Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=948fb2577b1fcf28942671f4c99d8319Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mirax WIP and questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihala ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Mirax WIP and questions Reply with quote

I have decided to go for Mirax for my first costume (while we all continue to research TFA Leia)
I have both English riding boots and two other pairs of plain black boots, so that is done.
I have the shirt and pants.
I have several jackets, deciding which one will be most suitable to rework.
I have a DL-44 but it may not meet standards (it's a little smaller than the movie prop, but I'm smaller than Han)
I have a wig that can be cut to match her hair.

Questions:
Does anyone know a source for the actual military style braid for the blood stripes? If not, what would be the best substitute?
I have a good example of the back graphic, but not the writing around it...it looks like aurebesh but I am having trouble deciphering it. I think can do just the circle, but the writing adds to the look. What does it say? I don't have the novel to check if it is described. Or do I make up something?

Any input would be helpful, a lot of the Mirax links here seem to be broken or gone.
I'll try to start posting some pics tomorrow of what I have so far
Thanks!
Ihala ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found this from the card game

So translating this makes no sense to me: "The art of grna t gares decipherl corporat Id"
Or close to it. A couple of the characters aren't clear.

So I'm making the jacket to wear this weekend and I'm thinking of changing the text to something that makes more sense. Pulsar Skate, or Corellia something.

In the comic you can't ever see it clearly, but it doesn't seem to match the card. Would alternate text be approvable? I know I can just do the graphic without the Aurebesh but it looks cool.

Any opinions?
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this character canon or from the Extended Universe? I'm very curious. If it's from the latter group, I must say I am impressed at the length costumers can go to making an authentic costume from only print materials (or cartoons). I saw someone is even making a Leia based on Rebels(?) cartoon. Other than shape and color, you don't have anything else to go by.

I've been eyeballing Bazine Netal from TFA, but haven't been able to get my hands on the exact black and white material yet. I cansay without a doubt that she would be infinitely easier to recreate (for me) then attempting one from oscure origins.

Hats off to you! rock
Ihala ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouragement Smile
Mirax is in the Rogue Squadron comics and is in some of the novels. She ends up being Mrs. Corran Horn.
There is a CRL for both her known outfits, but most of the links here are broken.
I ended up buying both comic books, then my husband showed me the card game version of her jacket design.
The RL has approved this costume several times, but the only photos I've found of those (back view) just did the circular graphic, not the writing. In the comic, she has it both ways, as well as nothing at all on the back. CRL simply calls for "graphic design".

I may just go for it, then if I need to upgrade it I will. I need a non armor costume of some Swarzy description for next weekend. Not gonna work a Con table for three days in full-on Mando. Been there, not comfy! Lol
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Hey, you're in MidSouth Garrison? Smile I'm hoping to make Wonderfest in Louisville early June. It's about the only one I can make so far posted this year. The Bats baseball game is the same day as Evansville Otters, so I troop at home first.

Maybe I'll catch you around sometime and get to see your costume currently WIP. Smile

I've got a Leia dress I wear (switch it up with a Zam Wesell). I'm planning to remake it in the suede this summer.
Ihala ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
Oh! Hey, you're in MidSouth Garrison? Smile I'm hoping to make Wonderfest in Louisville early June. It's about the only one I can make so far posted this year. The Bats baseball game is the same day as Evansville Otters, so I troop at home first.

Maybe I'll catch you around sometime and get to see your costume currently WIP. Smile

I've got a Leia dress I wear (switch it up with a Zam Wesell). I'm planning to remake it in the suede this summer.

Not yet, I'm a member of MMCC, custom FemMando. Actually working toward membership with MidSouth too.

I want a Zam! I think you're on the BH guild Zam threads, right? That will be a long build so I'm going for a generic officer or Ysanne Isard first. Eventually I'll go for Bo Katan or Rav Bralor.

The Mercs troop with MidSouth sometimes, great bunch of folks. We just did the Gallatin Library's Star Wars Day last weekend. Next weekend is ConNooga in Chattanooga, the Mando Mercs do a Jail-n-Bail there to fundraise for charity plus a fan table. I heard RL is planning a fan table there too, not sure about 501st. There are several of us working on dual/triple membership Smile

Hubby and I do as many events as we can, but real life usually wins Wink
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihala wrote:
I want a Zam! I think you're on the BH guild Zam threads, right? That will be a long build so I'm going for a generic officer or Ysanne Isard first. Eventually I'll go for Bo Katan or Rav Bralor.

Yes, I use the same name everywhere. I can't seem to wrap my head around having various alias everywhere I go; it's just too close schizophrenia to me.

Yes, the Zam build did take a long time. Kinda depends on how much money you can slap down for having someone else do the work. I couldn't, hence my build is a year on. Good news is that all I'm waiting on now is the gauntlets from MonCal and I can be a real bounty hunter! Wink All in all, I only bought from MonCal (gauntlets) and JDFett (resin greeblies). The rest is all me. However, I have to make a little disclaimer: It is always a good thing to make nice with those that come before you, because they didn't have the help they can give you if you ask nicely. And though my build is really nice (to me), I wouldn't have gotten as far as quickly as I had without their help.

Just another reason I can say that those of you who build from print material only are really setting that bar standard high. Looking forward to your images.
kalesuilon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Awesome seeing another Mirax fan around here Smile

I recently submitted my Mirax to RL and was accepted. For my jacket, I had only the logo and not the text. Personally, I think it looks better in person to do it that way. If you want, I can direct you to the person who made my patch. She did a fantastic job. I just stitched it onto my jacket and it looks great!

Let me know if there's anything I can help with. We always need more EU cosplayers Very Happy
ionicdesign (Michael)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 9 (View more...)

Mandalorian Mercs Clan: Meshurok Clan
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihala wrote:
Ok, I found this from the card game

So translating this makes no sense to me: "The art of grna t gares decipherl corporat Id"
Or close to it. A couple of the characters aren't clear.

So I'm making the jacket to wear this weekend and I'm thinking of changing the text to something that makes more sense. Pulsar Skate, or Corellia something.

In the comic you can't ever see it clearly, but it doesn't seem to match the card. Would alternate text be approvable? I know I can just do the graphic without the Aurebesh but it looks cool.

Any opinions?

Interesting, so the art on the card was a bit of an in joke for the card company. Was this made first, is the comic art based on that?

If not does anyone know of any other reference on the logo text?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: