (as a back up to the Casrich type) using a Kombat brand replica bought off eBay. I bought three of these so that I could then use the other two to make the outer shell. These were about £10 a piece in the UK.
Along the way I recorded what I did and posted it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZxvnexfAk

There are also pictures on my Deviant Art page in the RL gallery:

https://www.deviantart.com/stephenjd/gallery/64749287/rl-clearance-photos
IggyPopov ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. Now I have a few options to consider & a place to start.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a vintage M1 helmet, so that part wasn't an issue for me. I'd check eBay and the usual sources. Hopefully it's close enough a match to the real M1 that the shell designed for an M1 fits it well.

My first efforts were a scratch build using a bike helmet as a base, too, but I was much happier with my 3D printed shell. If you don't have a 3D printer you can likely find someone to print one for you, or try your local public library as they often have 3D printers, these days. And there's always services like 3DHub that connects you with a local printer who can print it for you, for a fairly modest price, generally.

If you have any sewing ability, you can probably manage the cover yourself. I managed. It was fiddly and a pain, but honestly it wasn't THAT bad. It's not horribly complicated. I have a WIP thread that documents it here in this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: