Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cc668d82b3e94863ab376757c920d507Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Aayla Secura WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_Kilo ()

Medals: None

Instagram: erica__kristen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Aayla Secura WIP Reply with quote

So I've started an Aayla Secura costume. Well, to be more precise, I started and Aayla Secura costume almost 2 years ago when I ordered a set of silicone lekku from Twi'lek Pam and then spent the next year and a half looking for the right style of boots and collecting various fabrics and such. Then over the past month, maybe 2, I've cut patterns, fought with my sewing machine (sometimes it won, sometimes I won), and learned out how to apply body paint in time for a con this past weekend. Unfortunately, I did most of this just looking at screenshots from the films. After lurking...I mean looking...at the the costume standards I know there are some alterations I need/want to make -->

- add trim to the edges of the aprons
- adjust the way the belt ties together
- new headgear that fits above the ear cones better and has better coverage in the back under the lekku
- cut out some of the foam inside the lekku to help get rid of the gap in the back where my hairline is super visible (I don't have a photo from that angle at this time) and also so it fits more comfortably on my head
- redo the ankle flaps on the boots (those were a late friday night addition before putting it all on for the first time on saturday morning...yikes!)
- ordered a new lightsaber hilt that looks a little more like the ROTS promo stills but I won't get that in until early next year probably

My biggest concern is the color. Because I was looking around online on a laptop or my phone screen a couple of years ago and trying to compare as best I could to screenshots, I'm worried I missed the mark with the blue I chose to buy for the lekku and thus, the body paint (at least they match each other, lol). I have ordered some of the silicone paint listed in the tutorials section of Twi'lek Pam's website to add the lighter spots to the top so if I need to, I could make an attempt at painting the whole of them but as I haven't done that before, the idea makes me a bit nervous.

Because I knew I would be making alterations, I did not get a variety of angles or closeups from the con, so I really only have the one picture to post up right now. I will however take pictures as I go through the alterations. If anyone has anything I should add to my list above, I'd love the feedback.

=) EK

Echo_Kilo ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received a message from a photographer who took some photos of me in costume at AwesomeCon so I thought I'd post the link here as he included some closer-up shots than the one in my previous post.

https://gcf-photography.smugmug.com/Cosplay/2021Cosplay/20210821AwesomeCon/20210821AaylaSecura/
Echo_Kilo ()

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Pattern Build Reply with quote

Well I didn't get my faux leather bias tape in yet so I figured I'd post info on how I put together my printed top with a bonus on the boot flaps (which I did manage to update this weekend).

First off...FABRIC!! One of the first things I accomplished on this costume. I created the design in PS and uploaded to spoonflower so I could have someone else do the hard part of printing it onto the fabric. The design is apparently still up there if anyone is interested (just let me know and I'll post the name it's listed under). I got 3 yards of the modern jersey, half-drop repeat, 150 dpi.

Onto the pattern. I'm not skilled at creating my own patterns (yet! one day maybe...) so I found a cheap sports bra/top pattern (Mt St Helens Hot Top from Green Pepper Inc) and modified it to suit my own preferences. My 2 biggest alterations: 1) I wanted the bottom hem to fall somewhere in between the bra top and the crop top, 2) The shoulder straps weren't going to come out wide enough so I added a bit to it and went with a 3/8" seam allowance.

Front pattern

Back pattern - the scoop neck was way too high up so I just sort of guessed where I wanted it to come down to and went from there.

Sleeve - ok, so this is where I struggled the most. I had another pattern that had fitted sleeves so I borrowed it, tried it out on some similar (but cheaper and plain) fabric, basted it the printed fabric bodice and figured out from there what I needed to change in the sleeve shape. This is what I ended up with

Boots flaps:
This was a last minute addition the night before attending the con because the boots I had, which took me forever to find btw, had a wrap around buckle at the ankle. So I cut that off and covered up the remaining evidence. Here's a close-up of my boots from the con...

Boot flaps update:
I didn't particularly like the way the above boot flaps looked - the color and texture of the faux leather I used was too different from the boots themselves. Today I found some decent brown leather that matches so much better and the feel of it is leaps and bounds above the previous stuff. I haven't put them on yet, but they're cut and ready to be assembled. You can see the pattern I made up to mimic the shape you can see in TCW series. The strip at the bottom of the pile is one of the straps that I cut off the boots originally so you can see the color matching. I'm hoping to be able to use them to attach the flaps.

Finally, I'm planning to redo the entire belt - switching out the 1.5" leather with 2" leather strap. Once that and the bias tape come in the mail, I can post info on that process.
Echo_Kilo ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Boots update and fabric print Reply with quote

Attached the new flaps to the boots late last night because I couldn't sleep. I think this looks much better than the previous flaps!

I mentioned the fabric print in my previous post but didn't add a picture so I figured I'd add one here in case anyone is interested in seeing the print itself.

That's all for this update. Next update will be after I get the bias tape and belt material in the mail.

=D EK
Echo_Kilo ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Bias Tape take 1 Reply with quote

Got my faux leather bias tape in the mail...unfortunately, I'm not happy with color. At least for this project (definitely going to save it as I'm sure I'll find a use for it at some point!). So I've ordered some in what I hope will be a bit of a lighter shade of brown so I'm back to waiting on the mail again before I can make more progress on my alterations.

Here's the pretty but not quite right bias binding tape set next to the fabric I'm using for the aprons and the outer top (and also for the headgear). There's a little contrast, just not enough, I think:

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2021 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're off to a great start and your progress is looking good. Smile

You're right that the sky blue is too light. It'd be great for The Diva from The Fifth Element, but Aayla is a bit darker and with a touch of green to it.

But I'd recommend you decide which version you go with before you finish making your alterations. There are some minor differences between movie, comic and TCW Aayla and usually you pick one specific version to do. Smile So pick what you're aiming for and make those references your primary. Then you can use the others for back up references if something is hard to see.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Echo_Kilo ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
You're off to a great start and your progress is looking good. Smile

You're right that the sky blue is too light. It'd be great for The Diva from The Fifth Element, but Aayla is a bit darker and with a touch of green to it.

But I'd recommend you decide which version you go with before you finish making your alterations. There are some minor differences between movie, comic and TCW Aayla and usually you pick one specific version to do. Smile So pick what you're aiming for and make those references your primary. Then you can use the others for back up references if something is hard to see.

I kinda figured it wasn't the right shade of blue. I've got some silicone painting supplies on order so I guess that means I'm going to give it a try.

I've been searching around the interwebs for some good screencaps from the movie version where the colors are easier to see/differentiate.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair. It can be a bit tricky and movie lighting isn't always great.

This is a pretty good starting point though: https://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=aayla-secura-episodes-ii-iii

TWC: https://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=aayla-secura-tcw

Echo_Kilo ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: new belt! Reply with quote

Finished off the new(ish) belt! I kept the flaps/aprons from the original, just replaced the two five-sided pieces and added a trim with the same faux leather fabric as said pieces. The belt material is new, 2-inch wide, 5/6 oz tooling leather so it's a little thinner than the 1.5-in wide leather I was working with before making it easier to work with.

The previous belt didn't have ties on both sides while this one does and I added a velcro closure on one side to make it easy to put on and take off.

I'm now waiting on a new covertech clip for the belt in the other style from the one I currently have.

Front:

Back:
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your updates are looking good. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: