Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a92572d54e9334135e172177b589aef4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth/Bespin Escape Leia Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thejackal327 wrote:
I'm not a judge, so please take this with a huge grain of salt, but I can tell you that I had to re-work my patches to make the "S" pattern more diagonal. Maybe someone with more authority can speak to your stitching, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks! I appreciate the insight. For whatever reason, I am not "seeing" the stitching which is why I made my preliminary sketch of what I thought it looked like and posted. Luckily I have a lot of extra fabric and trim and can remake the pads easily enough if that is what is asked.

Wink

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a possible boot for Hoth. I like the look and the price and would definitely paint the wedge portion to match the rest of the boot. Would this work as a base boot?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742HS1H7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KUNHVP0YZWNL&psc=1

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a good portion done yesterday. I would have liked to have gotten further along but had to adjust a few other costumes for the week so time ran out. Neutral

I sanded and painted the communicator and rank badge and am actually very happy with how they turned out. I was reviewing the photos we have of the actual rank badge and it is hard to see what color the far left side is so I just went with my best guess based on how the rest of it looked.

I also lined up the communicator on my arm and the sizing looks great! I wasn't sure if it would be too big but based on references, I think it should be fine.

I also put together the inner lining for the vest and was able to check fit and I think it looks great. The color is perfect against my jumpsuit.

Also started off stitching the back diamond pattern on the vest and it went much better than I thought it would. Once I had everything marked, I just stitched down the lines and it went surprisingly fast.

Unfortunately, that is as far as I got last night but I am hopeful to get a lot more done tonight after work.

I ended up ordering the boots I posted about and plan on doing the "Falcon Variant" for them. Suggestions on what material would be best for the straos on the boots would be appreciated. I looked at vinyl yesterday but can't really buy anything until the boots come in and I can compare colors. They are arriving no later than September 4 which means I will miss the deadline to submit my costume before elections but oh well. Maybe I can find an alternate pair that will arrive sooner.

I was reviewing the vest and studying the upper yoke portions. If I use the same batting that I have for the bottom half, it may be too "fluffy". What is the general rule of thumb for batting on this? Is the yoke portion made with a different batting?

In this image it looks fairly flat in the yoke portion so I am almost inclined to use interfacing in place of batting but was curious what others had done?

I'm pretty sure this is the batting I purchased. It was 70% off so I got 2 yards for $4 but I can purchase a different kind if its looking to big.
https://www.joann.com/comfortloft-100pct-polyester-batting-by-the-yard-90inw/2745107.html#start=1

Again, looking at a few other recently approved Leia's, the vest bulkiness varies. Is this something that is flexible when being judged like hair color etc?

Costume Mentor
Jillian Hyperion (Jill Wells)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome thread! This costume was a November - June odyssey for me.
My judge feedback on the boot straps was that they should be suede or faux suede, not webbing. I bought some and had it sewn around webbing and used shoe glue for velcro squares to wear the straps. (I did the spat Hoth version of the boots and I use the straps to hold on the wrap around spat.)
I'm considering doing them again with a snap but it is nice to be able to pull them tightly to make sure they stay in place. Attaching one end to the boot since you did the Falcon version might be helpful.
I painted them to be a little darker than I painted my boots with a acrylic leather paint in different shades of grey. Feedback was they were too dark so they ended up matching the boots, so I am going to darken them just slightly again for a little variation in color there. I like how that looks better.

The pen is mightier than the microphone.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jillian Hyperion wrote:

My judge feedback on the boot straps was that they should be suede or faux suede, not webbing.

Oooh suede. I hadn't thought of that option at all. That is actually much easier! I'll have to start searching for a matching color once I get the boots. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I decided on Bespin escape on a whim and then decided to do both since they are so fun and I don't really have any ESB costumes except the end scene one. I've enjoyed working on this so far and learning new skills. Thanks for the insight!

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the vest last night and I am oh so happy with it! As I had mentioned earlier, I was able to borrow the Blu Pepper pattern from a fellow base mate, Amanda, and used that to make my vest. Thanks Amanda! Mr. Green

I wasn't quite happy with the quilting I had done the night before so I recut the back pattern and drew in the diamonds using this pen:
https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Disappearing-Marking-Sewing-Purple/dp/B000YZ7OQO/ref=asc_df_B000YZ7OQO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216539702338&hvpos=1o14&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1354584023892307286&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031214&hvtargid=pla-350802299991&psc=1

I was worried that it wouldn't come off since it was purple but it came off surprisingly easily and I was super happy to be able to follow the lines as I stitched them into place. I used the batting I had posted about previously and it worked really well!

The Blu Pepper pattern is amazing. It needs no modifications really. Amanda had added the pattern piece for the faux pocket flaps and I made the rank badge pocket based off of the size of my rank badge.

I ended up using less than one full pack of piping for the yoke and collar sections.

The thing that took longest on this entire vest was the diamond stitching but after that was done, it went fast. All told, I made the vest in just about 4 hours.
Fit check after lining was in place.

I definitely need to iron it completely to get rid of the creases on the fabric so please ignore those for now.

Vest at the 75% point on jumpsuit.

Pocket flaps added.

Collar added.

I ended up putting in extra batting to give it the bigger fluffy look. That seemed to be a main comment from the judges so I added more and hopefully it's enough! Shocked

Finished vest with rank badge pocket.

I am now waiting for my boots to arrive so I can modify them and I *should* be set. Oh! Also sewing in the magnets to the wrist padding so that the communicator can be removed easily when I want to wear just the Bespin version. That will be done today since I have the day off. Mr. Green

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So based on the comment about the stitching needing to be more diagonal, I redid it and am actually much happier with it.

I also glued earth magnets to the back of the wrist communicator and then did a trial run with it on my arm and it worked perfectly!

This was an easy way to switch out from Hoth to Bespin and vice versa without messing up the stitching on the costume. I probably could have used bigger magnets but this worked just as well and since I didn't want to buy something I already had in my possession, I went with it and it worked. Mr. Green

I did a new trial run on the costume and ended up using Kanekalon (Bless Kanekalon!) and am much happier with it. I took 2 separate full size packages and braided them together into one big braid. This helped make it fuller and give me the look of her braids without being super heavy. I put my hair up in the ponytail as I did before but then pinned the Kanekalon UNDER the ponytail in the two loops. I then used my actual hair to create the bun center and it worked perfectly.

Here is a front and back shot to illustrate the change.

I also did a trial run on the hair and vest for Hoth and it all came together really well. I used the exact same extension piece I had used for Bespin hair and wrapped it around my own hair. I basically tighty braided my own wet hair at the bottom of my head and then interwove it through the fake braid and it helped to not only keep the hair in place but to give it more of the look of Leia's.

I still need to fiddle with the hair a bit more to get it to lay perfectly flat but after this trial run, I am positive I can do it with my own hair and the extension piece easily for events.

I'm just waiting on the boots and then I can finish this up.

I am a bit confused on the boots for Hoth. There is the "Falcon variant" and the other version. From what I can tell, the Falcon variant doesn't have the wraps around the leg of the boot. Is that correct? It is just basically a wedge boot with the three gray, suede straps wrapped around.

Is this correct? Can I please get clarification on this?

I am oh so close to finishing all of this and would appreciate feedback before I take submission photos if at all possible. Thank you. Leia Buns

Costume Mentor
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you share your reference images for the boots you are planning to make?

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Could you share your reference images for the boots you are planning to make?

These are the boots I purchased. I have not received them so no modifications have been made yet. I’m not sure what you mean by reference images?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742HS1H7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KUNHVP0YZWNL&psc=1

Costume Mentor
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture with the "Falcon" boots:

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair looks much better with the kanekalon extensions. Smile It was too short before.

Have you found the boots for Bespin Escape yet?
Do be aware that even if you sent in pictures today, it would be unlikely to be done before September. However, given that you are already a member that wouldn't really have an impact on you.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
The hair looks much better with the kanekalon extensions. Smile It was too short before.

Have you found the boots for Bespin Escape yet?
Do be aware that even if you sent in pictures today, it would be unlikely to be done before September. However, given that you are already a member that wouldn't really have an impact on you.

Yes, I agree about the hair. It's much easier to do with them so bonus on that! Very Happy

I "believe" I have found boots that will work and was hoping for feedback on them. They arrived yesterday and I tried them on today. I plan on painting the heel section to match the rest of the boot but I think the color is spot on. Should hopefully start working on the wrap portion tomorrow now that I can color match the vinyl and piping to the boot itself.

I am hoping to at least have the entire costume done by Wednesday but we'll see.

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:
Here is a picture with the "Falcon" boots:

Thank you for confirming that! It is what I thought were the Falcon variant but it's nice to get additional confirmation. Mr. Green

So, with that being said, here is my question. On the left are Leia's boots. On the right are my boots.

As you can see, the red area shown on the left is what I perceive to be a zipper or gray line going down the inside of the boot. The yellow lined areas are the "straps" of suede that are going around that boot.

Looking at the side by side, it would appear that the only addition I need to make to my boots, other than the suede straps, would be to paint the wedge to match the gray of the boot. Is that correct?

I have been searching for other shots of her Falcon boots and haven't found any real solid images other than the one above.

Is what I am seeing in these boots correct?

Costume Mentor
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another photo (black & white)

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:

Thank you! This further shows, to me anyway, that its basically a gray, wedge boot with the added on straps. I think I'll proceed with that today and then I should be good to go unless I'm missing something? Shocked

Costume Mentor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: