Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=97fa6c3cbf2b722fa5eb800f70d49f92Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Information concerning Leia, Lothal costume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alice Dedalus ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Information concerning Leia, Lothal costume Reply with quote

Hello everyone! This year I'd like to make a new Leia costume, the Lothal outfit, but I need some information before proceeding:

-Could knit fabric be used for both shirt and pants?
-Is the shirt stitched to the pants?
-Is there a back seam also on the grey upper part of the shirt?
-Could you please send me the dimensions of the following items?: The gray chest box, the silver box on the belt, the pentagon buckle and its circle/button on the belt, the droid caller.

The costume standards assert that the droid caller and the silver box are mounted respectively on the left and on the right hip, but the character photo looks the opposite. Is there a mistake of some sort in the standards or did I misunderstand anything?

May the force be with you, and thanks to anyone who could help me 😁
[/quote]
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alice. Smile

Nice to see another person wanting to tackle this costume. We don't have a lot of Lothal Leias, but we do have a few, who I hope will come along and answer some of your questions.

For starters, then yes, a knit fabric would be preferred as you need it to be flexible. A tight knit would be great. Woven fabrics tend to be too rigid for something as body hugging as this.

You also don't have to connect the shirt and pants; just make sure they will stay together and not gap. Extra length stuffed into the pants is one option, or you could use something to tie/snap/velcro them together when you wear it.

Not according to the references, but it can be a bit hard to make without it.

As for the costume standards, it had happened before that things were mirrored by accident. If this is the case then we'll need to update it. And no, spotted errors won't affect your approval. References trump standards.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Sword of the Jedi (Anastasia Walat)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice Dedalus wrote:
Hello everyone! This year I'd like to make a new Leia costume, the Lothal outfit, but I need some information before proceeding:

-Could knit fabric be used for both shirt and pants?
-Is the shirt stitched to the pants?
-Is there a back seam also on the grey upper part of the shirt?
-Could you please send me the dimensions of the following items?: The gray chest box, the silver box on the belt, the pentagon buckle and its circle/button on the belt, the droid caller.

The costume standards assert that the droid caller and the silver box are mounted respectively on the left and on the right hip, but the character photo looks the opposite. Is there a mistake of some sort in the standards or did I misunderstand anything?

May the force be with you, and thanks to anyone who could help me 😁
[/quote]

Hi,

My Lothal Leia was just approved this week. So if you have any questions just ask me.

1. I used knit for my shirt and leggings. Actually I think my gray fabric was a scuba knit. Both were found at JoAnn's.

2. The shirt is not stitched to the leggings/pants. Just make the pants high waisted.

3. I have a back seam on both the gray and white part of my shirt. I asked the same question because it's not always there in the animation, but this is a case of reality of the human body vs animation. Make the back seam all the way down. Your body and the fabric will thank you.

4. Chest box ended up roughly 5 inches long including that extra part with the button at the bottom which is about an inch across (the button itself is maybe 1/2 inch) and 4 inches across at the bottom of the trapezoid and about 3 inches across at the top of the box. This could vary a little based on your body type and chest size. The chest box should stay on the gray 'Y' part of the shirt and not go onto the off-white. My box attaches with Velcro.

Silver belt box is about 4x4 inches. Mine is a silver painted crayon box.

Belt buckle is similar dimensions to ANH belt plates about 3 1/2 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches high. Belt button is an inch.

It's not a droid caller, despite what the guidelines say. It's clearly a commlink from certain still shots from the episode and the toy. Just like Ezra and Sabine have. Any standard prop replica of an original trilogy commlink should do. Mine is a painted resin one about 3 inches long. As for attaching it, you can just use a loop to secure in the same color leather as the belt like Ezra and Sabine's are secured. It's hard to see how Leia's is secured, it kinda looks like it is floating in mid-air but this is another issue of reality trumping animation. (I did get a droid caller too just in case but my judge didn't say anything about my commlink.)

Hip box is on the left side commlink on the right.

Hope all that helps.

Edit: Whoops didn't realize you were in Europe. Hope it's not too hard to convert all that to centimeters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: