Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=96e0bd39514e5b2db4eb0cfcee681d3fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jan Ors build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamelibrarian (Pamela Penza)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Jan Ors build Reply with quote

I'm assuming Jan would be in Fringe--I don't see any standards for her so here we go. I will try very hard to actually update this build thread.

Outer shirt:

Many stores are calling things like these "shackets" and that makes me want to die inside. It just seems like a shirt with cargo pockets to me. Anyhoo, I'm modifying the McCall's pattern M8067:

I sewed a mockup of the pattern pretty much as-is; it's easier for me to modify it when it's on me than when it's flat. I can't conceptualize the 2D to 3D thing.

Yes, I just sewed the collar on top. Fight me.

I didn't add the pockets but I did mock them up and add 4" extra fabric to make the inverted box pleat. I used the pocket pattern from the McCall's as a base.

Things I know I need to change:

Shorten the sleeves so they are more of a cap-style sleeve.

Make the collar and lapel MUCH smaller. Sheesh, these lapels are huge. Jan's are fairly small and a bit rounded at the edges:

The left lapel (and it seems to be only the left?) has a burnt orange lining.

Add a yoke to the front and back (I already cut my back pieces down the center instead of on the fold, as you can see there is a center back seam)

I had to change the contrast on most of my PS4 screenshots because they transferred over super dark.

Take in the side seams--right now I have A LOT of blousing and I want a little less.

I have to figure out what the tab on her left shoulder is--it looks like a large tri glide of some sort? The right shoulder is, I think, a black button similar to the ones on the pockets but larger.

Pants:
I had originally planned to modify a pair of khakis, but to have enough fabric for the cargo pockets on the outer calves I'd need to probably buy two pairs. Plus, the above screenshot shows that there is a funky yoke/seam treatment going on across the back of the pants. There is also a chevron-type seam detail on the upper thighs. So I've got to locate some stretchy khaki twill and work on a pattern for those.

Undershirt:

I bought a cream-colored ribbed shirt with a prominent collar and I plan on dunking it in some coffee or dye to darken it to a grungier tone.

Boots: I plan on using my Jyn boots and flaps for Jan's, except probably without the top flaps, since Jan's pants go over the tops of her books, and Jyn's do not.

Goggles:
I'm thinking about modifying something like this for Jan's goggles:

Belt I am counting six (!!!) belt boxes. I hate making them but fine, here we are. One of them (left side) is much larger than the others. Each belt box also has a subtly different shape or decoration. For the belt itself, I'm not sure if I want to do webbing or leather or both. The square belt buckle looks like it would be more for a webbed belt. The belt also has two layers: a darker inner layer and a lighter/khaki-ish outer layer. Maybe 1 1/2" to 2" wide?

The gun holster ... I don't know what's going on in this shot but I'm guessing it's a pretty basic holster? I am also absolutely terrible at identifying blasters--what is she using?

Bracer (left arm):

This seems a bit simpler than Rey's bracer; I don't think it wraps around itself as many times. I see a green jewel (??) on there--is this supposed to be a comlink?

Glove (right arm):

I'm going to use a larger leather glove and add thin leather strips over the top to create the details.

Kneepads: I will probably make these out of leather and dye them a dark brown. There is a vertical seam on the inner third of the pad and the strap looks like some sort of very wide brown elastic webbing??? Is that a thing?

So that's what I've got so far. Comments/critiques/suggestions welcomed!!!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the weird thing she wears around her waist/hips. I've been calling them panniers in my head. Anyway, it looks like a ribbed brown fabric?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is my jacket/vest/shirt so far:
https://imgur.com/a/noYipzI

I'm slightly panicking because I forgot about the center seam I think I see on the back yoke. So I might have to redo the whole back (huzzah), but honestly, as long as it's not the front pockets again, I'm cool. I have the buttons for the pockets as well, but yesterday I thought I had lost one until I found it in my buttonhole foot. *facepalm* Sidenote: this is my first time using a buttonhole foot and I am kind of obsessed. I want to go around adding buttonholes to lots of other things now.

Today I need to re-draft the sleeves, because I made the sleeve caps too high and the ones I had are VERY fitted to the arm. I also need to add velcro or snaps to the front closure, haven't decided which yet. Depending on the back replacement situation, it then needs some hemming and the addition of the tabs to hold the front button and front greeblie. I'm going to 3D print my greeblie tomorrow at work.

Also on the docket: tea dyeing the undershirt I found, which is more on the white side of off-white than it should be.

I finally got a pair of Veronicas for my Jyn and so I'm making new boot flaps for her and Jan at the same time.

I'm a little stumped on making a mockup of the pants. I bought a stretch khaki fabric and I don't want to use THAT as my working fabric, but I don't have any other stretch wovens to sacrifice. Hmm.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/8jIHLGc
Et voilà, sleeves!
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan is actually in the GSC. http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45818

Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
Costume Leadership Member of The Year 2020
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kristina! I need a flow chart or a list or something lol.

There's probably no good way in our forums to move the thread, ha. :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: