Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=13d6516c9e19a3a0a93b892295a57e77Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Articulated mouth doesn't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bear ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Articulated mouth doesn't work Reply with quote

Hello everyone I am looking for some help. I have a Wookie Workshop mask and when I put the underskull together the mouth worked fine but when I put the face on it is now so hard to open that it pushes the entire mask down on me. I reinforced the mouth area with power mesh so that the silicone won't rip, I m wondering if that is the mistake I made.

Is there anyone else who had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

I am sad about this as I have the wookie sounds but think it would be silly to have sounds without a moving mouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! Yes, I would bet the power mesh is causing your issues. I did that with one of mine and then couldn't get the jaw moving. Can you take it out?

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacca9 wrote:
Hi there! Yes, I would bet the power mesh is causing your issues. I did that with one of mine and then couldn't get the jaw moving. Can you take it out?

Thanks Bacca9 for the letting me know someone else has had this problem. Yes I think I can get it out without too much trouble I will try that and see if it helps.
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacca9 wrote:

Thanks again Bacca9. I took the mesh off and the mouth works!
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I use ecoflex as a silicone material. It is extremely soft and pliable. I use this because in the case of masks with movements that have to last for years vs weeks. The elongation of Ecoflex is over 500 percent. As long as youre not slicing it, it shouldnt tear. The power mesh should never be added after words. Powermesh is supposed to be cast inside of the silicone. gluing it on after will remove what ever flex it would have had and will make things more rigid.
gato ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the power mesh too on my first mask, but it was tight, so I havent used it since and havent had any problems. If your mask still slides down when you open the mouth, you might want to add a small skateboard/baseball helmet to the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: