Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=36a5ef3869f2b9ba3855778a99be55c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

San Francisco Walk for Apraxia (10-21-18)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (1)

(0)

(0)

User Registered Confirmed
storytimewithreyThu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pmThu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm
ObiWanCassie (Cassie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: San Francisco Walk for Apraxia (10-21-18)
Event: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:00 pm

The San Francisco Walk for Apraxia (now in its 4th year) is a fun filled community event to celebrate kids with Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) and their families. CAS is a neuroprocessing disorder which affects the child's ability to create expressive language. While kids with CAS know what they want to say, they must undergo intensive therapy for many years to gain the ability to speak. The SF Walk for Apraxia is one of 70 walks across the country each year raising awareness and funds for Apraxia Kids, the only nonprofit to solely support CAS kids. The funds raised from the walk go to support Apraxia Kids programs like iPads for Apraxia, grants for speech therapy, continuing education for speech therapists, and resources for parents.
Apraxia is an incredibly frustrating and difficult disorder. My own daughter, Avery, was diagnosed with Apraxia at 2 years of age after suffering seizures at birth. Avery spoke mainly sign language for many years, but now at 8 years old she has gained her voice. She would not be where she is today without the support, resources, and community provided by Apraxia Kids. I organize the SF walk to celebrate Avery and kids like her, and to make sure that no Bay Area family goes through this incredibly difficult diagnosis alone. While Apraxia kiddos and their families work hard day in and day out to communicate, Walk Day is a day to come together with community and celebrate our amazing kids. We have a small ceremony to honor the Apraxia kiddos, then a symbolic walk together through Golden Gate Park. Following the walk, we have a festival style celebration for the kids with face painting, balloons, and refreshments; speech therapists are also available to consult with families. This year we expect over 300 participants and would love to have your volunteers at the event. It would be an amazing surprise for the kids.
I very much look forward to hearing from you!
Sara Lai, walk coordinator

Contact Name: Sara Lai
Contact Phone: 510-541-9681
email: saraharreldlai@gmail.com

Organization: Apraxia Kids
Event Name: San Francisco Walk for Apraxia
Venue: Old Speedway Meadow, Golden Gate Park
Address: 371 Chain of Lakes Drive East
City: San Francisco

Date: 10/21/2018

Arrival Time: 9am
Start Time: 10am
End Time: 1PM

Number of Attendees: 300
Minimum Characters: 2
Maximum Characters:5

~RSVP DATE: 10/15/2018~

Blasters: Ok
Lightsabers: Ok

Secure Changing Storage: Yes
All Characters Welcomed!

501st: Yes
Mandalorian Mercs: No

How did you hear about the Rebel Legion: Fellow Apraxia Walk coordinators across the country, our online Facebook community shares resources.

Rebel Legion: Endor Base Regional Captain

Last edited by ObiWanCassie (Cassie) on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
storytimewithrey ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't 100% sure at first if I could attend, but now I'm sure I can! I have my Rey TLJ costume ready to go. Looking forward to it!
- Kathleen (storytimewithrey)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: