Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bf9b4afbfad21150379556deb305fc82Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso WIP - IGC DISGUISE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
love your progress!

The gloves are fine. TIE pilots, Gunners and all the other costumes that use gloves like this are in them all day. Im in deep South Louisiana and I troop outdoors in full heat, in my TIE pilot and Gunner. Just drink some water before hand. When I bought my Jawachopshot helmet there was no armor available yet, I figured i tould do it in Sintra, but now that ive seen how WTFs armor looks, I cant wait to see how it comes out for you. Ill be watching this with interest.

thanks for the kind words!
And I'm already used to sweating in Jyn in Florida, sooooo.... just more of the same with this =)

Ra Kura Base West Florida Captain
Rogues Reef Hangar Bay Deck Officer
Docking Bay 94 Rogue Captain
-------------------—-
Instagram: @natblack1971 and @crosswindscosplay
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIMMING THE MAIN CHEST ARMOR (cont.)

Figuring out the trim lines for the top edge of the chest armor vexed me for the better part of a week, wanting to make sure it was RIGHT before committing to any cuts.

I was planning on going with a line that was all straight lines and angles, until I lightened up a screen cap from The Star Wars Show episode that had featured the armor and realized there was something else going on there.

This matched up to what I was seeing in this promo photo and the Hot Toys IGC doll.

It's a slight curve, not a straight line across. Maybe this isn't news, but I hadn't noticed that before.

And it also makes sense from a style perspective when you look at all the other curved edges on this piece of armor. So that's what I went with and that's the hill I'll die on if I'm wrong =)

Unfortunately some of the plastic in that area isn't the best looking, but there's not much I can do about that since I'm not going to be painting this.

Onwards!

-------------------—-

Last edited by natblack (Natalie Black) on Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeahhhhhhhhh.....some of the wtf molds dont leave a lot of waste space. I built four wtf TIE rigs , so I get it. Work with what you have.

Squadron Commander, DragonSnake Squadron

Regimental Sergeant Major, RMMC, 6th Expeditionary Force, Tannerman Rifles Regiment.

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIMMING THE BACK

Unlike the chest armor, the back is all straight lines and angles, and luckily straightforward.

Here are my trim lines taped up (the outside edge of the tape).

-------------------—-
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PREPPING HOLES FOR THE LEDs

There are two slots, front and back, that can either be painted red, or cut out and lit up like they did in the movie. I can't resist doing it the screen accurate way, so I spent some time carefully getting those slots cleaned out.

I started with the small drill bit that came with my Dremel, and created the rounded ends of each led slot.

Once those were in, I scored from hole to hole along the edges before going to work on one of the edges. I used my knife kind of like a push saw and kept at it until I sliced through one side. I taped up around the area I was working on just incase I slipped with my knife. After the first edge was free, I could push and pop off the piece.

At this point it looked janky AF, so it was time to sand it into shape. I used some cheap disposable emery boards because the size was perfect for this.

Looks nice after sanding! Now to figure out the gameplan for the lighting...

Rinse and repeat for the other piece.

-------------------—-
ID10T (Jim)

Medals: None

Instagram: watch_this.hold_my_beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on this costume! I think Jyn is bad-arse and I’m sorry she was vaporized at the end of R1...

Try a piece of acrylic as a “fiber optic” lit by a LED for those large areas.

The trick is determine if you want clear acrylic, lit by a colored LED, or colored acrylic, lit by a “clear” LED (note clear LEDs usually have a blue cast to them)
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID10T wrote:
Great work on this costume! I think Jyn is bad-arse and I’m sorry she was vaporized at the end of R1...

I know, right! Rude!

ID10T wrote:
Try a piece of acrylic as a “fiber optic” lit by a LED for those large areas.

The trick is determine if you want clear acrylic, lit by a colored LED, or colored acrylic, lit by a “clear” LED (note clear LEDs usually have a blue cast to them)

That's the exact debate I'm having with myself right now. I've got both clear and red on hand. Leaning toward red (acrylic) so there's a bit of color should I run into a low battery situation.

-------------------—-
ID10T (Jim)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the LED wants 3V to operate well, so I used a pair of 1.5V AAA rechargeables in my water container (check it on RPF if you haven't yet!)

I don't recall exactly, but I THINK the CR123 batteries are 3V, so you could use one of those (or several in parallel for longer run times). They "keep" for a long time, if you don't wear the outfit for a year (or ten) which is better than the typical batteries can do.

The rechargeable AA or AAA option is good because they are easy to find (even in North Africa!) if you get into a situation...

If you "polish" (scratch, really) the top surface where the light will be seen, with 1000 grit to "cloud" it a bit, this will diffuse the light so it appears to be lit across the entire surface. Leaving it totally clear, you may see a "hot spot" of light, and outside that, not much.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had good luck with Electroluminescent light sheet run on a set of batteries. its an even light distributed edge to edge on the sheet and runs for several hours, wihtout the hot spots seen wiht LEDS under an acrylic. Its a really small space, so LEDs may be eisier/ cheaper if you already have them on hand. I always sand mine to a frosty appearance before installing them.

Squadron Commander, DragonSnake Squadron

Regimental Sergeant Major, RMMC, 6th Expeditionary Force, Tannerman Rifles Regiment.

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXING THE RUBBER STRAPS

So I tackled the uneven rubber straps that came with my kit by "filleting" them down to a consistent depth. And yes, that's my good Wusthof bread knife in the picture. The long, serrated blade was key to pulling this off. There are a few imperfect spots on the underside, but once I get the foam on, no big deal.

I also wasn't thrilled with the color on these. They were more gray, less black. Luckily for me, I have some Angelus black paint in my stash. This leather paint is the gold standard when it comes to flexible paint. I tested it out on the scrap I cut off and love the way it looks. Much closer to what we see on screen.

-------------------—-
ID10T (Jim)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing better than a bread knife for cutting thick foam too! Next time you are at Salvo’s grab a few kitchen knives for the workshop.

That black paint looks great! I found a rainbow of colors of this paint at the art supply store yesterday. I was looking for ultra-fine silver paint markers (which I got) and came across the display.
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both straps are now painted and the foam backing is cut.

-------------------—-
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASSEMBLY BEGINS

Time to break out the e6000! After roughing up the mating surfaces with sandpaper, I used my SCUBA weights to keep everything in place while the glue cured. Worked like a charm!

The attachment for the right chest needed some help to stay put while drying and curing, so I added a small (M3) bolt through this area into the chest piece. Between this and the weights, it's exactly where I want it. 

The SCUBA weights are great for these hard to clamp areas. You can build up the weights underneath to support the piece and prevent stress on the plastic.

-------------------—-
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORE DETAILS

I added some scraps of plastic to the underside of the front strap attachment point that has the circular indent detail. This was to create a more level mounting point for the velcro that I added.

The armor kit came with a resin cast square that you could paint and attach, put I prefer to use a colored acrylic so I ordered a small sheet of blue (as well as red transparent for the lighting details) and a fresh plastic scoring tool. I scored and snapped two squares for this - one for the top and a second, smaller square to sit into the indent in the armor. I used some sandpaper to soften the corners a bit, then wet sanded and polished to get rid of the cutting/sanding evidence. Everything was e6000'd in place and cured overnight.

I also figured out the placement for the TIE greeblies and went ahead and drilled the hole for the disk. I'm going to hold off on gluing the jack/snap on until I've done my final polish of the two larger pieces prior to gluing them together. 

It's starting to look more and more recognizable!

-------------------—-
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIGHTING

I scored and snapped 1.5" x 1.5" squares of red clear acrylic to use for the lighting details on the front and back. After clouding the interior sides, I used a heat gun to shape the square for the front edge and e6000 in place. After playing around with my LEDs I realized a second layer of the acrylic would go a long way toward preventing hot spots in the lights, so I repeated this process with the exception that I sanded both sides of these pieces. 

I wanted these light details to be bright enough that you'd see them during daylight troops, so I ended up grabbing a pair of cheap "As Seen On TV" stick on lights from a local store for $6 and pulling them apart for the LEDs inside. Each pair runs on 3 AAA batteries and are REALLY bright!

I shortened the wires between the pairs of LEDs to match the spacing on the armor, then attached them to cheap pre-wired 3 AAA battery holders with on/off switches. (Don't look too close, some of that soldering is ugly )!

Next up I created a pair of simple mounts for the LEDs out of some scrap polystyrene sheet. (if it's good enough to build ship models for the movies, it's good enough for this ). E6000 was used to attach the LEDs, and they're ready to be permanently attached when everything else is done.

Really happy with how this is starting to look!

I'll deal with any light leak issues once I have the foam installed and everything else is attached. Very Happy

-------------------—-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: