Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=458e0c5b561b0e27d7fed7eb454b802bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Starting Ep. 3 Obi wan all help is welcome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Thompson ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Starting Ep. 3 Obi wan all help is welcome Reply with quote

Hello friends,

I'm looking at starting another costume. Are there any good tutorials for how to make the tunics for someone who is new to sewing? Also what kind of fabric was used?

Thanks in advance!
Rob Thompson ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this belt pass for approval?

https://saberforge.com/collections/belts/products/chosen-one-belt
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would steer clear of any and all Saberforge products. The belt you linked to is not accurate for an Obi-Wan ROTS Costume:

For a screen accurate and fully functional belt buckle you can get one from Saber Belt. Dave (Saberbelt) also can provide you with the screen accurate button studs that hold the smaller 1/2 wide cinch belt in place over the wider 2 1/4 wide main belt.

I'm not sure what vendors make this belt for commissions at this point only because I have been out of the game for a while now.

As far as fabrics for the costume you will need a mustard/ khaki color cotton twill for your pants. The inner tunic is two tone with the sleeves and multifolded collar being a darker brown and the main body being a cream or off white color. The outer tunic, sash and tabards are a crinkle type cotton in a beige/ champagne/ cream color. The robe is made of a wool twill coating fabric in a reddish brown color.

The belt has 4 pouches. One large fluted communicator pouch, one small fluted pouch, one rectangular grapple pouch with a large brass button detail, and a vertical leather pouch with a grooved angle cut into the border. The belt also features 8 food capsules (2 Gunmetal, 2 Copper, 2 Gold, and 2 Silver) and a covertech belt clip system which is used to hang your lightsaber from your belt.

Pouches can be purchased through Woodman or Civilized Galactic Gear.
I hope this helps.

Psab
Rob Thompson ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really? Even their sabers? That is good information to know, thank you! I went and bought my fabric last night to start. I will also be looking for good sources for the boots as well!
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes even their sabers. There are far more reputable sources for sabers that deserve your business more than them. I would avoid them and Ultrasabers. Saber forge being at the top of that list of businesses to ignore. Phillip Isherwood (the owner) has been banned from a number of forums, not only for selling inferior products but for death threats against people and their families for calling him out on his business practices or products. You work hard for your money, I want to save you the headache of having to deal with someone like that.

Some good sources are:

The Custom Saber Shop
Genesis Custom Sabers
LDM custom sabers
KR Sabers

There is a seller on etsy that sells Obi-Wan boots from Germany I believe and also JDOS who makes great boots though he tends to have a long wait time. Excellent product though.

I hope you find this information helpful. You are in good hands here on the forums and the Rebel Legion is a great community of people who are glad to help newcomers to this fun and addicting hobby. Please let me know if you need any other sources for items for your costume. Obi-Wan and Luke are my favorites and I have sources for many pieces (fabrics). Take care!

Psab
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for belts I recommend Claudio @ CustomProps in Argentina.
I have 2 of his belts (Anakin and Obi-wan).
here is the listing, for the belt I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-wan-Jedi-Belt-Leather-Pouch/132082683712?_trkparms=aid%3D222007
and here is a photo of my own belt/costume:
https://imageshack.com/a/img537/46/mBSeDj.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img913/4574/nmP8vj.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img540/8418/xA7QSH.jpg
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psab Keel wrote:
Yes even their sabers. There are far more reputable sources for sabers that deserve your business more than them. I would avoid them and Ultrasabers. Saber forge being at the top of that list of businesses to ignore. Phillip Isherwood (the owner) has been banned from a number of forums, not only for selling inferior products but for death threats against people and their families for calling him out on his business practices or products. You work hard for your money, I want to save you the headache of having to deal with someone like that.

Some good sources are:

The Custom Saber Shop
Genesis Custom Sabers
LDM custom sabers
KR Sabers

There is a seller on etsy that sells Obi-Wan boots from Germany I believe and also JDOS who makes great boots though he tends to have a long wait time. Excellent product though.

I hope you find this information helpful. You are in good hands here on the forums and the Rebel Legion is a great community of people who are glad to help newcomers to this fun and addicting hobby. Please let me know if you need any other sources for items for your costume. Obi-Wan and Luke are my favorites and I have sources for many pieces (fabrics). Take care!

Psab

I am curious as to why you included Ultrasabers as an undesirable source for lightsabers?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ripped off my friends years ago and there were issues with them banning anyone who criticized their products from their forums, plus them being banned from many forums. I've heard about some unsavory business practices regarding their company be it between shoddy workmanship, poor customer service, and stealing other saber smith's work.

That may have changed in recent years but I typically advise people to go to the ones I listed as I know from personal experience that they deliver a great product and are good people.
Rob Thompson ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great information, thank you guys I really do appreciate it. This is definitely more detailed than my Jawa. I found this belt kit on etsy, what do you guys know? Good or Bad?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205769680/star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-jedi-belt?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=jedi%20belt%20pouches&ref=sr_gallery-1-4
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very good starter kit, affordable and approvable..
it's sold by Costumebase and Jedi Robe America.. it's a good place to start..
but I'm being kind when I say, the quality is not really all that great.

I had one of these kits. the belt fell apart after a few uses;
the plastic 'pen clips' all broke off the food capsules (which are not screen accurate for obi-wan);
the pouches both split at the seams; (and they are not approvable for obi-wan); etc.

in the end, I only kept the button studs and buckle hardware.
that's all I have left of this kit. the rest ended up in the bin. Sad

like I said, it's an affordable kit, and a good place to start, for a first time generic jedi..
..but it's not accurate for obi-wan so it really wouldn't suit your purpose.
and I wouldn't personally buy this same product again. so I can't personally recommend it.

again: for what it's worth, I really think this is the best bang-for-your-buck @$85.
I recommend this to everyone. Razz

belt only:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-Wan-Jedi-Belt-/173380090871?oid=132396777743

belt with leather pouch:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-wan-Jedi-Belt-Leather-Pouch/132082683712?_trkparms=aid%3D222007

^^ I have 2 belts from this seller, they are both "screen accurate" (for anakin and obi-wan)..
I display them proudly on mannequins in my home, etc... etc... I have nothing but positive feedback for this seller.
I would definitely buy this product again.

https://imageshack.com/a/img910/5656/lSWE8E.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img908/9651/mwcA8V.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img537/46/mBSeDj.jpg

-===-

this is your best deal for food capsules -- 100% screen accurate, from the correct steadtler pen caps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jedi-Food-Energy-Capsules-Pellets-set-of-8-star-wars-accessories-props/253726931586

-===-

for resin pouches, contact woodman
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74250&start=0
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cobalt, it sounds like i'm going to dodge a bullet on that. I thought all the pouches were supposed to be leather, not wood.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the screen used pouches were resin (a few of which were made to look like leather) and there is only one actual leather flapped pouch.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obi-wan has three molded resin pouches and one leather pouch.

the ones they sell in that kit , are actually from their 'screen accurate' boba fett belt. Razz
ie: they are selling "boba fett pouches" in the jedi starter-kit.

^^ this works fine for generic jedi , but it won't pass for Obi-Wan.

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obi-wan's pouches are very specific.

this is the only 'leather' pouch he wears.

here are some reference pics of obi-wan's resin belt-boxes.

more reference pics can be found here:

https://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-2005/

hope this helps. cheers!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psab Keel wrote:

Psab

I highly recommend SF Redeemer(EP III hilt.)

Phillip doesn't handle the customer/public relations side of the business anymore, sooo... you don't have to deal with him. It really is a solid saber, but It will take a while to get to you, especially during the holiday season.
There is no death, there is the Force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: