Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d1d2225f455472258374a19ebe1b1e72Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Porkins WIP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIZMO8Z ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Porkins WIP! Reply with quote

Hello, all!

As a big guy, I've always connected with Jek Porkins. I remember watching A New Hope for the first time as a kid and being surprised that a chubby guy like me could be a pilot and hero. As a pandemic project, I decided to finally put together my first cosplay (I have been doing WWI and WWII historical reenacting for years). This past Halloween was the first time I wore the costume in public.

The helmet is from Corellia Goods, helmet liner/ chinstrap/ comm wire and chest box are from DHPFX, gloves and boots are from Crow Props, jumpsuit, wrist comm, and web gear are from PilotBay, aluminum flares and code cylinders are from bytestobits on Etsy.

Looking for tips, tricks, and advice to get this cosplay across the finish line for Rebel Legion approval!

Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have currently. I misread the requirements for approval and was only able to snap this one quickly.

Please let me know if you have questions or concerns!

Thanks in advance!!

hawes porkins ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Brother umm hemm sorry my long lost twice removed adopted brother. welcome to the porkins family.glad i wasnt the only one that saw that a chunky butt like myself could become a xwing pilot. im heading more towards the early rogue one porkins as im loosing weight on the regular now. and have just about everything i need for my kit but the flight suit a nd a minor couple things. but am waiting till after the first of the year or so to grab my flightsuit. so i dont have to take it in more than one in a yr or two. you look absolutely great aside from the fact your really shinny. hahaha. for me im going rough tough war torn wear and tear for my kit. as for anything to help get approved i have nothing for you. except welcome to the frey.
GIZMO8Z ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawes porkins wrote:
Welcome Brother umm hemm sorry my long lost twice removed adopted brother. welcome to the porkins family.glad i wasnt the only one that saw that a chunky butt like myself could become a xwing pilot. im heading more towards the early rogue one porkins as im loosing weight on the regular now. and have just about everything i need for my kit but the flight suit a nd a minor couple things. but am waiting till after the first of the year or so to grab my flightsuit. so i dont have to take it in more than one in a yr or two. you look absolutely great aside from the fact your really shinny. hahaha. for me im going rough tough war torn wear and tear for my kit. as for anything to help get approved i have nothing for you. except welcome to the frey.

Thanks for the response! I do need to weather my kit.The bucket is already weathered... part of me is just afraid I'll mess the rest of it up!
hawes porkins ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ive noticed a few things, after really looking over your kit compared to others. from the floor up.1 your leg flares seem to be a tad low they sit on the top edge of the jack boots. most use a couple clips from the back of tape measures to keep the flare holder on the top edge of the boot.2 they might say a little something about he fit of the flight suit as its "supposed to look fitted ". 3 pilots belt the flares are too far away from the buckle. most pilots have them about 3 -4 inches from either side of the buckle.4 your hose connection to the pilots flight suit. should be between the bottom of the flak vest and the pilots belt on your side. 5 your pilots chest box. should be lower the bottom edge of teh box usually sits level with the bottom of the flak vest. the green webbing band sits level with the bottom of the flak vest around to the back. cant see anything around the back. but things ive read they look for.. buckles for the flak vest and chest box run center line of the body.

as far as weathering of the flight suit and kit. easy peasy. one you can use dirt brown and flat black spray paints. hold the cans a ways away from the suit. crumple the suit and lay it on the ground. (i used this technique for weathering my robe for wasteland. for a sun faded look in places) you'll basically be spraying the air above the suit, and making quick passes over it. so it gets misted with the paint. for darker grime areas get a little closer not much. its easier to add than take away. the brown is a little trickier (or rust colored primmer) has to be flat color not gloss or semi or matte. dirty color like arm pit stains get tricky. easier way.. you can rub your flight suit in the dirt in your back yard. really grind the dirt into the suit. in some places. this will also take the brightness out of the flight suit. do the same with all teh grey webbing and your flak vest. the flak vest be a little more gentle on. and then let all the dirt dry on the kit for a few days in the sun outside. your going to want to get a burnt umber and black acrylic paint from the local joanns or craft store near you. mix the burnt umber with the black till you get a used motor oil look. and dilute a little with water or alcohol. put it in a spray bottle and spray down your chest box and hose. blot it gentle with a paper towel to get the excess off, and wipe some faces off kinda clean. let the wash run into the crevices and such. thatll weather your box and hose. and then let dry. you could also use a fine misty spray from the spray bottle to also dirty up your flightsuit youll have a better control over the whole suit. and where you want it dirtier or cleaner. take a charcoal briquette.and crush it up. and use a pair of gloves when you do this things can get black messy and it will stay in your pores of the skin for a day or two if you dont have garage hand cleaner. or pumice soap. use the dust sparingly to create streaks of black grime. or spots of black grime. edges of pockets that have flaps the area where the code cylnders sitjust on top of the tube they sit inedges of clothing or places that get rubbed by equipment get the dirtiest grime on clothing. thats not black allready. so start with teh simpler stuff like dragging and grindind the dirt into the suit and heavier grinds in places. and go up from there. once i get mine done ill look like a dirty butt space jock thats been around for ages and never washed my suit hahaha..
hawes porkins ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah and wash everything by hand only never machine and let air dry. thatll set the dirt stains and all very well. but yeah hand wash or should say rinse. no detergents. and air dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: