Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3d8579edfd28c8837fdcd6edbb9ec200Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Paz Viz WIP (will submit if Paz Viz is adopted into RL!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topsljack ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

Instagram: topsljack
Mandalorian Mercs Clan: Manda'galaar
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Paz Viz WIP (will submit if Paz Viz is adopted into RL!) Reply with quote

Hi all!!

Am in the process of building a Paz Viz (Heavy Mandalorian). I am aware of course that the Rebel Legion has not yet decided if they will be bringing on Paz into the Fringe ranks, but in hope and anticipation, here is my build thread (I guess for the fun of it only at this point).

Armor Model for 3D printing: Marko Makaj (beautiful designs)

Colors:
Krylon Fusion Matte Blue Ink (Dead ringer for the hue of Baltic Blue that the MMCC identified as a close screen match). Note that Baltic Blue is a color-name for many brands of paint, all of which have a different shade to them. This means that finding a correct "Baltic-Blue" in the MMCC CRL is really quite a pain. Anyone working on a Paz Viz may want to go get a ton of that Krylon Fusion though, comes out perfect!

Krylon Fusion Dark-Metal (under-coat)

Yellow Ocre (Google the spray from art supply stores. This color, also identified by the MMCC is really great, best yellow I have seen as a match to the great Paz.

Reference Images:
PR

Image of the left-Pauldron, noting the size of the Mythasaur image.
[img width=650 height=413]https://i.imgur.com/qSSkZ12.jpg[/img]

Expanded shot showing the shoulder strap

Thigh Armor; the screen used looks like just an ABS wrap (with some features), painted like the rest of the armor. One of the action figures has wonky bucket-looking back-plates. I am staying with what is closest to screen used, as opposed to the action-figure design (see below)

Here is the action figure, notice how complex the back-of-thigh plates are!

------------------------------

Update: 8/2/2021: Well, got some painting done this weekend. First I painted the way that many of the guys on the Heavy Mando FB Group have done: Montana Dark Blue. I figured that maybe with weathering, it could be made to look close. Guess what, not even CLOSE! Note the repaint using the Krylon.

Take a look at the difference between a Montana Gold Dark-Blue and Krylon Matte Blue Ink:

Montana:

Krylon:

Crazy different, right? The Krylon blue reminds me of the color some WWII carrier aircraft were painted, along with industrial engines of the 40's-50's. So, humbled appropriately, painting the proper blue has begun!

Here again is the best day-light screen-shot of Mr. Paz: While granted this is heavily filtered in the movie-making process, the armor is definitely a grey-ish blue and not a deep, dark blue.

8/5/21 Update: Yellow Ocre arrived!
Well, the Montana Yellow Ocre has arrived! It was only available via a art-store website (not Amazon). It is a fantastic, thick spray though...am loving how easy it is to apply! Before putting it on, I handled the print lines by applying epoxy and sanding that down a bit:

Then Put on the Ocre:

UPDATES 9/5/21
Re did the Gaunts and Jetpack, mostly to remove print-lines and also to align better with the PR image (see below):

Jetpack with flame-tubes (whatever they are called) darker instead of silver, except for the tips:

Gaunts (the brown one is too red and not quite dark enough, IMO:
[img width=487 height=650]https://i.imgur.com/Ffofb6X.jpg[/img]

Chest:

Attached chest parts with flexible ABS strips (like a TK butt-plate): [img

Armored Hose (need a total of 26 armor links, the rest are printing now and then this part will be fully line-filled and painted:

Shoulders (Did these with two different snap-plates, to help with adjustment. Went with these because velcro simply does not last:

Back Thighs:

9/17/2021
First test fitting!

Plenty of mini-issues associated with moving, also I'll need to fish out a balaclava, because my next and hair can easily be seen with this helmet. The whole thing is quite comfy, believe it or not!

Am fixing the chain-hose that connects to the blaster (currently I am letting it dangle from the jet-pack). The shoulders trap for the blaster is ready as well, I just have to attach the harness points to the blaster.

Also working on the flamethrower hose for the yellow gauntlet.

In these images, the right shoulder comes back too far (I have to simply adjust it forward, I was doing this test-fit all by myself and Balin my dog there kept getting excited and in the way!).

9/21/21: Weathering added (light coating of dirt/dust to everything) and Kit up!

Things I need to fix still:
Cod-top needs to attach to bib to keep the cod covered properly, legs can be moved up an inch. Also I need to find a way to keep the right thigh from knocking into the knee plate too much (causes a bit of scuffing).

Something learned: I really don't like how the thighs and breeches fit on this this build. Turns out, I had the white breeches totally wrong! They are supposed to be opened in the back and front, not just the front (which changes everything in regards to fit and mobility). Also, the set I had was not super high quality. New version is on the way!

Evidence for rear-opening (which is common in the medieval version of these as well, which would be known as arming-pants, chasseurs or leg-gamesons):

Here is what I will be trying out next, note that the thigh armor can attach right to the breeches and that the breeches are modified with a suspender harness. Absolutely brilliant (Got the idea from the Heave Infantry Mandalorian FB support group, which I recommend joining for those looking to make one of these!).

Event Coordinator, Sunrider Base
phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I recognize those armored shorts! (that's a pic from my suit)

I came here to see what the thoughts were on Paz as a rebel. My suit is just about ready to submit too!

Another big tip is for the Marko thighs: don't use his backs! I cut the backs out of sheet styrene (0.080, what i would use to vac form armor). It's a lot thinner, so you have less thigh rub / better mobility.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, almost done with mine too.
Topsljack ()
Active Legion Member

Instagram: topsljack
Mandalorian Mercs Clan: Manda'galaar
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the tips and also for the source on those leg-paddings, I have a set coming in early Dec, at which point I think I can finish this thing up!

I believe that you should just submit when ready and see what happens!

phantom8 wrote:

I came here to see what the thoughts were on Paz as a rebel. My suit is just about ready to submit too!

Another big tip is for the Marko thighs: don't use his backs! I cut the backs out of sheet styrene (0.080, what i would use to vac form armor). It's a lot thinner, so you have less thigh rub / better mobility.

Event Coordinator, Sunrider Base
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topsljack wrote:
Thank you so much for the tips and also for the source on those leg-paddings, I have a set coming in early Dec, at which point I think I can finish this thing up!

I believe that you should just submit when ready and see what happens!

phantom8 wrote:

When you submit, make sure to include a link to an album of the reference pictures your used for your build. (Fun fact, including reference images for costumes without a standard with your app are a charter requirement!) I also highly recommend linking a build thread and including as many detail shots of your completed costume as you can. These things will reduce the number of things the LCJ team has to ask you for and will help to speed up the time it takes to evaluate the application.
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
Costume Leadership Member of The Year 2020
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: