Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=433b349bac41da04b55d4e2db48234d0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Keo Venzee [Squadrons]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Animated and Game Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keenkyber (Georgia)

Medals: None

Instagram: keen.cosplay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Keo Venzee [Squadrons] Reply with quote

Starting a build thread for my Keo Venzee, who is a Mirialan A-Wing pilot flying with the Rebel Alliance and Vanguard Squadron from the singleplayer campaign from Star Wars: Squadrons!

I'm working on a costume standard here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119578

And have gathered references images here: https://imgur.com/a/AOpnkTN

Keo's flightsuit appears to have been modeled off of the orange Rogue One suit. So far, I'm planning on sewing the flightsuit, using Simplicity 8722 as a very rough base. I'll be adding some seams, as well as lots of topstitching and pockets. I plan on showing this process here, both to help other Keos and those looking to make the orange Rogue One X-Wing pilots.

For the code cylinders in the pocket of the flightsuit, I'm using an old tutorial for them posted in the X-Wing forums, which can also be found here: http://www.restrainingbolt.com/tutorials/pages/xwingcylinders.html. For the arm commpad, it is the same style and colors as those in Rogue One. I've ordered a raw resin cast from DHPFX on Etsy, and will be painting and weathering it myself when it arrives.

The flak vest is in the Original Trilogy style as opposed to Rogue One like the flightsuit, as shown by the OT buckles, squared corners, white color, and placement on the chest. I'll be on ordering this piece from Imperial Boots.

The chest box, to my knowledge, is a variation of the A-Wing chest box from ROTJ. The general shape appears to be the same, but the greeblies and other details are different. I'll be making this piece myself with Foamex and fiberglass, and potentially casting the greeblies in resin or having a friend 3D print them for me. I'm using 2" olive green webbing from Strapworks to secure it. For the soft roll, I'm using white flag nylon, and stuffing it with quilting batting. For the hose, I'm using a dishwasher hose, and will be covering it in the same white nylon fabric. The elbow hose connector, which I've ordered from WampaWear, will be attached to the flightsuit with magnets.

The belt is the same British PLCE belt with a roll-pin buckle that we see in Rogue One, dyed gray. I've ordered one from a military surplus store, and will be dying it as well as trimming off the excess bits. The belt flares appear to be the same as in Rogue One, which are airline hose connector fittings. Keo has five per side.

The harness is also the same as seen in Rogue One, made out of what appears to be an approximately 2" wide dark gray pleated elastic or similar material. I'm attempting to be able to purchase this separately from the Rogue One flak vest from Imperial Boots, but if that is not possible, I'll be constructing it myself from 2" beige pleated elastic, dying it and sewing it, as the vendor most R1 build threads have used in the past no longer sells the material. If I end up going the self-made route, I'll document my process here.

As for the boots, I've gone ahead and ordered a pair of Knobelbecher boots from ASMC. These have been approved in the past with other pilot costumes, and their appearance matches those provided in the game.

For the leg flares holder, I'm using dark gray webbing from Strapworks, in 2" widths, sewing them together to make 4" while also using the regular 2" for the top fabric piece. For the flares themselves, I've ordered the raw prints from an Etsy vendor, which I will review when they arrive. They're the same as seen in Rogue One and TFA. I'll be trimming, sanding, and painting them myself. Keo has 5, but I've ordered 6, to have a test piece.

For the gloves, they're the black Rogue One X-Wing pilot gloves. I'm currently debating whether to make these myself or buy them from a vendor. This will likely depend on how much time I have left until my self-imposed deadline, and the cost / time I'd have to sink into it.

When not in the cockpit, Keo is seen wearing a cap very similar to the Endor trooper cap from ROTJ / historical ANH-15. I'll be sewing this myself from tan canvas and some scrap faux leather, using this pattern with some minor alterations, including the addition of a hard bill and pleated strip: http://www.greyjedi.me/role_clothing/tutorials/endor_helmet1.html.

When flying, Keo wears an A-Wing helmet with a soft gray cap underneath, both of which are worn over the aforementioned ANH-15. The soft cap is similar in structure to the tan cap, with a few differences in seams and smaller pleats. I'll be using the same base pattern as the ANH, again with some adjustments. I'll be sewing this myself from a gray wool or felt. As for the helmet, it is very similar to the original A-Wing helmet, with a few adjustments, such as different greeblies and a smooth back strip ( versus the ribbed ). I've ordered a 3D print of the ROTJ helmet from KaybeeProps on Etsy, and will be sanding and painting it myself. I'll be constructing the greeblies from a mix of Worbla and bought parts ( wires, etc. ). To fill in the back strip, I'm currently hoping I can achieve this with building up Bondo and sanding in the gaps.

And that's the costume! I plan on documenting my process here as I work on it, alongside creating several video tutorials on YouTube. If anyone has any questions / tips and advice / changes to make, I'd love to hear them. Hopefully you all enjoy this thread as much as I'm sure I'll enjoy making this costume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Animated and Game Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: