Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=722405679b36150968133049306eba42Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth/Bespin Escape Leia Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards state for the "Falcon" boots - plain boot shafts with an inside zipper. Of course, with the suede straps. (Per photo examples) Smile

Carry on!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:
The standards state for the "Falcon" boots - plain boot shafts with an inside zipper. Of course, with the suede straps. (Per photo examples) Smile

Carry on!

Thanks so much! I appreciate the help. Mr. Green

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on the boots last night and I think it's safe to say that I am done!

I took the boots to JoAnn's and scanned the acrylic paint aisle till I found one that matched perfectly.

I then sanded the wedge area and painted it with the paint and then sealed with the same sealant I used for my Slave Leia costume. It works great!

I also noticed that there was a height restriction on the wedge in the standard and I double checked to make sure it matches and luckily, it does! What a find on these boots, let me tell you! Shocked

I had some spare suede from my Qi'ra build so I used that to create the straps for the boots. I measured them so they were one inch wide and made them roughly 16 inches long so I could loop them around comfortably.

I then added Velcro to the ends and looped them around one of the boots for a test fit and I was very pleased with the results.

Here are the completed boots from all angles.

Finally fully suited up! Just wish it wasn't so hot in California for this costume. Crying or Very sad

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Nicely done!

Thank you!! I'm so happy with how it all came together. Now if only Mother Nature would cooperate. Wink

Costume Mentor
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really great start as always Natalie!!

This is for sure my favorite Leia and it's super complicated. I have some suggestions before you submit to consider but I am so glad to see you working on this!!

The boots are awesome. I would look at making sure the straps look even and clean.

The front collar needs to close in the front and not show a gap. I would really suggest re-cutting this piece. From the pics I can't tell if the top of the collar has piping but if it doesn't for sure add it! Smile

Suit overall looks really good. The leg patches look uneven and could be a bit longer on you but they start in a GREAT place, so many people start them on the leg not the lower torso so awesome research there. They also look a bit uneven to me, like one goes further down?

The plackard on the jumpsuit should ideally have batting since the rest of your suit appears to have batting so that it looks even. Does this have a top stitch around the edge? I would also suggest making it a few inches longer but thats more of a "ideal" to match the screen image.

From the latest pics the upper arm patches on the suit look ok but the lower arm patches look really large to me and need to be shrunken.

Vest collar and overall shape looks ok, I would prefer the edge top stitching closer to the edges (like 1/4 inch) but that is just me being nit-picky and isn't a huge deal. I do think the vest is a little short in the back (needs to hit around mid butt) and would prefer the yokes be a little higher up. The white piping doesn't seem to match the off-white vest, did you make a sleeve for the piping out of the vest fabric? That's what I did to make my chording match if that helps. I would also make sure that the seam is not visible on the collar of the vest (I sewed the outer layer of the collar to the body of the vest and then hand stitched the inner collar under with a whip stitch so that you can't see the extra fabric. You could also sew the lining with collar and outside with collar together and then attach them while you attach the piping around the collar.)

I also would probably make the pocket for the rank badge smaller so it doesn't appear to be falling out on the vest and probably add some batting to the belt so it looks the same as the rest of your costume. The belt should have top stitching about 1/4 inch from the edge as with the placket covering the zipper.

You look awesome as always and I hope this helps you my friend Smile

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
antoa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my vest, I attached the collar before I attached the lining, so the seam allowance was sandwiched in between and hidden - this saved me from any hand sewing. I also used an off white piping. I didn’t have to make my own, since the store bought one was a close match.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:

The front collar needs to close in the front and not show a gap. I would really suggest re-cutting this piece. From the pics I can't tell if the top of the collar has piping but if it doesn't for sure add it! Smile

Suit overall looks really good. The leg patches look uneven and could be a bit longer on you but they start in a GREAT place, so many people start them on the leg not the lower torso so awesome research there. They also look a bit uneven to me, like one goes further down?

The plackard on the jumpsuit should ideally have batting since the rest of your suit appears to have batting so that it looks even. Does this have a top stitch around the edge? I would also suggest making it a few inches longer but thats more of a "ideal" to match the screen image.

From the latest pics the upper arm patches on the suit look ok but the lower arm patches look really large to me and need to be shrunken.

Vest collar and overall shape looks ok, I would prefer the edge top stitching closer to the edges (like 1/4 inch) but that is just me being nit-picky and isn't a huge deal. I do think the vest is a little short in the back (needs to hit around mid butt) and would prefer the yokes be a little higher up. The white piping doesn't seem to match the off-white vest, did you make a sleeve for the piping out of the vest fabric? That's what I did to make my chording match if that helps. I would also make sure that the seam is not visible on the collar of the vest (I sewed the outer layer of the collar to the body of the vest and then hand stitched the inner collar under with a whip stitch so that you can't see the extra fabric. You could also sew the lining with collar and outside with collar together and then attach them while you attach the piping around the collar.)

I also would probably make the pocket for the rank badge smaller so it doesn't appear to be falling out on the vest and probably add some batting to the belt so it looks the same as the rest of your costume. The belt should have top stitching about 1/4 inch from the edge as with the placket covering the zipper.

You look awesome as always and I hope this helps you my friend Smile

Thanks for all the comments! This is what I needed so it helps tremendously.

Most, if not all, are easy fixes that I can make this week. I'll post when they are done. Thank you! Mr. Green

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoa wrote:
For my vest, I attached the collar before I attached the lining, so the seam allowance was sandwiched in between and hidden - this saved me from any hand sewing. I also used an off white piping. I didn’t have to make my own, since the store bought one was a close match.

I hadn't thought of that but now that I got this feedback, easy to do! Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I think you and I used the same piping. The "Oyster" color I think it is called. I may need to just lightly paint it to match, if necessary. It's pretty close but if it won't be approved that way, I can adjust it easily, thank goodness!

Costume Mentor
antoa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:

I hadn't thought of that but now that I got this feedback, easy to do! Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I think you and I used the same piping. The "Oyster" color I think it is called. I may need to just lightly paint it to match, if necessary. It's pretty close but if it won't be approved that way, I can adjust it easily, thank goodness!

Yep, I used the oyster color. Your fabric must be slightly darker because your piping looks white in the pictures. Like you said, a little paint will fix it up!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the length in the vest negotiable at all? If it just needs a few inches that means I’d have to remake the whole thing and i obviously would rather not have to do that if possible.

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So luckily I had a free night last night and was able to make all the suggested changes to my suit. Collar that closes all the way, smaller padding at wrists, reinforced belt and placket, longer placket and made sure the front leg pads were even. I HAD put one slightly lower so once I noticed that, I took it out and reattached it to line up with the other one. I had a checklist next to me so as I fixed one thing I checked it off and moved on to the next.

I also redid my hair again and am really liking the Kanekalon extensions. They work great!

I also did a bit more research on the vest as I really did not want to remake the whole thing and I believe my vest should be okay at its current length based on this back shot of Carrie.

I will be fixing the piping color and the collar tomorrow after work and resizing the pocket as well and then that should be it. Is there anything else I should adjust before sending in my submission?

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my comments from the judge on Bespin Escape and luckily they are all very easy changes. I went ahead and did most of them this weekend. I needed to center the placket and tack it down at the bottom, make sure my seams were even (they are but needed to be pressed to show this Wink ) and fix the pads so that they looked more pill shaped.

I took out the leg pads and remeasured them. The length on my leg pads is 10 inches and the width is 6 inches. I made a new pattern out of newspaper for it and made sure to curve the top sections more. I even took out an Advil and compared it to the ones I was making to make sure it looked closer to that shape. Once I had done that, I could see where I needed to fix mine and made the new ones with new piping etc.

This picture was particularly helpful for me and I had it up on my laptop as I was stitching to make sure I had the shape as close as possible.

I was pretty busy all weekend so hope to take new shots tonight after work and then get started on fixing my collar on Hoth Leia. It is frustrating when I want to finish something but life gets in the way.
[/img]

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to locate some great makeup that I feel replicates Leia's look well so thought I would post it here for anyone also looking.

I used the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani palette for the eyeshadow.

I used "Stark" on the brow bone, "Zone" on the lid and "Anaheim" very lightly in the crease. I then used Wet N Wild "Baby Got Black" pencil eyeliner and smudged it all around the lid and waterline. I then used "Zone" again on the waterline and smudged it there also.

For blush, I found a great one that matches very well. I used Steve Laurant Beauty Blush in "Rose All Day" for a light wash on the apples of the cheeks.

For lipstick, I used Lipstick Queen in "Medieval". Even though it looks red, it comes off as a pale red/brown hue and looks very natural.

I used this shot as a reference for the makeup look BTW.

Costume Mentor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: