Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=114537ac51545cd15c51d0f057368b16Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH Boots Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Projekt ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Han Solo ANH Boots Question Reply with quote

First of all I want to say thanks for having me. Iím very excited to hopefully become an active part of this close knit community. What began with Toddís blaster (to display along side my sabers) has evolved into a full blown ANH getup. Iíve a shirt and gloves on the way from Magnolis and blaster, rig, belt, and vest coming from Toddís. My greblies are a legit soda tube and the power cells from Solos hold. The droid caller is Anovos. Those will hopefully hit approval with no issues. Iím currently using Skycostume pants, but plan to order Magnolis in the fall. So my only real snag will be boots. I found a great pair of the Soviet Riding boots on Etsy per a recommendation from someone in the Han Solo FB group. I wanted to get yíalls input before I sank anymore money into them. If I level the tops do you think Iíll have any issues getting approval? Thank you in advance and sorry for the wall of text. Just very eager to get this out together!

https://imgur.com/RcW6JqR
http://imgur.com/a/vXYxQAv
OrnHyeJoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Boots Reply with quote

Which company on Etsy did you use to purchase the boots?
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antigua House. She has a surplus of the Soviet Riding boots.
OrnHyeJoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I purchased my ANH boots and I love them.
I hope yours fit as well as mine.
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyíre a bit snug. Iíll have to have the foot stretched out. Did you get formal approval with yours?
OrnHyeJoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet.
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Iím pulling for you man! Let me know!
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped up to see if anyone knew what to expect as far as approval is concerned?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have you aboard!! Thanks for posting the pics and asking the questions.

Looking at the photos the boots appear to be a tad short to me, and if you have the tops straightened, that's only going to make the problem worse. That said, I really can't be totally sure they're too short, since the photo really only shows the boot, with no real clear idea of where your knee is. The top of the boot should hit right below your kneecap (and I mean right below, like touching it).

Generally, we kind of look at where the thigh strap for the holster is and how much space there is between that and the top of the boot.. Try taking a shot from the waist down, pants tucked in the boots, and try to have the camera looking at the boot straight on as much as possible. A downward looking angle on the camera can have a tendency to make the boot look shorter than it really is.

Hope that helps!!

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
OrnHyeJoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 is correct. Ideally the boots should fit right under the knee cap.
At 6'4" my boots have a 20" shaft and fit about 1" below my knee.
I'm not sure if that would disqualify me from approval.
Your boots look good. I would like to see a full body picture and as Brian said take one facing forward. That will help the judges be able to give you the advice/recommendation you are looking for.
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses gents! Appreciate the insights! Once my holster gets here Iíll take some of the photos yíall described and post em. They def donít touch my knee cap but itís close! Hopefully I can ergo the leveling and not cost any height. Again all help is honestly appreciated!
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also larger question, Iím currently Active Duty, as such I canít have Hanís hair. Is that a deal breaker for approval? Iíve looked into wigs but they all look fairly tacky :/
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projekt wrote:
Also larger question, Iím currently Active Duty, as such I canít have Hanís hair. Is that a deal breaker for approval? Iíve looked into wigs but they all look fairly tacky :/

There are definitely good wigs (I wear one for my Han) but the better the wig, the higher the price.

The standards say:

"For face characters, all costumers should strive for a close resemblance to the character's hair shape and color, facial hair or lack thereof, as well as any body decorations the character may have, such as tattoos and piercings. For hair color, unless exact color is required by the standard, all natural hair colors are accepted."

(see: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/han-solo-episode-iv/ )

I would guess a wig would be preferred, but I don't think that it's actually required.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kman that your hair length or lack there of should not be a deal breaker for getting approved.
If you search the Han Solo approved members you will find everything from military cuts to almost shoulder length.

Let me take a moment to say THANK YOU for your service to our country.
Your dedication to supporting and preserving freedom and the American way of life is appreciated more than you will ever know.
Projekt ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrnHyeJoo wrote:
I agree with Kman that your hair length or lack there of should not be a deal breaker for getting approved.
If you search the Han Solo approved members you will find everything from military cuts to almost shoulder length.

Let me take a moment to say THANK YOU for your service to our country.
Your dedication to supporting and preserving freedom and the American way of life is appreciated more than you will ever know.

Well thank you for that! Always nice to hear! Love my job so Iím fortunate there! Itís a win all around! Thank you for being appreciative if that make sense? Haha

Whew good news on the hair front. I shouldíve preface with decently priced wigs look tacky. There are some amazing ones for the right price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: