Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f9a0e65756c28abb90ff198415bd870bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Diary Of A Costuming Noob Pt1?- Finding Part Sources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glitchy_comet ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Diary Of A Costuming Noob Pt1?- Finding Part Sources Reply with quote

Diary Of A Costuming Noob.

So I will be honest, I have not made costumes before of any significant grade. I as of this moment have absolutely no idea what I am actually doing. I am just keeping this log so others will learn from my screwups.

X-Wing 2 Costume Standards

Rebel Pilot Costume Standards
So the costuming standards seem to make complete sense, frustratingly enough there are no vendors recommended which honestly makes complete sense. Just because good work in the past does not mean good work in the present, undue favoritism could make the ecosystem overall worse for all involved. Most of all, humans are not one size fits all, this is referenced in the CSL, parts will off the shelf solutions need to be trimmed down to fit the person, just from image searching properly fitted and unfitted flak vests are leagues apart in looks.

X-Wing 2 Patterns

So While the sticky links are great and all, they kinda lack important details. It looks like this thread has a lot of the missing pictures.

Thread Disappointing - pictures are all broken links.

Direct Links
Direct Link 1
Direct Link 2
Direct Link 3

Right, given that I have currently zero sewing skills, zero 3d printing skills and some So-So Model building skills I’m kinda preferring to buy the parts that I would be most likely to screw up on this first go around to get in touch with standards. Again this list is NOT an endorsement of any particular product and I have not spent drastic time verifying accuracy on various products but these are some of the things that I keep seeing recommended on these forums.

The Following list are items I am currently investigating and evaluating as posible sources. I tried to get atleast 2-3 sources per item type just to have something to compare and contrast against.

X-Wing 2 Required Items

X-Wing 2 Orange Flight Suit
Stickied Flight Suit Tutorial

The Tutorial Seems pretty cool but the coveralls are $40 each and you would need two.

I keep seeing the forum user thisiskevin brought up for his work on suits. It may be worth checking out. $125
Orange Flightsuit – Wampawear $130

X-Wing 2 Mid-Calf Black Boots
DLX Jack (imperialboots.com) $200 The sizing seems really off on these. It looks like they are referencing UK measurements as US measurements assuming their EU measurements are correct.
Jackboots CROWPROPS (bigcartel.com) $138 (Will Need input before buying) There is a large rubber tread on these that while not against CSL, it does not exactly look screen accurate. It may be beneficial to ask around before purchasing.

X-Wing 2 Leg Flair Holders -- Silver/grey leg flares in an olive drab or black leg-band holder.

Cool Tutorial
Flare-holder Wampawear $40

Dowels could be cut wood and painted silver?
Metal ones on etsy for ~$8-10 per unit (8 required). I don't want to put links here unless I have seen them recommended by other users here. Note: Metal is heavy and may cause issues with boot?

X-Wing 2 Light grey/silver grey ejection harness

Rebel Pilot Ejection Harness Tutorial
Nylon Webbing $1 per foot?

X-Wing 2 Web Belt
X-Wing Belt – Wampawear $50

If making your own belt, belt buckle is on wampawear for $18 as well.

To meet the “1 of 3” requirements, Mini-flares on the belt. A mix of filled and empty slots are okay. (Reference Standard has 6, belt has 12 Slots, Average price of $5 per flares, Wampawear or Etsy.

X-Wing 2 Flak Vest (Note: Fit to person is important, May require extensive modification if not fit for person)

Flack Vest – Wampawear $125
Xwing Pilot vest (imperialboots.com) $143 (Includes Ejection Strapping)

X-Wing 2 Accurate size grey chest box.

I have yet to see some person not recommend DHPF (Darth Hair)
X-wing Pilot Chest Box DHPF $110

Help: I am losing my mind at this point. Seriously, having to add URL tags is annoying. Note to self link to good docs list.

X-Wing 2 Code Cylinders ( 2-4) Many vendors sell in sets of 3, averaging $10-15 per Cylinder
Code Cylinders – Wampawear $13 Each $36 for 3
Random Etsy Person $30 for 3
Possible Tutorial

X-Wing 2 Black Gauntlet Gloves
Classic Glove (imperialboots.com) $70
Pilot Gloves – Wampawear $50
Possible Amazon $35

X-Wing 2 Accurate Comm Pad

Star Wars Props (holeinthegroundpro.com) $10
Pilot Comm Pad DHPF $20

X-Wing 2 X-Wing helmet with Star Wars-style decoration

DHPFX Kit $199

Again I’m not saying that one kit is better than another nor one vendor is better than another. I’m just compiling a list of things I have seen people suggest. I’m still figuring out what I am going to buy and what to make. I hope to add a part 2 to this with that decision and why it was made. I wish I had a list like this as a springboard. But then again maybe making a list like this is kinda a key learning step. Who Knows.

Edit: Added Additional thoughts, bolding and 100% more Emoticons
X-Wing 1

Edit2: Fixed Link

I hope this helped someone.

--Q X-Wing 2 X-Wing 2
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2021 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your journey. Smile Mine is paused, but I look forward to start it up again.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: